SiouxSports.com Forum

New Coach

UND-SPORTS-FAN

22 minutes ago, UND1983 said:

I always love it when fans lament "losing our talent if we fire the coach".  We have 1 conference win. Does it really matter if we lose that "talent". 

FWIW, Bruns is averging 9 pts on an average team and shooting 41 percent from field. He stuck out here cause we had nobody else.

This team definitely has talent though is the only issue. With a different coach and a different system we are a middle of the pack Summit team. Sather absolutely needs to go, but they need to try keep Omot, Eaglestaff, Brooks, and Norman for sure.

• Upvote 2

Just now, HoopsFan03 said:

This team definitely has talent though is the only issue. With a different coach and a different system we are a middle of the pack Summit team. Sather absolutely needs to go, but they need to try keep Omot, Eaglestaff, Brooks, and Norman for sure.

Disagree.  I simply look at the players on the other team for my comparison's.  They look better, are bigger and have more length.  

4 minutes ago, UND1983 said:

Disagree.  I simply look at the players on the other team for my comparison's.  They look better, are bigger and have more length.  

For Brooks and Norman, yes. But Omot and Eaglestaff, no. If we had Eaglestaff at the 2 and Omot at the 3 that is great size and length at the 2 and 3. Not many teams have 6'6" and 6'8" wings. The issue is we have one being the backup point when he isn't a PG and the other is playing the 4 when he isn't a 4. Put them in the right positions and they will excel in this league. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

1 minute ago, HoopsFan03 said:

For Brooks and Norman, yes. But Omot and Eaglestaff, no. If we had Eaglestaff at the 2 and Omot at the 3 that is great size and length at the 2 and 3. Not many teams have 6'6" and 6'8" wings. The issue is we have one being the backup point when he isn't a PG and the other is playing the 4 when he isn't a 4. Put them in the right positions and they will excel in this league. 

I added Norman and Brooks in there because you need Norman for shooting the ball. He can shoot the crap out of the ball. And I feel like Brooks could develop into a really good slasher and pesty defender. Has shown flashes but him not being able to shoot the ball at all has hindered his development. 

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

Tranfer portal is here at college basketball.  How many quality transfers want to play for a team that has had single digit wins the past 2 seasons and is looking to do that again this year and looking to finish last in the conference 2 years in a row?  

Look at Western Illinois.

16 hours ago, UND1983 said:

Extension?  simple question 

Extension?  I hope not but I wouldn't be surprised either.   I heard yesterday that NDSU secretly extended their coach last summer and that program is nothing to brag about.  The Bison lost to both SDSU and USD this weekend.   Maybe Chaves is smarter.

13 minutes ago, Hawkster said:

Extension?  I hope not but I wouldn't be surprised either.   I heard yesterday that NDSU secretly extended their coach last summer and that program is nothing to brag about.  The Bison lost to both SDSU and USD this weekend.   Maybe Chaves is smarter.

Those 2 teams can hold Nelson down, shows where UND needs to get better at.

was surprised that forum guys didn’t know about that extension or maybe they didn’t want to ask 

Chaves may well give an extension at the end of this season

1 hour ago, Hawkster said:

NDSU and UND aren't even in the same conversation for the state of each basketball program. I don't understand how we win our second conference game of the season in February and all of a sudden the program is turned around and Sather knows how to coach. An extension sets this program back even further. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Hawkster said:

2015 -19-20 made it to the dance.

16-21-22 made it to the Summit championship.  

12 minutes ago, GoodGood said:

Don’t want to get excited about beating another NET 300 ranked team. It was fun to watch a game where we were clearly the better team on the floor though. A lot of winnable games down the stretch here that would make things interesting 

This.  Everyone but ORU and maybe SDSU suck this year.  The fact that we have 2 conf wins, given the state of the Summit this year, says a lot.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, sioux24/7 said:

It was a bad take by Hawkster. We would love to have the success NDSU has had. 

6 hours ago, Bison Dan said:

2015 -19-20 made it to the dance.

16-21-22 made it to the Summit championship.  

I know a few NDSU grads who complain constantly about Richman and how he's a worthless coach.   Seems to me there used to a thread on Bisonville as well about Richman running the team into the ground.   It always looked like he wasn't universally loved by many.

26 minutes ago, Hawkster said:

I know a few NDSU grads who complain constantly about Richman and how he's a worthless coach.   Seems to me there used to a thread on Bisonville as well about Richman running the team into the ground.   It always looked like he wasn't universally loved by many.

They do consistently complain about him but he’s had a pretty successful run. Starts slow a lot but picks it up in conference season play and the conference tournament. 

On 2/3/2023 at 7:40 PM, SWSiouxMN said:

Bingo.  They were in a far worse spot that UND and in 3 years under Jeter, find themselves back near the top of the Summit. 

And he'll leave and the program will likely fall back into the abyss because he didn't build anything.
Look at Missouri State's FB program. Petrino tried to do the same thing before he bolted. And then bolted again a few weeks later. And MSU's football program is going to continue to struggle.

Absolutely need to use the transfer portal to plug holes. But it isn't going to build into long-term success if that is the plan.
What they are doing now isn't working either and they are trying to adjust. Easier said than done, otherwise it would work for everyone....

On 2/4/2023 at 5:56 PM, UND1983 said:

Extension?  simple question 

Not our decision, gonna happen or not happen, just starts a whole new string of everything that has already been posted ad naseum. 

ad nauseam adverb

IIf someone discusses something ad nauseam, they talk about it so much that it becomes very boring:

I don't understand anyone majorly defending Sather through all of this. He hasn't done anything during his time here. 9-17 with maybe one more win left on the schedule.

People can talk about the transfer portal all the want, but every team in the league and the country has to face the transfer portal. They can talk about not having the players with the size or physical play like other teams. The coach recruits these kids, if he can't get them to stay or develop them or have them game ready, that is on him.

Not saying it is an easy job, or that everything is within Sather's control, and that's not always fair BUT after multiple years of this has he done anything to EARN and extension? 

I'm not a basketball fan, so it doesn't make a huge difference to me, but I do enjoy when UND has a good year. Gives me something else to follow casually and watch. Definitely been a few years since I've been able to do that.

(Hoping the win over Denver sets a tone for a the hockey series this weekend! :) )

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, CMSioux said:

Not our decision, gonna happen or not happen, just starts a whole new string of everything that has already been posted ad naseum. 

ad nauseam adverb

IIf someone discusses something ad nauseam, they talk about it so much that it becomes very boring:

Ad nauseam, ad infinitum