SiouxSports.com Forum

New Coach

UND-SPORTS-FAN

51 minutes ago, HoopsFan03 said:

Not a good look for our program! 

You deleted your post saying something to the effect of “you’re judging our program based off 10 year old kids giving them high fives…. Really?” To “not a good look for our program!” Maybe it’s a bit tongue in cheek but odd change. 

17 minutes ago, sioux24/7 said:

You deleted your post saying something to the effect of “you’re judging our program based off 10 year old kids giving them high fives…. Really?” To “not a good look for our program!” Maybe it’s a bit tongue in cheek but odd change. 

Misread his comment the first time. Sorry mistakes happen. It will never happen again!

2 hours ago, nodak651 said:

This.  To answer @jdub27's question about where the funding for the buyout should come from - pretty much anywhere else.  If there aren't basketball boosters who would help to fund it, why hasn't Chaves done anything to keep former basketball alumni and potential donors more engaged?  I see the hockey program is doing the "one more skate" thing, bringing back guys like Ed Belfour, etc.  Meanwhile, UND didn't even do anything to honor the passing of the legendary UND basketball coach, Bill Fitch.  No wonder the program is where it is... A lack of money isn't an "out" for Chaves - it just highlights another one of his deficiencies (fundraising).  If there aren't donors lined up to help with the buyout, Chaves could do something as simple as bussing the hockey team to Omaha next year, rather than chartering a flight.  That would probably satisfy the entire buyout, which is only like 80K.  Which is a higher priority to Chaves, the men's basketball coach or one charter flight to Omaha?  If not that, maybe he could work with the Ralph, which retained about a million dollars in profit.

Fair, but the huge focus continues to be the need to get HPCII done (along with another smaller project that should be announced soon). I think they have done some pretty creative things to find funding sources for projects (see Memorial Village). That doesn't mean there isn't room for improvement, because it is definitely there. No one in the athletic department would argue any differently. Part of that also falls with the Alumni Foundation. Bringing Brekke back (who has a lot of ties to the MBB program) should help with that.

The water was soured with basketball alums under the previous regime and the current staff has been doing a lot of work behind the scenes to improve it and I believe they've made some decent progress there. If you look at the Betty, there is a donor wall that would reflect some of that.

1 hour ago, jdub27 said:

Fair, but the huge focus continues to be the need to get HPCII done (along with another smaller project that should be announced soon). I think they have done some pretty creative things to find funding sources for projects (see Memorial Village). That doesn't mean there isn't room for improvement, because it is definitely there. No one in the athletic department would argue any differently. Part of that also falls with the Alumni Foundation. Bringing Brekke back (who has a lot of ties to the MBB program) should help with that.

The water was soured with basketball alums under the previous regime and the current staff has been doing a lot of work behind the scenes to improve it and I believe they've made some decent progress there. If you look at the Betty, there is a donor wall that would reflect some of that.

Think there’s plans to add a practice facility too for the Betty, right? I guess probably nothing concrete but I know it’s been talked about. If that happened I think they could renovate the Betty a bit to have a more intimate feel. The bleachers to me seem like they’re way too far away from the baseline and they’re tiny high school like bleachers. 

• Upvote 2

55 minutes ago, sioux24/7 said:

Think there’s plans to add a practice facility too for the Betty, right? I guess probably nothing concrete but I know it’s been talked about. If that happened I think they could renovate the Betty a bit to have a more intimate feel. The bleachers to me seem like they’re way too far away from the baseline and they’re tiny high school like bleachers. 

Wonder why they haven't done this already, financing it the same way the Betty was.

1 hour ago, sioux24/7 said:

Would they have to raise the roof on the north and south ends

don't see how they can go much higher with seats on those ends

43 minutes ago, sioux24/7 said:

image.jpeg.f964f189ca54eeebd33e3e65bad5829b.jpegI’m by no means an architect but there seems to be a lot of room on the north/south side. 

Suppose the height could be from low on each back side

i imagine they would be roll in seats 

This is probably for way down the road, but food for thought I guess.  With college hockey teams like CC building new arenas and the Gophers and I believe New Hampshire reducing the size of their ice sheets from Olympic to NHL, at some point it may make sense for the REA to reduce the size the size of the practice sheet down to the NHL size, which would reduce the width by 15 ft.  This would only make sense when SCSU moves to or near the NHL dimensions. With the basketball and volleyball locker rooms (I believe) butting up to the the practice ice sheet, those spaces could have the potential to be expanded by up to 15 fit, perhaps as the next project after the practice gym and new seating are completed.  Thinking like 10-15 years from now, unless by some miracle they move back into the hyslop.

16 minutes ago, nodak651 said:

This is probably for way down the road, but food for thought I guess.  With college hockey teams like CC building new arenas and the Gophers and I believe New Hampshire reducing the size of their ice sheets from Olympic to NHL, at some point it may make sense for the REA to reduce the size the size of the practice sheet down to the NHL size, which would reduce the width by 15 ft.  This would only make sense when SCSU moves to or near the NHL dimensions. With the basketball and volleyball locker rooms (I believe) butting up to the the practice ice sheet, those spaces could have the potential to be expanded by up to 15 fit, perhaps as the next project after the practice gym and new seating are completed.  Thinking like 10-15 years from now, unless by some miracle they move back into the hyslop.

New Hyslop +  Phil Jackson Court *

1 hour ago, nodak651 said:

Thinking like 10-15 years from now, unless by some miracle they move back into the hyslop.

If it would be plausible, this would be really cool. But everything I've seen shows that the cost is prohibitive and I would guess the Hyslop will be long gone by then. 

47 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

If it would be plausible, this would be really cool. But everything I've seen shows that the cost is prohibitive and I would guess the Hyslop will be long gone by then. 

It'll be gone and they will regret it.  Demolish the buildings north and south of the hyslop and you essentially have a shell.  Besides, wouldn't the chester fritz have had the same issue when it was just redone? 

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, sioux24/7 said:

Think there’s plans to add a practice facility too for the Betty, right?

Getting a legit practice facility is what needs to happen as soon as possible. That is a huge thing when it comes to recruiting. Players want a place to go workout that is for basketball players only at all times of the day/night. NDSU has a nice practice facility that opened back in 2015. 8 years later and UND still can't get a practice facility for men's and women's basketball???

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, HoopsFan03 said:

Getting a legit practice facility is what needs to happen as soon as possible. That is a huge thing when it comes to recruiting. Players want a place to go workout that is for basketball players only at all times of the day/night. NDSU has a nice practice facility that opened back in 2015. 8 years later and UND still can't get a practice facility for men's and women's basketball???

My memory might be getting foggy...but if I recall we do have a practice facility for basketball...The Betty!  I was in college when it first opened and it was designed to be more of an auxilary type of facility for basketball (primary for volleyball), as most games were played in the REA at the time.  Somewhere along the line that changed...and while the atmosphere is much better, it's not designed to be a primary D1 basketball facility.  The department needs to come up with a plan to address this if they want to compete in the D1 hoops arena.

• Upvote 2

48 minutes ago, UND08 said:

My memory might be getting foggy...but if I recall we do have a practice facility for basketball...The Betty!  I was in college when it first opened and it was designed to be more of an auxilary type of facility for basketball (primary for volleyball), as most games were played in the REA at the time.  Somewhere along the line that changed...and while the atmosphere is much better, it's not designed to be a primary D1 basketball facility.  The department needs to come up with a plan to address this if they want to compete in the D1 hoops arena.

I don't know the time line of when it may or may not be complete, but they are actively working on it with the REA.
https://fightinghawks.com/news/2022/9/30/general-north-dakota-athletics-releases-master-facilities-plan.aspx

5 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

I don't know the time line of when it may or may not be complete, but they are actively working on it with the REA.
https://fightinghawks.com/news/2022/9/30/general-north-dakota-athletics-releases-master-facilities-plan.aspx

Page 5, Item 4. 

I believe the plan is to somewhat "bowl-out" The Betty with more permanent seating. The addition would be as large as The Betty and always stay in four-court practice configuration. 

20 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

Page 5, Item 4. 

I believe the plan is to somewhat "bowl-out" The Betty with more permanent seating. The addition would be as large as The Betty and always stay in four-court practice configuration. 

This is good!  If they could find a way to squeeze even 4,500 well-configured seats into the Betty that would be awesome!  And the new practice facility will address a critical need for the basketball programs!

1 hour ago, The Sicatoka said:

Page 5, Item 4. 

I really hope that's the case.  Have you actually talked someone at UND or the REA that stated that specifically?

Would be awesome if they could incorporate a legit B-dubs style UND sports bar somehow, potentially along with an additional entrance.  Would make for the perfect pregame bar for all of the games at the REA, including hockey.  Could also incorporate gambling, with UND athletics as the non profit beneficiary, without anyone getting upset.  With something like 60+ home games at the REA complex, you would think it could stay pretty busy.  If they install permanent seating, maybe it could be incorporated with the sports bar somehow, or at least accessible from the Betty.  Place would be hopping before hockey games... one can dream.

1 hour ago, jdub27 said:

What do you mean by actively working on it?  Serious question.  Could mean many different things to different people.

18 minutes ago, nodak651 said:

Have you actually talked someone at UND or the REA that stated that specifically?

I read it somewhere but can I find it now ... 

Here's something else: https://campus.und.edu/facilities-management/_files/docs/2022-master-plan-supplemental-planning/athletics-masterplan-2018.pdf 

I was thinking today that it sure has felt like a long time since we have won 2 conference games in a row. And sure enough I just looked it up and it has been 710 DAYS since we last won two conference games in a row. All the way back to February 13th & 14th 2021 when we beat USD back to back at home is the last time. Pretty crazy!!