SiouxSports.com Forum

New Coach

UND-SPORTS-FAN

I don’t think X’s and O’s have been too big of a problem for Sather. It’s been recruiting the talent and actually getting people to stay here that has been the problem. If I see someone like Omot, Brooks, Levias, or Eaglestaff enter the portal after this year then I think it would be time to consider a change.

They are a much better team this year and will finish way above their preseason expectations. Now it’s time to see if they improve as the year continues to go on.

Edited by F'n Hawks
Forgot about Omot

22 minutes ago, F'n Hawks said:

I don’t think X’s and O’s have been too big of a problem for Sather. It’s been recruiting the talent and actually getting people to stay here that has been the problem. If I see someone like Trent, Brooks, Levias, or Eaglestaff enter the portal after this year then I think it would be time to consider a change.

They are a much better team this year and will finish way above their preseason expectations. Now it’s time to see if they improve as the year continues to go on.

I would not be surprised if any of those players you mentioned leave after this year. Omot, Brooks, and Eaglestaff are the three most important though. NEED to be able to keep them for 2 more years at least. 

Not going to lie, not a big fan of Sather and how it appears he wants his team’s structured. Seems like a nice guy but a lot of coaching philosophies I don’t like. Still think last year should be a fireable offense for making us watch that product on the floor. Still don’t understand how we had the least athletic roster in d1 basketball, yet had zero shooting. Made no sense. 
This year we will be a 6-8 seed in the Summit. It’s all going to come down to who goes into the portal. Need to keep all the young guys and then get a drop-down player or two. From the little I’ve seen from the 3 high school kids we’ve signed so far, I am kinda worried about that class

2 hours ago, UND-SPORTS-FAN said:

Sather just coached this team to a hard L. This team has potential and with a right coach would elevate this program back.

We just came a FT away from beating a top mid-major squad, so I don't think it's time to throw the coach under the bus.  He's brought this team a long way since game no. 1, and I look forward to seeing by how much UND exceeds the preseason prognosticators.  Have to clean up the turnovers and FT shooting;  55.6% from the charity stripe needs to be in the 70% range in order to win the close ones.  

• Like 1

Last year was tough to watch, but in fairness to Paul, you lose Rebraca, who was a shoe in to be a first team all conference selection, the freshman of the year from the year before in Ihenacho, and Seuker and Nero were hurt most of the year, not to mention Sims leaving.  Rebraca had a reason to go and clearly had a great opportunity at Iowa.  I still haven’t figured out what benefit Ihenacho got out of the portal.  He would have been a stud for us if he would have stayed.  You put that group with Bruns and last year was a different story.  There were glimpses in the first half of what we could have this year if they continue to play D and move the ball.  The vast majority of minutes tonight were by underclassman that have to learn how to play at the college level.  Taking kids who have been high school stars where scoring was all about them and having them fit into a system where vision and not just individual play matters takes some time.  The first half tonight showed a step in that direction.  I am hoping that Paul will get them to make that step consistently.  If he does, they may surprise some people this year.

• Upvote 2

15 hours ago, GoodGood said:

Not going to lie, not a big fan of Sather and how it appears he wants his team’s structured. Seems like a nice guy but a lot of coaching philosophies I don’t like. Still think last year should be a fireable offense for making us watch that product on the floor. Still don’t understand how we had the least athletic roster in d1 basketball, yet had zero shooting. Made no sense. 
This year we will be a 6-8 seed in the Summit. It’s all going to come down to who goes into the portal. Need to keep all the young guys and then get a drop-down player or two. From the little I’ve seen from the 3 high school kids we’ve signed so far, I am kinda worried about that class

Bothun is one of the better shooters in the state of MN.  UND hasn't had a decent stretch 4 in quite a while.  He is exactly what this squad needs.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Hans8891 said:

Last year was tough to watch, but in fairness to Paul, you lose Rebraca, who was a shoe in to be a first team all conference selection, the freshman of the year from the year before in Ihenacho, and Seuker and Nero were hurt most of the year, not to mention Sims leaving.  Rebraca had a reason to go and clearly had a great opportunity at Iowa.  I still haven’t figured out what benefit Ihenacho got out of the portal.  He would have been a stud for us if he would have stayed.  You put that group with Bruns and last year was a different story.  There were glimpses in the first half of what we could have this year if they continue to play D and move the ball.  The vast majority of minutes tonight were by underclassman that have to learn how to play at the college level.  Taking kids who have been high school stars where scoring was all about them and having them fit into a system where vision and not just individual play matters takes some time.  The first half tonight showed a step in that direction.  I am hoping that Paul will get them to make that step consistently.  If he does, they may surprise some people this year.

Throw in Levias, who could have had a nice impact last year, Mathews and his bad back,  and Howard deciding to leave (Why he left is beyond me given it was the same day Sueker suffered his injury and would have gotten ample playing time), no wonder last year was a mess. 

Sather couldn't do nothing about Rebraca leaving, that was out of his control. He was the only one that left UND and had success to the team he transferred to, any other player that left for a d1 team has not had the same success.*

*For the people who mention Moody and DAE, they are both on their 3rd team.  

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

15 hours ago, fightingsioux4life said:

Whatever he has left, I am sure Chaves is working on an extension as we speak. :silly:

Chaves is going to have to make a decision on both Sather and Bernhard his year.  Both coaches will have 1 year left on their contracts after this season and I hate the idea of a lame duck.  UND MBB got burned on that royally already in their history. 

Moody is second on the griz in PPG.  started all the games he has played (7).

Bruns has started 3 of 10 games.  averaging 10.9 PPG.  I thought his brother was also supposed to be on the team.  Is that for next year?

Ihenacho has played 3 games for James Madison.  Heard he was hurt or something.  in those 3 games he is averaging almost exactly half the minutes he played at UND.

27 minutes ago, LDL said:

Moody is second on the griz in PPG.  started all the games he has played (7).

Bruns has started 3 of 10 games.  averaging 10.9 PPG.  I thought his brother was also supposed to be on the team.  Is that for next year?

Ihenacho has played 3 games for James Madison.  Heard he was hurt or something.  in those 3 games he is averaging almost exactly half the minutes he played at UND.

That's next year, but for all the hype that USD had coming in (which was rediculous btw) they haven't lived up to it and now they have some drama due to an unfortunate accident with their head coach and a disgusting crime by one of their currentl players. 

Ihenacho never should have left.  Whoever told him to leave, gave him some seriously bad advice.

2 hours ago, SWSiouxMN said:

This isn't directed at you, but as a fan base, we need to stop this idea that if someone has even a small amount of success, they are going to leave.  It was bad enough last year on the women's side of things with Borowicz.  

The fan base needs to stop this. No other fan base worries about this.  

I agree. But do we have anything else to go off of? It may not be all on Sather but since he took over at UND we have had nothing but players transferring out. We can only look at past data and the past data has shown that we will lose top players every single year. 

23 hours ago, UND-SPORTS-FAN said:

Sather just coached this team to a hard L. This team has potential and with a right coach would elevate this program back.

You’re a clown.

21 hours ago, GoodGood said:

You’re a clown.

4 hours ago, HoopsFan03 said:

I agree. But do we have anything else to go off of? It may not be all on Sather but since he took over at UND we have had nothing but players transferring out. We can only look at past data and the past data has shown that we will lose top players every single year. 

You’re a clown also. Do you think it has anything to do with 1500 kids going into the portal every year right now? There’s your past data- college athletics isn’t the same as it was in 1980.

The utter stupidity on some of you people is laughable. 

• Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, SD UND said:

You’re a clown.

A clown because I have an opinion? I do not like some of the schemes sather runs. Example is high hedging screens. I cannot stand that. Doesn’t mean I hope we lose or sather is bad. I just think there’s better ball screen coverages these days. There’s other things I wish we would or wouldn’t do. 
I’ve been consistent in Sathers best year was his first year (all of Jones guys). I still think they should’ve had to pay fans to show up last year. Least athletic d1 team and zero shooting. Was hard to watch every night (I watched nearly every game start to finish last year) 

If we see another mass exit of talented young guys this offseason I think it’s time for a change. A coaches job these days is to recruit not only players to the team but also recruit the players currently on the team. 
We have a nice group of freshman to build on. Make some noise in the summit this year and build on it

10 minutes ago, Kab said:

Have to laugh at some fans

some say sather can’t recruit and in the next breath they are worried about his recruits leaving

This years class has been by far his best. Finally recruited some length and athleticism. That needs to continue going forward