SiouxSports.com Forum

New Coach

UND-SPORTS-FAN

3 hours ago, Irish said:

Looking at Hockey, Football, Men's and Women's basketball and volleyball can you think of a worse overall time for Sioux sports?  Only Women's basketball is on the upswing and they spent years floundering and are not yet close to a conference championship.  The overall state of our athletics is not good.

2018/19.

• Football: 6-5 (lost @ NAU to finish the year that cost them a playoff spot)
  • Hockey: 18-17-2 (Missed NCAA Tournament, Lost first round on in the NCHC playoffs @ Denver)
  • Men's Basketball: 12-18 (6-10 in Conference, Lost R1 of Summit League Tourney)
  • Women's Basketball: 12-19 (6-10 in Conference, Lost R2 of Summit League Tourney)
  • Volleyball: 14-18

I would say that's on par with the current state. Chaves was leading the ship during that disaster of a year as well. I cannot agree more, the overall state of the athletics program is not good at all. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

50 minutes ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

yeah i did too....but is this normal? has sather missed one before? too scared to take questions?

Not sure what time the press conference was at but Sather was in Fargo today speaking at the UND Luncheon and taking questions.

It was a good press conference, and he is right that they are playing very young team out there we have no elite junior or senior player to build around on this team. I would criticize him on couple of points but being assistant coach, he does not have final say on construction of this team. I look at this roster wonder why they didn't look for one transfer that would give them team leadership from point guard position. The goal seems to be to build this team with high school recruits and that continues again with next year's recruits. This is not the answer a lot of people who are on this board are looking for because to do this means were at least looking at another year before we can look to move to upper half of the conference. I have to believe Chaves has had to sign off on this as well or Sather is putting himself at great risk with his job.  Even on women's side they are basically been doing the same thing only difference is they do have elite player in Borowicz and now number of senior players this year but there again they didn't replace starter that transferred but went with high school players to replace with for this year. I believe this is philosophy of athletic department and it comes from the AD and University President must have signed off on this as well or fully approves of this practice. We do need a win because these players are needing to get some confidence back. I wouldn't be surprised we see two-year extension of Sather's contract especially if we start to get a few wins before the season is over.

4 hours ago, ND-fan said:

It was a good press conference, and he is right that they are playing very young team out there we have no elite junior or senior player to build around on this team. I would criticize him on couple of points but being assistant coach, he does not have final say on construction of this team. I look at this roster wonder why they didn't look for one transfer that would give them team leadership from point guard position. The goal seems to be to build this team with high school recruits and that continues again with next year's recruits. This is not the answer a lot of people who are on this board are looking for because to do this means were at least looking at another year before we can look to move to upper half of the conference. I have to believe Chaves has had to sign off on this as well or Sather is putting himself at great risk with his job.  Even on women's side they are basically been doing the same thing only difference is they do have elite player in Borowicz and now number of senior players this year but there again they didn't replace starter that transferred but went with high school players to replace with for this year. I believe this is philosophy of athletic department and it comes from the AD and University President must have signed off on this as well or fully approves of this practice. We do need a win because these players are needing to get some confidence back. I wouldn't be surprised we see two-year extension of Sather's contract especially if we start to get a few wins before the season is over.

Herbst was hired in April. Roster was set before him getting here. He had no say in the roster. I want to see what he could at least do with two recruiting classes he always finds diamonds in the rough 

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, ND-fan said:

On the point guard piece, we did go after Kai Huntsberry and Themus Fulks and I think we thought we had a good chance at at least one of them but they ended up at North Texas and Louisiana, respectively. 

9 hours ago, Kab said:

Herbst does a good job speaking

i can see why players would like him

he has a passion for Und basketball 

wins will come 

Let him take over for the rest of the season and see what he can do then. Sather ain’t getting it done so it can’t get any worse

• Upvote 1

41 minutes ago, GoodGood said:

Kenpom ranking by year 

2020: 231 (Jones players)

2021: 272

2022: 348

2023: currently 325

Yes, let’s give this guy an extension… smh 

It is the right thing to do. Actually, the only thing to do. He's a good guy. He deserves it. 

• Upvote 2

58 minutes ago, GoodGood said:

Kenpom ranking by year 

2020: 231 (Jones players)

2019: 271 (Jones players and coaching)

Not sure what they point of continuing to point out what was on the team (or frankly not on the team) when Sather showed up?

Things have clearly went downhill from there. A combination of a bare cupboard, inability to reload, coaching decisions, transfer portal, VISA issues, Covid, etc, etc, etc. It obviously hasn't worked out anywhere near the way anyone would hope.

1 hour ago, jdub27 said:

inability to reload, coaching decisions, transfer portal. It obviously hasn't worked out anywhere near the way anyone would hope.

Hence why he shouldn't be given an extension nor why anyone (other than close relatives to Sather) should think that he deserves an extension. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

Who's arguing for an extension? 

Here is just a few from this thread. There have been plenty of other comments in other game day threads throughout this season. There are also a few users in this forum that will live and die by Sather so you know they are praying for an extension for him. 

my gut tells me they give him a 1 or 2 year extension. I say this because what I've heard consistently all year.”

Part of my reason for being hesitant on saying Sather needs to go is because of how many real good basketball minds respect him and think he was a hell of a hire for us. I know everyone has dealt with the portal and Covid and all that but it also feels like no one has had worse luck than Sather too. I guess I think some are afraid we are going to be letting go of an actual good coach too soon while others are convinced he’s the worst coach to step in the Betty.”

Getting back to Sather job i have to believe AD is hoping he can turn this team around by end of year and he can extend his contract for couple years to see how this class of recruits' fairs.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, HoopsFan03 said:

Here is just a few from this thread. There have been plenty of other comments in other game day threads throughout this season. There are also a few users in this forum that will live and die by Sather so you know they are praying for an extension for him. 

my gut tells me they give him a 1 or 2 year extension. I say this because what I've heard consistently all year.”

Part of my reason for being hesitant on saying Sather needs to go is because of how many real good basketball minds respect him and think he was a hell of a hire for us. I know everyone has dealt with the portal and Covid and all that but it also feels like no one has had worse luck than Sather too. I guess I think some are afraid we are going to be letting go of an actual good coach too soon while others are convinced he’s the worst coach to step in the Betty.”

Getting back to Sather job i have to believe AD is hoping he can turn this team around by end of year and he can extend his contract for couple years to see how this class of recruits' fairs.

I don't think anyone is openly campaigning for him to get an extension right now... If anything people have voiced what they think Chaves is going to do. He extended Mallory after winning 1 or 2 games as the interim. He has shown a willingness to give coaches a long rope... maybe he does with Sather, maybe he doesn't.

No one is sitting here that thinks a 20-30% winning percentage is good enough, we all understand that.

You and a few others are campaigning for him to be fired right this instant, which is just not going to happen. 

Yes, results haven't materialized the way fans, coaches, players, administration, and alums want them to. 

Everyone is tired of hearing it, but it's the honest truth. This is a young team. They are trying to learn how to win conference games with vey inexperienced players. The experienced players have been bad this season, outside of Norman. AND they are arguably getting the absolute most out of Danielson that he can produce.

Seasons can turn around on a dime with a couple good wins... what if they get a good win tonight? What if they knock off ORU on Saturday in the Betty? That COULD happen! Are the odds great to sweep this weekend? No, but it's college sports and a momentum swing, and confidence swing could be huge! 

Coach Sather is a good coach, no one can tell me different. He  has proven that throughout his career, even if it wasn't at the almighty D1 level. He, undoubtedly has had a rough couple years at UND. I imagine he is taking that as hard as anyone, and he will take full responsibility. If anyone is exhausting any and all options to try and turn it would be him. 

I'm pulling for him and UND. If he gets fired at the end of the year because this trend continues, I see why that decision would be made. But your hopes and dreams of him being fired next Monday, are just not going to happen.

I'm also sorry for having a bit of positivity today. Felt good.

• Upvote 4

8 minutes ago, SD UND said:

I don't think anyone is openly campaigning for him to get an extension right now... If anything people have voiced what they think Chaves is going to do. He extended Mallory after winning 1 or 2 games as the interim. He has shown a willingness to give coaches a long rope... maybe he does with Sather, maybe he doesn't.

No one is sitting here that thinks a 20-30% winning percentage is good enough, we all understand that.

You and a few others are campaigning for him to be fired right this instant, which is just not going to happen. 

Yes, results haven't materialized the way fans, coaches, players, administration, and alums want them to. 

Everyone is tired of hearing it, but it's the honest truth. This is a young team. They are trying to learn how to win conference games with vey inexperienced players. The experienced players have been bad this season, outside of Norman. AND they are arguably getting the absolute most out of Danielson that he can produce.

Seasons can turn around on a dime with a couple good wins... what if they get a good win tonight? What if they knock off ORU on Saturday in the Betty? That COULD happen! Are the odds great to sweep this weekend? No, but it's college sports and a momentum swing, and confidence swing could be huge! 

Coach Sather is a good coach, no one can tell me different. He  has proven that throughout his career, even if it wasn't at the almighty D1 level. He, undoubtedly has had a rough couple years at UND. I imagine he is taking that as hard as anyone, and he will take full responsibility. If anyone is exhausting any and all options to try and turn it would be him. 

I'm pulling for him and UND. If he gets fired at the end of the year because this trend continues, I see why that decision would be made. But your hopes and dreams of him being fired next Monday, are just not going to happen.

I'm also sorry for having a bit of positivity today. Felt good.

I fully respect your response and thoughts!! Cheering for a win tonight and Saturday!