SiouxSports.com Forum

2023 Football Season

Midwestern Hawk

1 hour ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

A championship-caliber winning football program that supporters and fans can be proud of. NDSU has completely sucked the region dry of such other than the occasional diehards, like those on this site. 

Thanks and we all want that. Actually. I had more of a vision of something in your personal life…..

3 minutes ago, Mama Sue said:

Thanks and we all want that. Actually. I had more of a vision of something in your personal life…..

Some people base the value of their lives and well-being on the success of sports teams or lack thereof.  Kind of sad, actually. 

• Upvote 3

37 minutes ago, Mama Sue said:

Not sure we need to bring personal life into this. Someone not being happy with the way their favorite sports team/program is at or heading does not mean there is something missing in their personal life. Such odd questions and accusations to make from grown adults...

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, nodak651 said:

So with those supposed measurables, my question is how bad was he at basketball to have to give it up? And if he was that bad at basketball how are we going to assume he’d succeed at football?

Just for reference, if he was 6’8” and did have a 44” very his head would be 4” above the rim. Watched some of his highlights, didn’t see any LeBron James level athleticism as the tweet suggested. 

1 hour ago, The Sicatoka said:

"Tommy can't throw the deep ball!" 

Should he?

Look at the distribution and completion percentages of NFL QBs.
The majority of the passes are under 10 yards. The pros aren't throwing deep, and when they do ... 
After 10 yards the completion percent of PROS drops to under 50% and after 20 yards is 20%. 

I'm willing to bet a "heat map" of Tommy Schuster's UND career looks much like that NFL map. And that is smart, smart coaching, smart playing, smart performance on field. 

grant_passing_hexagons_115211.jpg

Source: https://grantland.com/the-triangle/pass-atlas-a-map-of-where-nfl-quarterbacks-throw-the-ball/ 

What else am I willing to bet? Danny Freund knows and understands this map better than any of us. 

This is a good read from PFF.  It outlines the need for explosive plays to be successful.

PFF Data Study: Explosive plays and re-thinking offensive success | NFL News, Rankings and Statistics | PFF

6 minutes ago, FSSD said:

This is a good read from PFF.  It outlines the need for explosive plays to be successful.

PFF Data Study: Explosive plays and re-thinking offensive success | NFL News, Rankings and Statistics | PFF

However, at least for the passing game, using an extreme gradient boosting model (XGBoost) that combines game situation and PFF grades,...

XGBoost? 

You just lost @Oxbow6and @MafiaMan;)  :D 

3 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

XGBoost? 

You just lost @Oxbow6and @MafiaMan;)  :D 

Well, I am sure Oxbow6 thinks it's a new golf ball to get an extra 7.8 yards on his drives.  And MafiaMan will think it's a new jersey manufacturer.  Of course me teasing MafiaMan will lead to grammar policing for the next 6 months on all my posts.  But, yes your point is taken PFF can get nerdy at times.  And peace to Ox and MM - remember Sicatoka started it.  :hypocrite:

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, AJS said:

How good do we think Anderson can be at Right Tackle at 305? This might be a potentially big thing for this offense. Are we going to be able to say that UND's tackles are really good?

He is up to 305 so something is happening to get up to that weight. Dining hall or weight room? According to some posters it could never be the strength and conditioning program…

2 minutes ago, AJS said:

How good do we think Anderson can be at Right Tackle at 305? This might be a potentially big thing for this offense. Are we going to be able to say that UND's tackles are really good?

I am really excited about the offense this year because I think the O-line is going to be good.

1 hour ago, Sioux>Bison said:

He is up to 305 so something is happening to get up to that weight. Dining hall or weight room? According to some posters it could never be the strength and conditioning program…

Couldn’t get his weight up at NDSU under the direction for venerable strength and conditioning god Kramer but gets his weight up under the guidance of whipping boy Baukol? 

2 hours ago, geaux_sioux said:

So with those supposed measurables, my question is how bad was he at basketball to have to give it up? And if he was that bad at basketball how are we going to assume he’d succeed at football?

Just for reference, if he was 6’8” and did have a 44” very his head would be 4” above the rim. Watched some of his highlights, didn’t see any LeBron James level athleticism as the tweet suggested. 

One man's opinion:  If he had fully focused on FB from the jump in college, he would have been a far better FB player than Basketball player.

Should have played for Fleck instead of Pitino. 

3 hours ago, geaux_sioux said:

He was "bad" enough to average over 10 minutes a game for a season in the Big Ten, playing in over 30 games.  I guess I wouldn't call that being "bad" at basketball.  Do bad athletes become 4 star basketball recruits and get legitimate playing time in the Big Ten?  It's all relative, but even if he only did that for one season, I'd still consider it a success.  It's all relative.

Terrell Owens had a comparable basketball career.  Turns out he was better at football. Happens often actually, and the most common position seems to be TE.  10 highest-graded current NFL players who played college hoops

1 hour ago, nodak651 said:

He was "bad" enough to average over 10 minutes a game for a season in the Big Ten, playing in over 30 games.  I guess I wouldn't call that being "bad" at basketball.  Do bad athletes become 4 star basketball recruits and get legitimate playing time in the Big Ten?  It's all relative, but even if he only did that for one season, I'd still consider it a success.  It's all relative.

Terrell Owens had a comparable basketball career.  Turns out he was better at football. Happens often actually, and the most common position seems to be TE.  10 highest-graded current NFL players who played college hoops

If those measurables are remotely accurate I would say that he was in fact bad at basketball. To be the same size and as explosive as a young LeBron and not even start for a middling B1G team tells me all I would need. I hope he succeeds, I’m just saying I’m skeptical, especially about the “44” “ vert. He’s also listed at 6’6” by most sources fwiw. 

• Downvote 1

Back on track - until we can break through the su's,  UND is going to be among around 3-4 teams that rotate having 7-4 or 8-3 seasons and making the playoffs. Once again, this year making the playoffs is very achievable. Now that we know getting a first-round home game is decided more by politics, that is going to be on ongoing issue. 

8 hours ago, Mama Sue said:

Correct. Last night I roofied myself, woke up in a hotel room alongside a fully grown bengal tiger, found out I was newly married and missing a tooth, and had put a small Asian man in my trunk …

… actually, wait, that may just be the plot of a film I recently watched.