SiouxSports.com Forum

Wilbur

3 minutes ago, SlowHand said:

Side judge ruled #49 recovered and had possession at that point he was immediately down by contact before UIW player ripped the ball free while both were laying on the ground.

I just watched it about 10 more times.  49 was laying on the ball and ruled down by contact.

I haven't watched it again, but is just laying on a ball possession? Thought you had to be in control of the ball....not just laying on it. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, SlowHand said:

Side judge ruled #49 recovered and had possession at that point he was immediately down by contact before UIW player ripped the ball free while both were laying on the ground.

I just watched it about 10 more times.  49 was laying on the ball and ruled down by contact.

He may have been laying on the ball (not sure that is true).  But, both of 49 hands are visible when the ICW player is starting to pull the ball.  It did not look like 49 ever had control of the ball and in order to be down by contact you have to have control of the ball.  Based on the video presented in the game.  It looked like a fumble and ICW recovered the ball.  Maybe another angle will show something different, but video of the play and the replay do not show NDSU recovering the ball IMO.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Sioux94 said:

I haven't watched it again, but is just laying on a ball possession? Thought you had to be in control of the ball....not just laying on it. 

Agree - laying on the ball is not control.  Without control - No down by contact.

8 minutes ago, SlowHand said:

49 had no idea where the ball was and never had possession of the fumble. Not much use in using replay when they can’t get a critical game changing play correct. The Bison sure thought they got away with one as they were hurrying to get a play off before it could be stopped for review. Why would you do that if you knew you recovered the ball? Wouldn’t you want to run more time off the clock?

After further review, the ruling has been confirmed…the officials are incompetent. 

8 minutes ago, SlowHand said:

This is exactly when the whistle blew.  Show me which UIW player has the ball.

FkJnyKSUoAAWVcq?format=jpg&name=large

Well 49 sure doesn't have the ball, he is just laying on it. Nobody has control at this point....it should still be a live ball. You can't see the one arm of the UIW player, he may have a hand on the ball and be more in control of the ball than 49. 

It looked like the wrong call to me, but football games are full of questionable calls that change the final score, so I try not to play the what if game. All we have is reality, referees and outcomes are imperfect.

NDSU did enough to play for a championship in two weeks. Wasn’t pretty, but at this time of the year a win is a win.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Bison06 said:

It looked like the wrong call to me, but football games are full of questionable calls that change the final score, so I try not to play the what if game. All we have is reality, referees and outcomes are imperfect.

NDSU did enough to play for a championship in two weeks. Wasn’t pretty, but at this time of the year a win is a win.

Incarnate Word had more than enough chances to win this game, so I won’t get too mad about this call, although a very bad one.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Bison06 said:

It looked like the wrong call to everyone except slowhand :).. 

in reality ICW still stopped the bison after that crap call with plenty of time to win/tie and if the QB hadn’t made a really poor decision on that throw they still had plenty of time and were easily moving the ball.

the bison always seem to do enough even on a day where they could have easily lost 

ICW was just overcompensating tonight and if not for a few bad decisions/mistakes could have won the game going away. 

blaming the refs is stupid.. they made plenty of crap calls on both sides.. they were consistently terrible for both teams

• Upvote 4

16 hours ago, AJS said:

They should, but I think the NCAA sets the prices, or am I wrong there? Also, you would think there would be limited students as well. 

NCAA doesnt set the price. But they do have a caveat when hosting that you CANT discount the ticket prices by a certain amount. Of which I cant remember.

56 minutes ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

Show me which NDSU player had the ball??

The call on the field was NDSU recovered (side judge).  Replay MUST show clear proof to overturn the call.  

The replay officials CONFIRMED the ruling on the field.  Maybe they have angles we dont.

Going to say this about the fumble being discussed...

We don't know what the replay refs saw because the ESPN crew screwed up and focused on the wrong thing. When the play went to review, the ref clearly said the call on the field was a fumble recovered by NDSU. The ESPN crew, on the other hand, totally missed that fact and thought the refs had ruled the runner down by contact and were reviewing whether it was a fumble or not.

Because of this misunderstanding, the ESPN production crew focused all their time looking for camera angles that showed the fumble. They found two, but neither of those angles showed the initial recovery. Meanwhile, the replay refs were focused on camera angles that showed the play from the other side of the field where the recovery could be seen.

There were two NDSU players that were in good position to recover the ball(4 and 49), and one UIW player in poor position(20). Since all three were lying on the ground, the moment possession was achieved by any of the three, the play was dead. The fact that the refs came back pretty quickly with a 'call confirmed' rather than a 'call stands', suggests very greatly that there was a camera angle we didn't get to see(through ESPN incompetence) that clearly showed who recovered the ball first and that it was one of the two NDSU players (from the position of the bodies, I'm betting Kobe Johnson(4) recovered his own fumble before it got stripped away by UIW).

I'm not going to say the refs were great, but they called the game the same for both sides. There were plays made by both teams that could have easily been DPI. The only DPI that were actually called were extremely egregious. The same goes for holding. There were several no-calls on both teams that other crews would have flagged. The targeting no-call against UIW could have easily gone either way(this is from DI/II/III refs). The one I didn't like was the call against UIW on the late hit versus the no-call on NDSU for the same thing. While I'll agree the timing was tighter on the NDSU tackle(the NDSU runner was completely down and the play over before the UIW player launched himself onto the pile, while the second NDSU tackler initiated his tackle while the UIW QB was on his way to the ground but not yet completely down), I still would rather have seen them called the same, even though it would have hurt NDSU a ton(the NDSU no-call was on 3rd and 15 and would have resulted in a UIW 1st down).

21 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

Right?!? Ok…. Nice….. ah… point @SlowHand lol

I think what he's saying is that a ref saw the ball had been recovered and blew a whistle to signify the play was dead at a time when the UIW player clearly did not have possession of the ball. Of course the caveat to that is if the ref actually blowing the whistle even saw the fumble. It's very possible the ref blowing the whistle didn't see the fumble and thought the play was over because the runner was down. It may have been a completely different official that ruled the play a fumble recovered by NDSU. 

Of course we may never know because of ESPN fixating on the wrong camera angles.

1 hour ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

All in all, NDSU was the better team, sucks cause it was close, but NDSU still good enough to get to Frisco. Sickening. Disgusting. All words to express displeasure. 

I hate NDSU but you have to give them respect.  They just do their thing and keep winning.  Frustrating.  We will get to have another 5-7 win season next fall.

7 hours ago, wheelsup said:

It looked like the wrong call to everyone except slowhand :).. 

in reality ICW still stopped the bison after that crap call with plenty of time to win/tie and if the QB hadn’t made a really poor decision on that throw they still had plenty of time and were easily moving the ball.

the bison always seem to do enough even on a day where they could have easily lost 

ICW was just overcompensating tonight and if not for a few bad decisions/mistakes could have won the game going away. 

blaming the refs is stupid.. they made plenty of crap calls on both sides.. they were consistently terrible for both teams

This pretty much sums it up for me 

• Upvote 1

Will NDSU’s run end sometime? Maybe. Once you accept that they will most likely win it this year, next year, year after, a game like last night you just shrug off. Watching The Word blow it at one point would have been so frustrating, now not so much.

Hoping for Montana State today. 

Edit: 3 out of 4 NDSU playoff games they have >99% chance of winning. Most years there’s that one game that hypothetically could go either way. NDSU’s ability to always make “the play” is fascinating, but not as much as the opponents inability to make “the play” or “the drive”, every time. 

27 minutes ago, AJS said:

Will NDSU’s run end sometime? Maybe. Once you accept that they will most likely win it this year, next year, year after, a game like last night you just shrug off. Watching The Word blow it at one point would have been so frustrating, now not so much.

Hoping for Montana State today. 

Edit: 3 out of 4 NDSU playoff games they have >99% chance of winning. Most years there’s that one game that hypothetically could go either way. NDSU’s ability to always make “the play” is fascinating, but not as much as the opponents inability to make “the play” or “the drive”, every time. 

It is past the point of wow.  They came out flat last night, Cam Miller was way off on his throws, NDSU had no answer for the Word QB.  They persevered and adjusted.  Props to them.  What they have done will never be done again at any level.  As a Hawk, it sucks, as a fan of football its amazing.  They beat us this fall because we continually get caught up in the fact they are NDSU, they won last night because they knew they were going to win. 

Sun Tzu.

• Upvote 1

Ok. One last bit of evidence then we can put it to bed. NDSU did not recover the ball. And video evidence proved that. Enough to overturn. See in the pictures below. 

Clearly a fumble. 

You can see both hands if #49 for the Bison, never had the ball. 

UIW clearly has possession of the ball  

UIW got hosed. Bison capitalized. Nothing anyone can do about it now. 

6A299E43-E7E4-4EF2-BA95-89605698F0BE.jpeg

62284A97-55D4-4326-B589-E519D1C32F31.jpeg

B6B145DC-3BA5-40C1-91CB-D36A6559988E.jpeg

• Like 1