SiouxSports.com Forum

UND @ Nebraska 9/3/22

SiouxFan100

The play in question (30 yds) even Tom Dosch put it on the DB (not by name). Said the young DB got taken to “man school” on the play. 

Bubba and the D got Nebraska into that hole but couldn’t close the deal. 

That’s my “what if” play of the game. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, sioux24/7 said:

Well I had fun yesterday. Probably should have researched the seats a little better because man that sun really killed us. There was definitely some encouraging things that we saw but man like everyone’s saying if we stop them on that 3rd and long this whole thread could look a lot different. 

yeah  i guess that play was big (3rd and long)...but it wasn't a scoring play and it only got them to around midfield........but how about our WR wide the f open on their 15 or so and tommy two gloves sails it about 6 feet too high which unlike the husker play could've been a scoring play?

those are play i wanna talk about....

then the last series when we had 4 plays to get every 10 yards and ttg is just flinging garbage around the field......

and our 8 TE's on our roster are non-existent again............................

Just now, SIOUXFAN97 said:

yeah  i guess that play was big (3rd and long)...but it wasn't a scoring play and it only got them to around midfield........but how about our WR wide the f open on their 15 or so and tommy two gloves sails it about 6 feet too high which unlike the husker play could've been a scoring play?

those are play i wanna talk about....

then the last series when we had 4 plays to get every 10 yards and ttg is just flinging garbage around the field......

and our 8 TE's on our roster are non-existent again............................

I agree he could have hit him but to me watching in person it looked like if Bo kept his stride he maybe could have hauled it in but he gathered early to jump. Just what I saw. 

30 minutes ago, Sioux>Bison said:

That’s not a realistic response. He is no longer an option. We cant go back in the future and fix it. Who now today should UND replace Bubba with? Name someone realistic!

I want someone with a career record that is closer to 67-3 (DeBoer at SF) than 22-21 (Bubba at UMD). That’s for sure. I am thankful for the way that Bubba has turned this football team into a perennial playoff contender and led the program with integrity and class, but I think we should be seriously skeptical about his ability to lead this program to the next level. 

Unfortunately, guys like DeBoer don’t come around often, so it is tough to find another young guy that has experience building dynasties at a lower level, but I would want someone that has won big games as a head coach at a lower level in the Midwest. Names like Jeff Thorne, Gary Fasching, Vince Kehres, Todd Hoffner and Tony Annese come to mind. I don’t know what the interest would look like on either side, but those are the type of guys that I think could be the “next Kalen DeBoer”.

These types of hires don’t always work out (see Tom Arth), but you don’t know if you don’t try.

I don’t know that this is the appropriate place to discuss our next head coach, but you continue to ask us to speculate on that very point, so I will give you your wish. Maybe starting a new thread would be a better route if you wish to continue this discussion on future head coaching options. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

The play in question (30 yds) even Tom Dosch put it on the DB (not by name). Said the young DB got taken to “man school” on the play. 

Bubba and the D got Nebraska into that hole but couldn’t close the deal. 

That’s my “what if” play of the game. 

True what if play - game changing play

The qb threw a wobbly duck that the receiver went up to catch - made a great catch in fact - jumped up and got it

our db was there but screened out and couldn’t do much about it - he had to just wait  behind the receiver - I don’t know if we can fault him

1 hour ago, Kab said:

If ndsu beats Nebraska what does it do for them or the fans.

gives the a little bragging rights for a few days and the college and gives them a one up on UND, a little more brand and name recognition

its a feel good story that they beat an fbs team

it hasn’t helped their enrollment by winning those games, it hasn’t helped them get better games, it hasn’t helped get them to the fbs, I doubt it gets a graduate a higher salary,

sports is a means to an education and for a few an entry to the pros and to the common student an education gets them a way to make more money and a lot of student debt and by the way I don’t want to pay for your debt.  It’s not a forgiveness of a loan or a grant it’s grand theft from tax payers, just the plain facts.

ESPN College Gameday a few times and I would guess it has gotten them a few recruits as well.

7 minutes ago, SiouxFan100 said:

True what if play - game changing play

The qb threw a wobbly duck that the receiver went up to catch - made a great catch in fact - jumped up and got it

our db was there but screened out and couldn’t do much about it - he had to just wait  behind the receiver - I don’t know if we can fault him

Oh you can definitely fault him because he lost on that play. But even though that was a huge play in terms of momentum, it ultimately is just one play, and you have to move on.

1 hour ago, Kab said:

If ndsu beats Nebraska what does it do for them or the fans.

gives the a little bragging rights for a few days and the college and gives them a one up on UND, a little more brand and name recognition

its a feel good story that they beat an fbs team

it hasn’t helped their enrollment by winning those games, it hasn’t helped them get better games, it hasn’t helped get them to the fbs, I doubt it gets a graduate a higher salary,

sports is a means to an education and for a few an entry to the pros and to the common student an education gets them a way to make more money and a lot of student debt and by the way I don’t want to pay for your debt.  It’s not a forgiveness of a loan or a grant it’s grand theft from tax payers, just the plain facts.

This attempt at minimization is not factual at all. I hate NDSU athletics as much as the next UND fan, but you can’t argue their football success has done absolutely nothing for their athletic department and university.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, MoSiouxFan said:

On their TD run, it looked like an obvious hold by one of their olinemen, who then threw our guy to the ground.

They let a ton go both ways.  One play our d tackle bull rushed their center and the Husker lost his feet going backwards and just grabbed our guy and pulled our guy on top of him while saving his QB's life all the while.  

4 hours ago, geaux_sioux said:

Offensively our recruiting at wr is a joke. DBs have zero respect for what we trot out at the position. Our wr group should look like what we had in 2013 but we’re obsessed with tall slow white boys who can’t get open. If we had legit athletes out wide Belquist would absolutely murder teams underneath, the running game would open up, and we would be a contender. 

This ^

We have a bunch of nice receivers but they all feel like they fit the same mold. As everyone has repeatedly said, we need a burner. Maybe Dennis can be that guy but it will take some time. 

4 hours ago, Sioux>Bison said:

Who would you hire then? Bubba and Danny can’t get it done. Who can do better with these resources?

9 years ago (yeah, ancient history) Kalen DeBoer would have come here for what Bubba got.

Oh yeah, that’s right, he would be gone to U Washington or some other FBS school and UND would have had to find another coach by now.

Maybe UND needs to find someone who wants to move up through building a championship program, not someone who is coming back home as his last gig before retirement. After all, NDSU has gone through 3 coaches while Bubba has been here and have continued their success through all of them.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, sioux24/7 said:

This ^

We have a bunch of nice receivers but they all feel like they fit the same mold. As everyone has repeatedly said, we need a burner. Maybe Dennis can be that guy but it will take some time. 

How do we define “burner”. Is it their timed 40?  What speed will satisfy our wish for a “burner”.  It’s a legitimate issue but how do we define it?

1 hour ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

This attempt at minimization is not factual at all. I hate NDSU athletics as much as the next UND fan, but you can’t argue their football success has done absolutely nothing for their athletic department and university.

You are correct. Multiple studies over the years have shown how athletic success has a positive impact on donations, marketing and in most cases student enrollment. It would be interesting to see an updated study regarding student enrollment but I believe it still holds true. 

• Upvote 1

48 minutes ago, fueledbyramen said:

It increases their revenue, increases donations, team makers, marketing dollars etc....but, who needs money I guess right?
The massive butt hurt over NDSU being so good is astonishing here. Everyone acts like they don't care but they literally cry in the fetal position knowing they'll never be anywhere near NDSU for football. Literally, UND could win 2 titles and still be nowhere near them. 

Saying that having a winning football team that has the best dynasty in history of FCS does nothing for the school is so stupid that it has to come from a butt hurt UND fan. 

I'm sure Ohio St. would be fine if their football program sucked...it wouldn't affect dollars coming into the school at all. They just like having a big enrollment. 

I’m not butt hurt but apparently you are

i don’t give 2 shi ts about your dynasty

I know people give to ndsu because of football but I’m more impressed that a UND alum gave $20 million to the business school to educate students. 
that will make a difference in the students lives and hopefully keep tuition down.

• Upvote 4

Is this the infamous 3and 15 catch? If so, we were right there. 
I have a different view on this. Things aren’t  black and white. Winner or loser. Sometimes players make plays. A db isn’t expected to to be able to stay with someone for long. Maybe our db was told not not let anyone get behind him. Maybe the receiver was supposed to be bumped at the line. Maybe our pass rushers should have gotten to the qb. My recollection is we pressured their qb hence the lane duck pass.

Their receiver caught the pass. All I am saying is our db was right there. I don’t think we should be too critical of our d on this play Lame duck pass to about the only place he could put it that our db couldn’t get to.

it sucked but I am chalking this play up some bad luck and great play and catch. Looks like a tall receiver against our smaller db

fire away

7278A771-22A9-448C-B4E3-11E9FEDF9D1C.thumb.jpeg.d2af307cf24dc524d18b96e98ac72762.jpeg

23 minutes ago, Kab said:

I’m not butt hurt but apparently you are

i don’t give 2 shi ts about your dynasty

I know people give to ndsu because of football but I’m more impressed that a UND alum gave $20 million to the business school to educate students. 
that will make a difference in the students lives and hopefully keep tuition down.

But there is always a need for former su football palyers to gather signatures for petitions (or pretend to gather them). An oldie but a goodie.