SiouxSports.com Forum

UND @ Nebraska 9/3/22

SiouxFan100

Watched the game again tonight and just watching the end now.  Casey Shultz, Beach, and Lennon in on the DL andJack Baretz in at LB on the drive after we gave up that 3rd and 15, so didn't have some of the # 1's in for that drive....but guys that certainly play alot.  Surprised Baretz was in though as he wasn't even on the 2 deep.  Looks like he read the RB wrong on the run that ended up being a TD when they got down to the 20 yard line, if he would have went right instead of left, would have been a 5 yard gain......but instead it was a 20 yard TD pretty much untouched.  

Kupfer was in on the very first drive of the game, he played a lot. Don't think I saw Klein see the field, really surprised at that unless he wasn't 100%. 

Still hate our numbers on our jerseys, really hard to determine who is who......3,6,8,9 all look the same. Several times the announcers got it wrong....don't blame them. 

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, fueledbyramen said:

I came back because I got lots of positive private messages telling me everything I was talking about was true and not trolling...funny how your own fans agree with me? They won't admit it publicly of course. 

Funny how that little pussy LakesBison posted in a sig tagline that "Jail and ElChapo don't mix"

OMG how FUNNY would that have been??  That little-dick moron piping off to cops and whoever until he ACTUALLY GOT ARRESTED and got booked into jail and had to bail his sad little drunk ass out.  SUCH A BIG TALKER FOR SO MANY YEARS then we he actually got arrested and taken to jail now he's a little whiny bitch about it.   LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLL!!!!

ONCE a pussy - ALWAYS a PUSSY! F*CK YOU LAKES!!  

Sincerely,

All your local friends as SS.com:-)

loser

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Sioux94 said:

Watched the game again tonight and just watching the end now.  Casey Shultz, Beach, and Lennon in on the DL andJack Baretz in at LB on the drive after we gave up that 3rd and 15, so didn't have some of the # 1's in for that drive....but guys that certainly play alot.  Surprised Baretz was in though as he wasn't even on the 2 deep.  Looks like he read the RB wrong on the run that ended up being a TD when they got down to the 20 yard line, if he would have went right instead of left, would have been a 5 yard gain......but instead it was a 20 yard TD pretty much untouched.  

Kupfer was in on the very first drive of the game, he played a lot. Don't think I saw Klein see the field, really surprised at that unless he wasn't 100%. 

Still hate our numbers on our jerseys, really hard to determine who is who......3,6,8,9 all look the same. Several times the announcers got it wrong....don't blame them. 

I've often wondered why the wholesale changes. Why not leave 44 out there with other second stringers or Morrisson etc? Why not leave one of the starters out with the next group. You can rotate which starters, but I have not understood the wholesale group changes? Nebraska's stud LB seemed to play the whole damn game.

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Sioux94 said:

I rewatched the game online.  Anyone have any idea if Krzanowski was injured?  He did not play much that I could see in the second half.   Don't understand some of the substitutions.

2 hours ago, Midwestern Hawk said:

I rewatched the game online.  Anyone have any idea if Krzanowski was injured?  He did not play much that I could see in the second half.   Don't understand some of the substitutions.

I did notice he was out the drive I mentioned, after we gave up the 3rd and 15.  Also after we went for it on 4th down in our own territory at the end he wasn't in on that last series Nebraska scored on, but figured they probably pulled some guys as no point in risking injury.  

4 hours ago, shep said:

I've often wondered why the wholesale changes. Why not leave 44 out there with other second stringers or Morrisson etc? Why not leave one of the starters out with the next group. You can rotate which starters, but I have not understood the wholesale group changes? Nebraska's stud LB seemed to play the whole damn game.

I agree and wondering that too, seems like you would sprinkle some #1's in with #2's throughout the game instead of putting all # 2's in.....and a guy who wasn't even on the 2 deep at the same time.   It also made me think about NFL, seems like their stud Defensive players are in there almost the whole game, but I've never really specifically watched to see if a Ray Lewis type....plays 90% of the plays or not and/or if he would sit out an entire defensive series.  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Sioux94 said:

I agree and wondering that too, seems like you would sprinkle some #1's in with #2's throughout the game instead of putting all # 2's in.....and a guy who wasn't even on the 2 deep at the same time.   It also made me think about NFL, seems like their stud Defensive players are in there almost the whole game, but I've never really specifically watched to see if a Ray Lewis type....plays 90% of the plays or not and/or if he would sit out an entire defensive series.  

To be clear, Schmidt did this too. Is it something Bubba did as DC?

1 hour ago, jdub27 said:

Well, last year the MVFC (and national) champ could only beat what NDSU fans would describe as a below-average UND team by 6. :unsure:

I disagree on this. Happened right in front of me and it almost felt like slow motion. The DB broke on the ball as the throw was made but it was such a floater that it threw his timing off. He still got there (as the picture posted showed), but he had a hard time adjusting to how slow the ball was and was off just enough that he couldn't knock it down. Would have been a huge play and who knows how that might have changed the outcome. And overall still a pretty solid game by a secondary that was missing a few pieces against an OC who has no problem airing it out.

Couple other thoughts:

• Deep passing game wasn't there. Don't think they trusted 3 brand new OL to hold protection long enough to let it develop and they were probably right. That being said, I think the OL played a good game overall. Those will be there later in the year
  • A little surprised they left Smith in after his big gain, but maybe they rushed everyone down the field to not let Nebraska sub out? If not, then I don't quite agree with it, you could see him visible gassed from the stands. Small quibble though
  • There was a lot more wind than there appeared to be. Guessing that had an effect on some play calling and special teams
  • Grant is the real deal. He made something out of nothing on his big run on their go-ahead TD. Guy is going to have a big season assuming he stays on the field
  • Impressive resilience to give up 10 coming out of the half and tie it up 5 minutes later

Atmosphere and effort were top notch. Concourse was almost dead silent at half-time. Nebraska fans went above and beyond before, during and after the game. A W would have been the cherry on top, but if they can come out this week with that effort, it will be a good start to the rest of the season.

UND defensive back screwed up against Trey Palmer for NU. It happens. 1 on 1 battles occur between the lines every game; you win some, you lose some. UND lost that 1 on 1 and it cost them big time in terms of momentum. Gotta move on and improve. 

As for deep shots, UND called them, just either missed the throw (on Schuster) or didn’t have enough time leading to strip sack (on offensive line). Overall, UND’s QB and OL both made mistakes on Saturday. Room to improve. 17 points not enough to win consistently. I suppose can give them a pass since 3 freshmen were starting on the line, but after several seasons, where’s the depth?

18 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

UND defensive back screwed up against Trey Palmer for NU. It happens. 1 on 1 battles occur between the lines every game; you win some, you lose some. UND lost that 1 on 1 and it cost them big time in terms of momentum. Gotta move on and improve. 

As for deep shots, UND called them, just either missed the throw (on Schuster) or didn’t have enough time leading to strip sack (on offensive line). Overall, UND’s QB and OL both made mistakes on Saturday. Room to improve. 17 points not enough to win consistently. I suppose can give them a pass since 3 freshmen were starting on the line, but after several seasons, where’s the depth?

Eh, if that's the mistake they are going to make, I'll take it but I really don't think there was a ton he could have done differently. He broke at the right time, it was just a poorly thrown pass that threw off his timing. A lesser WR might have still even had it knocked away because he was there. The good news is we won't see a ton of Trey Palmer types the rest of the year (though there is still some talented Wr's in the MVFC). 

I'd argue the one where they drew the PI was a bigger mistake as it appeared he had the secondary beat deep, but the pass was underthrown.

But if there are only a couple of pass plays we can nitpick on with the lack of experience in the secondary and against a B1G offense being run by a Mark Whipple, that's not too bad. 

As for the OL, a couple injuries and the young guys beating out some older guys. One of those is better than the other.... 

22 minutes ago, SiouxFan100 said:

I don’t think our db screwed up on the 3 rd and 14

There were other factors and I think it was more of their receiver making a play and some bad luck

I wonder if some score every opponent pass completion as a defensive screw up?

Don’t get me wrong, Nebraska’s 5 star receiver made the play and deserves credit. As for what UND could’ve done, just comes down to making plays sometimes. Nothing more technical than that. Some athletes are better than others. One of the reasons that receivers and defensive backs with pure talent are so highly sought after. 

4 hours ago, jdub27 said:

Well, last year the MVFC (and national) champ could only beat what NDSU fans would describe as a below-average UND team by 6. :unsure:

I disagree on this. Happened right in front of me and it almost felt like slow motion. The DB broke on the ball as the throw was made but it was such a floater that it threw his timing off. He still got there (as the picture posted showed), but he had a hard time adjusting to how slow the ball was and was off just enough that he couldn't knock it down. Would have been a huge play and who knows how that might have changed the outcome. And overall still a pretty solid game by a secondary that was missing a few pieces against an OC who has no problem airing it out.

Couple other thoughts:

• Deep passing game wasn't there. Don't think they trusted 3 brand new OL to hold protection long enough to let it develop and they were probably right. That being said, I think the OL played a good game overall. Those will be there later in the year
  • A little surprised they left Smith in after his big gain, but maybe they rushed everyone down the field to not let Nebraska sub out? If not, then I don't quite agree with it, you could see him visible gassed from the stands. Small quibble though
  • There was a lot more wind than there appeared to be. Guessing that had an effect on some play calling and special teams
  • Grant is the real deal. He made something out of nothing on his big run on their go-ahead TD. Guy is going to have a big season assuming he stays on the field
  • Impressive resilience to give up 10 coming out of the half and tie it up 5 minutes later

Atmosphere and effort were top notch. Concourse was almost dead silent at half-time. Nebraska fans went above and beyond before, during and after the game. A W would have been the cherry on top, but if they can come out this week with that effort, it will be a good start to the rest of the season.

imo a huuuge quibble....total wasted play. 

1 hour ago, SiouxFan100 said:

https://www.on3.com/nil/news/nebraska-cornhusker-rb-anthony-grants-on3-nil-valuation/

pays for a Nebraska player to have a big game against UND-running back Grant

Wow.....crazy.  I'm ok with the players getting something, but man seems like there should be some type of limitations/regulation or something.....it's like the wild west right now in the NIL market.  Article says A&M student athletes have already made 4 million in the past year.  At what point do they just let the Universities pay them....I mean what is the difference, and then have a salary cap or something so there is a max and some schools or markets aren't at such a huge advantage.  Can't believe how it's gone from such one extreme to another, just like that. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Mama Sue said:

I agree about the NIL…. Nebraska’s ad with an emotional appeal to donate to the company that is doing NIL…. The company featuring the exclusive tailgate tent…. 
The landscape has changed for sure

Adapt or get left behind. UND needs to stay ahead of the curve. Learn from 2004-2007 debacle (years NDSU was DI, UND stayed DII).

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1