SiouxSports.com Forum

2022-23 University of North Dakota Hockey Season

Frozen4sioux

6 hours ago, Siouxfancrazy92 said:

You hit the nail right on the head.  Johnson has a total of 36 career games which is equivalent to one Freshman season. He was never giving a long enough leash to make mistakes and show the coaching staff what is capable of doing. He was good in the first half. He did have a couple hiccups but his game was growing as his confidence grew. The coaching staff pulled the rug right out from underneath him in favor of guys with over 125 games yet were still making the same mistakes he was making.  It would be funny if Johnson lands at another NCHC rival school and finishes the last two years as one of the best defenseman in the conference. We could call him Johnny T, 2.0.  

How does he perform in practice? Ice time is earned in practice and additional ice team is earned in games.

Prior to the beginning of the season, I was so looking forward to this being a fun year of watching Sioux hockey. It was bolstered by the team’s pre-season ranking. Expecting a win in Vegas that didn’t happen was the beginning of a sour stomach for me. The season is in a tailspin with no end in sight. The first game I attended was in the barn in 1965. I have seen teams that were crappy, but I don’t remember a team that has regressed as much as this one. There’s talent in the team, which makes even harder to figure out why the train went off the rails so badly. 

• Upvote 3

6 minutes ago, brianvf said:

https://www.uscho.com/2023/02/15/nine-goaltenders-named-semifinalists-for-2023-mike-richter-award-as-top-goalie-in-mens-ncaa-division-i-hockey/

Semi-finalists for the Richter award were announced.
Kind of a surprise that no UND goalies got mentioned.

;) :D :crazy::glare::sad:

That is both funny and sad at the same time.

CHN released their first bracketology.

1. Minnesota vs. 16. Atlantic champ
8. Western Michigan vs. 9. Ohio State

This bracket would wind up in Fargo.

2. Quinnipiac vs. 15. Northeastern
7. St. Cloud State vs. 10. Cornell

This bracket would end up in Bridgeport. I see no issues here. Three Eastern teams lining up there would make the Committee happy. It wouldn't have to worry about anything.

3. Michigan vs. 14. Michigan State
6. Boston University vs. 11. Harvard

Ah, but here we have our first problem. Michigan and Michigan State can't play each other. The easiest solution here would be to swap 13 and 14, as we'll see here:

4. Denver vs. 13. Minnesota State
5. Penn State vs. 12 Michigan Tech

Penn State is the host in Allentown, so would have to be there. Which is fine, actually, since a bracket with BU/Harvard in it should be in Manchester anyway. So Michigan goes to Manchester and Denver goes to Allentown. Some fans will squawk at those one seeds playing on the "home turf" of other schools in the bracket, but at this point, we should all be used to it. I don't think it would hurt those teams much, and there's really no better option, given the requirements.

In this scenario, at least Fargo ticket holders could cheer on WMU to take down a couple B10 teams.

Just one win against DU last weekend would have done wonders.  The PWR Probability pretty much lays out that the only way into the NCAA tourney will be to win the NCHC tourney.

https://www.collegehockeynews.com/ratings/probabilityMatrix.php

Less than a 1% chance to get to PWR 11-13. 
A 1-2% chance to get to PWR 14-15.

2 minutes ago, gfhockey said:

Culture first mentality 

while chaves sits back and watches 

Chaves is doing Chaves' job: Observe the performance of the coaches and teams and adjust when warranted. We aren't quite there with hockey (give it a year). We are there with football (meaning more than an opening round loss is the expectation this season). 

Chaves can't be too passive nor can he be "trigger-happy" either. 

2 minutes ago, Walsh Hall said:

Would it not be better to give the benefit of the doubt to the coaches with decades of experience of coaching at a high level, who also played at a high level, and who literally watch the players every single day, over the armchair quarterbacks with none of the above?

Lots of experienced smart people get fired every day for ineptitude. 

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, Walsh Hall said:

Would it not be better to give the benefit of the doubt to the coaches with decades of experience of coaching at a high level, who also played at a high level, and who literally watch the players every single day, over the armchair quarterbacks with none of the above?

So how long is the leash, 1 ncaa win since 2016 2nd time on his watch we will be on the road for the playoffs. I know Berry is not going anywhere but has to show he can change and get this team where it should be. 

• Upvote 1

19 hours ago, fightingsioux4life said:

Chaves is almost invisible. You don't see him in the community. I have not heard him articulate a vision for where the department as a whole is going and/or should be going.

That said, improving the athletic department as a whole has to start at the top, with President Armacost. If he doesn't set the standard, it simply won't happen.

He has a podcast lol

25 minutes ago, Walsh Hall said:

Yes, but I am also a firm believer in The Peter Principle having witnessed it in more than one organization. 

The Peter principle is therefore expressed as: "In a hierarchy, every employee tends to rise to his level of incompetence." This leads to Peter's corollary: "In time, every post tends to be occupied by an employee who is incompetent to carry out its duties." 

Beware if your coaches/employees are not in demand; it means they are at their level of incompetence. 

• Upvote 2

11 hours ago, Sweethockey said:

Prior to the beginning of the season, I was so looking forward to this being a fun year of watching Sioux hockey. It was bolstered by the team’s pre-season ranking. Expecting a win in Vegas that didn’t happen was the beginning of a sour stomach for me. The season is in a tailspin with no end in sight. The first game I attended was in the barn in 1965. I have seen teams that were crappy, but I don’t remember a team that has regressed as much as this one. There’s talent in the team, which makes even harder to figure out why the train went off the rails so badly. 

I couldn't have said it better.  Also started watching as a 4 year old in the old freezer barn.  

I've never seen a season go south like this when expectations were so high, not just locally, but nationally.  Likely to finish with a losing record.  Dark days for the program.

• Upvote 1

58 minutes ago, SIOUXELEVENS said:

So how long is the leash, 1 ncaa win since 2016 2nd time on his watch we will be on the road for the playoffs. I know Berry is not going anywhere but has to show he can change and get this team where it should be. 

How long a leash? For some people, as long as he wants.

3 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

And how many people even know about it? Not everyone is plugged into social media on a regular basis.

It's mentioned by Tiim and Alex during radio and TV.
It's linked on FightingHawks.com (under Content): https://fightinghawks.com/tags/billchavespod 

4 hours ago, fightingsioux4life said:

And how many people even know about it? Not everyone is plugged into social media on a regular basis.

I agree, I've never listened to it. At a minimum I expect him to do some halftime/intermission interviews or be visible at games. I try to watch as many football, basketball and hockey games as i can. I rarely see him on the broadcasts. Correct me if I'm wrong

• Upvote 1

https://www.grandforksherald.com/sports/und-hockey/how-und-freshman-forward-jackson-blake-became-a-puck-handling-wizard

Since Ralph Engelstad Arena opened in 2001, only four UND freshmen have finished with a point-per-game average — Zach Parise, Brady Murray, T.J. Oshie and Brock Boeser. Blake is on track to join them.

He's also making a run at the NCHC scoring title.

In league games, Blake has 22 points in 18 games. He's in a three-way tie for second place, three points back of leader Jami Krannila, a senior at St. Cloud State. Boeser is the only rookie to ever win the NCHC scoring title. He did it in 2015-16.

Blake is emerging as a frontrunner for NCHC rookie of the year.

In league games, he has a three-point edge on Western Michigan freshman Ryan McAllister and a four-point lead on Minnesota Duluth rookie Ben Steeves.

St. Cloud State contacted Blake the summer before he committed to UND, but he was honest with the Huskies' staff.

"I told them there's only one spot I want to go and that's North Dakota," Blake said. "It's unbelievable here. I'm very fortunate for what the coaching staff gives me. The guys have been unbelievable. It's such a great group. Everything is just awesome. The schedule is perfect. I don't even know how to put it into words. It's so fun here, I never want to leave this place."

While Blake has a list of things he wants to accomplish at UND — getting faster and stronger are priorities — No. 1 is hanging UND's ninth NCAA national title banner.

• Upvote 2

22 minutes ago, brianvf said:

With the win tonight, UND stays at #22 in the PWR and SCSU actually moves up a spot to #5.
But, more importantly now, UND moves into a 3-way tie with UMD and CC in the NCHC standings for 5th (UMD game with DU still going on right now, so that could change).

DU is finishing off UMD as I type this.