SiouxSports.com Forum

2022-23 University of North Dakota Hockey Season

Frozen4sioux

13 hours ago, brianvf said:

A 3-goal 3rd for DU will do it.  Nice.

UND in a 3-way tie for 5th now.  Keep it rolling.

Have to think 5th place finish is most likely hope. Who do we want for the 4 seed matchup, playing in their barn? I have to think Omaha, although we’d get whoever plays worst down the stretch which is okay. If it was neutral, I’d likely take the clowns, but don’t really want them on the Olympic sheet. Really don’t want to play in Lawson and WMU is scary, and I’d be shocked if DU isn’t the 1-seed (not that I’d want them for the matchup). 

35 minutes ago, Brett0909 said:

Have to think 5th place finish is most likely hope. Who do we want for the 4 seed matchup, playing in their barn? I have to think Omaha, although we’d get whoever plays worst down the stretch which is okay. If it was neutral, I’d likely take the clowns, but don’t really want them on the Olympic sheet. Really don’t want to play in Lawson and WMU is scary, and I’d be shocked if DU isn’t the 1-seed (not that I’d want them for the matchup). 

For sure UNO would be our best bet to advance. Not saying we would either way, but I want no part of playing SCSU on their Olympic sheet with our season on the line. 

10 minutes ago, brianvf said:

For sure UNO would be our best bet to advance. Not saying we would either way, but I want no part of playing SCSU on their Olympic sheet with our season on the line. 

Totally agree. I think UNO is average at best. The whole league is down other than Denver. Easily the least amount of talent I have seen in this league since it's creation! 

2 more times last night that UND gave up a goal in the first or last 2 minutes of a period. This isn’t even a trend anymore. Unfortunately it is the same general cast of characters to start and end periods. @MafiaMan is pulling out his hair right now. 

......oh wait he doesn't have any.

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, Oxbow6 said:

2 more times last night that UND gave up a goal in the first or last 2 minutes of a period. This isn’t even a trend anymore. Unfortunately it is the same general cast of characters to start and end periods. @MafiaMan is pulling out his hair right now. 

Mafiaman at start of season...

image.jpeg.30e5d5487f0b2bf34b51bf10d7bcbdff.jpeg

Was messing around with the customizable pairwise ranker on CHN.com and I switched the Arizona State loss to a win and the Bemidji State Tie to a win (left everything else the same). I didn't come away surprised because those two "wins" would have us at 14th in the pairwise rankings. We win those two games and I think there's a different perspective on the season.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, siouxkid12 said:

Was messing around with the customizable pairwise ranker on CHN.com and I switched the Arizona State loss to a win and the Bemidji State Tie to a win (left everything else the same). I didn't come away surprised because those two "wins" would have us at 14th in the pairwise rankings. We win those two games and I think there's a different perspective on the season.

Even if we get in, we are not consistent enough to take advantage of the opportunity.

Just now, fightingsioux4life said:

Even if we get in, we are not consistent enough to take advantage of the opportunity.

There is only one team that ultimately takes advantage, but just having that extra experience for the young guys could pay off in the future.  I think if we would have played during the Covid year playoffs we would have been better off the following year when we lost to Duluth in 5 overtimes, and who knows if they lost in the Covid year, the fire burning might have been that much more intense because they know that feeling they never want to experience again.

1 hour ago, Oxbow6 said:

I was messing around with my make believe xG ranker and I have UND at #6 in the Pairwise and in Fargo as a #2 seed in the Regional.

good for you but the fact of the matter is we never should've lost those games and they are coming back to bite us in the butt...

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Oxbow6 said:

t

6 hours ago, Oxbow6 said:

The fact that this is still going on at this time of the season indicates that this is now part of our "culture".  The cause of this is mental not physical - lack of ability to bear down when needed.

2 hours ago, siouxkid12 said:

I wonder where we would be if we didnt play AZ? It was an unneeded extra game that really wasnt gonna help us in the pairwise to begin with knowing the competition. 

8 hours ago, Oxbow6 said:

2 more times last night that UND gave up a goal in the first or last 2 minutes of a period. This isn’t even a trend anymore. Unfortunately it is the same general cast of characters to start and end periods.

I didn't have the same impression about goals at end of periods, so I decided to throw the whole season into a spreadsheet.

Here's what I came up with (feel free to correct me if I'm wrong; I did this quickly and by hand so errors are possible):

For the entire season, in the first two minutes and last two minutes of a period:  UND 26, Opponents 15.  **

Excluding the first and last two minutes:  UND 81 Opponents 81.

Hypothetically, if the only goals that counted on the season were those scored in the first/last two minutes of periods, UND's record would be 15-8-8, instead of the actual 13-13-5.  This is also a consistency check, seeing that the stats aren't inflated by a couple games with a lot of goals (ahem Miami).

====================================================

By no means do I disagree with the often stated emphasis on avoiding GA and getting GF in the end and start of periods.  I agree with that.   (Case in point: last night vs St Cloud where that's their only two goals.)

** I excluded OT goals, since those are almost always first/last, but that's only 3 goals for the full season anyway.

• Upvote 4

Everyone. Literally everyone over estimated this hockey teams ability to play cohesively on a regular basis. This team has it all. Lackluster recruiting class, old guys that should have graduated and moved on, portal dudes that haven’t panned out, second and third year players that continue to regress.

Matteo, Portz, and Moore are the biggest head scratchers for me. Matteo has been non existent, while Portz had an incredible finish last year, but remains in and out of the lineup. Moore shouldn’t even be on the blue line. Make him a center or play Johnson instead.

Basket Case. Next year this forum will explode in fits of rage. Every game will be like 7-4, 5-4, etc. and winning only half of them. We won’t have a solid defense for another few years, at least.

On 2/18/2023 at 1:27 PM, I Ranger said:

Totally agree. I think UNO is average at best. The whole league is down other than Denver. Easily the least amount of talent I have seen in this league since it's creation! 

Say what you would like, but they are a young team that had they not taken a bad weekend to begin (Niagara) they'd be 8th in the pairwise. I agree that they are our 'best' chance but they are far from average.

• Upvote 1