SiouxSports.com Forum

2022-23 University of North Dakota Hockey Season

Frozen4sioux

On 2/19/2023 at 5:38 PM, farce poobah said:

I didn't have the same impression about goals at end of periods, so I decided to throw the whole season into a spreadsheet.

Here's what I came up with (feel free to correct me if I'm wrong; I did this quickly and by hand so errors are possible):

For the entire season, in the first two minutes and last two minutes of a period:  UND 26, Opponents 15.  **

Excluding the first and last two minutes:  UND 81 Opponents 81.

Hypothetically, if the only goals that counted on the season were those scored in the first/last two minutes of periods, UND's record would be 15-8-8, instead of the actual 13-13-5.  This is also a consistency check, seeing that the stats aren't inflated by a couple games with a lot of goals (ahem Miami).

====================================================

By no means do I disagree with the often stated emphasis on avoiding GA and getting GF in the end and start of periods.  I agree with that.   (Case in point: last night vs St Cloud where that's their only two goals.)

** I excluded OT goals, since those are almost always first/last, but that's only 3 goals for the full season anyway.

I had done a similar analysis.  If you were given the total goals scored against UND and were asked how many should be in the first/last 2 minutes of periods the statistic answer would be correct.  The problem has been giving up too many goals in general.  The percentage of goals allowed in the first/last 2 minutes is right were you'd expect it to be.

• Upvote 2

56 minutes ago, brianvf said:

3 games remaining.

Currently in 6th place.
2pts up on CC, 3pts behind UMD

1st and 8th are pretty much locks.
2-4 are toss-ups....5-7 are toss-ups.
We'll be traveling to one of three locations for first round.

For the sake of winning a 9th natty, just hope it’s at either Omaha or W Mich. No way we win 2 of 3 at Clown on their Olympic size ice sheet vs their speed (overall, we look slow).

23 hours ago, brianvf said:

3 games remaining.

Currently in 6th place.
2pts up on CC, 3pts behind UMD

1st and 8th are pretty much locks.
2-4 are toss-ups....5-7 are toss-ups.
We'll be traveling to one of three locations for first round.

With one weekend remaining...

Still in 6th place, but now 3pts up on CC and only 1pt behind UMD.

9 hours ago, brianvf said:

With one weekend remaining...

Still in 6th place, but now 3pts up on CC and only 1pt behind UMD.

Wasn't this team a preseason top 5 in..........the nation? Now NCHC home ice isn't even a thing.

• Upvote 1

Brad schlossman to Brad Berry , you way underperformed this year what will you change for next year? Well we have a culture here at UND and we will keep preaching that and we plan on wearing Nodak jerseys exclusively next year and if we can have some so so players come back for their fifth year and I can keep the freshman on the bench, thanks. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

4 minutes ago, SIOUXELEVENS said:

Brad schlossman to Brad Berry , you way underperformed this year what will you change for next year? Well we have a culture here at UND and we will keep preaching that and we plan on wearing Nodak jerseys exclusively next year and if we can have some so so players come back for their fifth year and I can keep the freshman on the bench, thanks. 

There isn’t a coach on this planet that loves mediocre 5th year / Seniors more. The more average (or preferably) below average the better. He cannot wait to get 13 back for his 5th year! Culture! 

• Upvote 1

On 2/21/2023 at 2:23 PM, Siouxfancrazy92 said:

I always find it funny anytime somebody says a very reliable source.  Unless you’re getting it directly from the player/coach. Which I doubt.  Could it be that both parties have decided to mutually part ways. 

Exactly…… a very close relative of #25 considered “reliable” inferred he would bolt after Xmas and when asked why it didn’t happen, the source said it was due to an injury he incurred so the Sens advised him otherwise. Whatever.

I have been as hard on Berry as anyone else.  However, the inability to put the puck in the net on a consistent basis will ultimately be the demise of this year's team.  13 goals in the last 6 isn't good enough and won't be going forward.  2 weeks left then figure out how to make sure this type of season doesn't happen again for a long time.

59 minutes ago, siouxweet said:

I have been as hard on Berry as anyone else.  However, the inability to put the puck in the net on a consistent basis will ultimately be the demise of this year's team.  13 goals in the last 6 isn't good enough and won't be going forward.  2 weeks left then figure out how to make sure this type of season doesn't happen again for a long time.

Blue grindaz

1 hour ago, siouxweet said:

Even worse, UND has scored only four goals in its past three games (2, 2, and 0). Yet, considering the season in totality, I would argue that keeping the puck out of the net has been a much bigger problem. 

National rank in G/G: 12. National rank in GA/G: 31. National rank in SV%: 59.

On 2/21/2023 at 5:05 PM, iramurphy said:

I would think Blake. 

He’s not a blue chip, super fun college player to watch though. Playing like a blue chip which is all that matters I suppose. And unlike a blue chip, he should be here for 3 years.

On 2/26/2023 at 12:01 PM, siouxweet said:

People complain that Berry doesn't change anything.  Well, I think Berry realized that they were losing horribly by the defense they were playing and decided to play less aggressively and have the defensemen stay at home a little more.  When you do that, you sacrifice offense.  Let's face it, they weren't doing a great job outscoring teams, but at least now they are in the games, even though they haven't scored as much.   The Minnesota Wild are the same way.  The only reason they are still in the playoff picture is because they have won in the 3x3 and the shootouts. 

3 hours ago, tnt said:

People complain that Berry doesn't change anything.  Well, I think Berry realized that they were losing horribly by the defense they were playing and decided to play less aggressively and have the defensemen stay at home a little more.  When you do that, you sacrifice offense.  Let's face it, they weren't doing a great job outscoring teams, but at least now they are in the games, even though they haven't scored as much.   The Minnesota Wild are the same way.  The only reason they are still in the playoff picture is because they have won in the 3x3 and the shootouts. 

I’ve seen it differently. To me, Coach has been more aggressive on the forecheck in order to keep possession in the O zone. Thus taking pressure off the D defending in the N and D zones.. A best Defense is more offense mentality. Both the Defenseman and goaltender have seemed a lot better recently due to this system. The success has come from dominating time of possession and taking pressure off the weak parts of the team. Give Berry some credit on making the adjustments to the strength of the team. 

• Upvote 2