SiouxSports.com Forum

2022-23 University of North Dakota Hockey Season

Frozen4sioux

14 hours ago, nodakgirl93 said:

Theres enough regular season games for that. 

See, that's been the mentality of everyone all year and you can't think like that. Early season games matter just as much as late season games. Also, it just shows that out of conference games are HUGE in the PWR.

On 2/18/2023 at 1:27 PM, I Ranger said:

Totally agree. I think UNO is average at best. The whole league is down other than Denver. Easily the least amount of talent I have seen in this league since it's creation! 

They just work harder and play together, unlike other teams in the conference. 

9 hours ago, SiouxFanSince1990 said:

Next year this forum will explode in fits of rage. Every game will be like 7-4, 5-4, etc. and winning only half of them. We won’t have a solid defense for another few years, at least.

That and I just know my low back is going to be f cking awful.   

1 hour ago, The Sicatoka said:

This weekend it was glaringly in focus:

10-19-13 play slow. 

Even 27 did not look out of place with 26 and 29 and 20 skating fast.
18 and 22 with 17 can scoot. Even 8/9/28 were playing faster. 

Tell me what 21 can't provide that 13, 19 or 27 do at this point??

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, fightingsioux4life said:

I said a lot of it rang true, not necessarily all of it. There are too many mismatched parts on this team that do not fit together.

...and highlighted is the bizarre part; because everything fit together perfectly last year once they found their footing half-way through.  They're essentially the same team that won the conference minus Ford and Driscoll.   Sure they likely overachieved last year a little, but in no parallel universe should they be this bad.   

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, SKondrashkin said:

They're essentially the same team that won the conference minus Ford and Driscoll.   Sure they likely overachieved last year a little, but in no parallel universe should they be this bad.   

Sanderson doesn’t count?

Granted, with Sanderson’s frequent absence, the change in goal may be a bigger factor.  

16 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

Jackson Kunz, 16 games, 4 goals, and I'm pretty sure the four shots haven't traveled a total of 40 feet. 

Big man; net front; buries the garbage.

Pretty simple formula. 

And we need more of it.

It doesn’t seem like Kunz usually plays a hard, tough game. 

Often this season he reminds me of a center in basketball who, although being the tallest guy on the court, only wants to stand on the three-point line and take jump shots. 

3 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

This weekend it was glaringly in focus:

10-19-13 play slow. 

Even 27 did not look out of place with 26 and 29 and 20 skating fast.
18 and 22 with 17 can scoot. Even 8/9/28 were playing faster. 

The problem is 17 slows his line down with his unwillingness to move the puck.

He scores on the power play because the puck gets moving around and the puck gets to him in open space.

He scored the extra attacker goal on Friday because he raced down the right side and drove to the net and 10 found him .

He scored the game winner because he drove to the  net and pounded home the remains of Blake's hard work.

Watch 17, 5x5, once the puck gets on his stick, in the offensive or neutral zone, he just won't give it up. He needs to move the puck to the open guy and find open space.

He turns everything into a 1x1. It's the reason why he scores very few even strength goals.

No matter how fast a player is ....the puck is always quicker.

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, iluvdebbies said:

He turns everything into a 1x1. 

And when he does he turns over possession inordinately. And the bad habit rubs off on 9. 

Thus my comment in the Friday game thread that 17 nets out negative and I'd be OK if he signed. YMMV. 

2 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

And when he does he turns over possession inordinately. And the bad habit rubs off on 9. 

Thus my comment in the Friday game thread that 17 nets out negative and I'd be OK if he signed. YMMV. 

It would be easier to absorb the loss of 17 than it would be to absorb the loss of 15. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Oxbow6 said:

Tell me what 21 can't provide that 13, 19 or 27 do at this point??

I didn't get to watch the Denver series so I can't comment on how 21 played. But was surprised he wasn't in the lineup both nights. 

I'm hoping this weekend we go with the same lineup....with one change. 10-19-21.

28 minutes ago, iluvdebbies said:

He scores on the power play because the puck gets moving around and the puck gets to him in open space.

He scored the extra attacker goal on Friday because he raced down the right side and drove to the net and 10 found him .

He scored the game winner because he drove to the  net and pounded home the remains of Blake's hard work.

Watch 17, 5x5, once the puck gets on his stick, in the offensive or neutral zone, he just won't give it up. He needs to move the puck to the open guy and find open space.

He turns everything into a 1x1. It's the reason why he scores very few even strength goals.

No matter how fast a player is ....the puck is always quicker.

I’ve noticed this too…vision is an issue. Could hurt him moving forward.

I wish someone who has some inside knowledge would let us in on what is up with the lineups, just crazy some weekends and some players no matter how bad they play stay in the lineup. #6 had good numbers and his plus/minus is not worse then the other D what doesn’t he play? Where was Strinden? Portz played well on Friday and not a shift on sat. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

One of the other main issues the last two seasons.......no consistent scoring 5 x 5 from the forwards. (last years team got some very timely 5 x 5 goals from the d-core  thru out the season which helped). When the d has been as badly exposed like they have been this year, sub par goaltending = recipe for a .500 record. 

Throw in a some roster changes that have not worked out, and a non cohesive locker room rears its ugly head. Anyone else notice UND scores a goal and the players don't seem overly excited. Just kinda ho-hum over to the guy who scored. The body language for this team is something else. 

The coaches, in my opinion, have missed the mark with several recruits the past few years. A few players came in too early. Example, another year of USHL for #6 would have been beneficial. Let's remember he did not complete a full season in USHL due to injury. Was he mentally and emotionally prepared for college hockey? I'm saying no?

• Upvote 1