SiouxSports.com Forum

Smelly Bulldogs

iluvdebbies

Unds PP was solid last night. It wasn’t so predictable…moving the puck to Gaber and him shooting 100% of the time. They got some new guys on the ice who seemed to have nice one timers. Something they should stick with. Also, Moore was a stud last night, he seems to be really inconsistent as far as when to call his own number and when not to. His skill is obvious though. I believe we got out shot however I know we had a ton of scoring opportunities and didn’t capitalize. I thought we looked good last night.

5 minutes ago, Goon said:

I think we are beginning to see why UND has Brent Johnson. The kid has some game. 

Looked pretty iffy on a few shifts to me. I may have missed him later on during the game, I didn’t really notice him on the ice late in the game.

1 hour ago, Wilbur said:

CBS lost a lot when they let Holden go, but there is some Chemistry between Alex and Starman and its still a good production for college hockey.

I've always liked Shireen, seems like she married down though....;)

I was thinking that last night, Alex looks like he belongs in that cbs sports blazer.  His extended audition will probably be our loss. Hopefully Jody gets the nod from midco. 

Sandy get a dig in on the officiating

“It wasn’t our best night,” said Bulldogs coach Scott Sandelin, who added the 4-1 power play discrepancy (with North Dakota getting two 4-on-3 advantages) was tough. “I would have liked to have some opportunities ourselves. Five-on-five, I thought we did some good things. I thought we were the better team 5-on-5. The way it is right now, you got to have special teams going, and they did. They capitalized, so give them credit.”

24 minutes ago, Vegas_Sioux said:

I was thinking that last night, Alex looks like he belongs in that cbs sports blazer.  He’s extended audition will probably be are loss. Hopefully Jody gets the nod from midco. 

I think that Alex is probably on the road to bigger and better things. The fact that he can call other sports beside hockey makes him a valuable asset. It would be our loss for sure. If UND does go looking for a hockey PXP announcer, I really hope they give former BSU TV PXP announcer Scott Williams. He'd be a great person to step in. He calls the game fair and does a lot of prep before every broadcast. Like Alex, he can call other sports, too. 

11 hours ago, N of GF said:

They do consistently out-recruit and out-coach UND. Hot goalie, maybe?

UMD certainly DOES NOT out-recruit UND. Just look at their NHL players vs. UND NHL players. What UMD does is recruit players with low flight risk who remain and play 4 or 5 years. Overall UND has to compete with freshman, sophomores and transferees. That's a tall coaching task for Berry and his staff. I give them mega kudos.

• Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, ND_Texan said:

UMD certainly DOES NOT out-recruit UND. Just look at their NHL players vs. UND NHL players. What UMD does is recruit players with low flight risk who remain and play 4 or 5 years. Overall UND has to compete with freshman, sophomores and transferees. That's a tall coaching task for Berry and his staff. I give them mega kudos.

He might have been having some fun, Texan.  

38 minutes ago, ND_Texan said:

I don't know. I read all over these boards about how we keep missing the best recruits, and Sandy is a better coach than Berry.

I know we're in second place in the best conference in college hockey. Earlier in the season we swept the team that's in first place. And this is after losing 14 guys from the team last year. Sure, we had a drop off in goaltending, but he seems to be improving quite a bit lately. I can't imagine why. We've had a lot of injuries and lately and our best d-man has been out for juniors and the Olympics. Sure, some of the younger guys have been stepping up, but that's probably just a fluke. Frisch is on a tear. Moore made a beauty of a move to snipe a goal last night. Gaber has become quite a player. We were one of the two or three favorites to win the national title only two seasons ago before covidism shut it all down. Covid had an impact on a really good run last season, too. There are a lot of other positive things happening with the team that could be discussed. 

No. We are all assured on a daily basis that Berry can't recruit. Berry can't coach. His system is the problem, you see. Elite players can't score here. Average talent can't develop here. It should be easy to get any player we want because we are UND. We have the best facilities and the best culture and the best fans. The only reason a teenage boy could possibly decide to play hockey somewhere else is because Berry doesn't know how to recruit. Everyone knows that teenage boys have the same priorities as middle-aged men. Teenagers are also known for making really good decisions. Yet some of them choose not to play hockey in the world class city of Grand Forks, North Dakota. Berry must be the problem.

Now we have a thread suggesting Karl should be the head coach. Why? Because he's younger than Berry, and some young coaches have been hired in the NFL recently. Nothing is more important than following trends! Especially trends from the NFL!

Fire Berry! Hire Karl! 

• Upvote 4

6 minutes ago, N of GF said:

I don't know. I read all over these boards about how we keep missing the best recruits, and Sandy is a better coach than Berry.

I know we're in second place in the best conference in college hockey. Earlier in the season we swept the team that's in first place. And this is after losing 14 guys from the team last year. Sure, we had a drop off in goaltending, but he seems to be improving quite a bit lately. I can't imagine why. We've had a lot of injuries and lately and our best d-man has been out for juniors and the Olympics. Sure, some of the younger guys have been stepping up, but that's probably just a fluke. Frisch is on a tear. Moore made a beauty of a move to snipe a goal last night. Gaber has become quite a player. We were one of the two or three favorites to win the national title only two seasons ago before covidism shut it all down. Covid had an impact on a really good run last season, too. There are a lot of other positive things happening with the team that could be discussed. 

No. We are all assured on a daily basis that Berry can't recruit. Berry can't coach. His system is the problem, you see. Elite players can't score here. Average talent can't develop here. It should be easy to get any player we want because we are UND. We have the best facilities and the best culture and the best fans. The only reason a teenage boy could possibly decide to play hockey somewhere else is because Berry doesn't know how to recruit. Everyone knows that teenage boys have the same priorities as middle-aged men. Teenagers are also known for making really good decisions. Yet some of them choose not to play hockey in the world class city of Grand Forks, North Dakota. Berry must be the problem.

Now we have a thread suggesting Karl should be the head coach. Why? Because he's younger than Berry, and some young coaches have been hired in the NFL recently. Nothing is more important than following trends! Especially trends from the NFL!

Fire Berry! Hire Karl! 

Brad’s 56

Dane’s 51

Karl’s 43

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Goon said:

There was one penalty on UMD that was even close to marginal.  UMD got a huge break that the reviewed call was not a major.  It would have been a major and a game for a UND player.  Due to the contact with the glass with elbow to head, the NCHC likely would have suspended said player for the game tonight.  This is just one of the reasons that I do not like Sandy as a coach.  He will definitely tell his players to flop tonight to get more calls, and they likely will.  They did try a couple of dives last night, but credit to the officials they were not called.

29 minutes ago, N of GF said:

Fire Berry! Hire Karl! 

Dripping with irony and sarcasm…. I like it!

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, KSSioux said:

There was one penalty on UMD that was even close to marginal.  UMD got a huge break that the reviewed call was not a major.  It would have been a major and a game for a UND player.  Due to the contact with the glass with elbow to head, the NCHC likely would have suspended said player for the game tonight.  This is just one of the reasons that I do not like Sandy as a coach.  He will definitely tell his players to flop tonight to get more calls, and they likely will.  They did try a couple of dives last night, but credit to the officials they were not called.

And in the CC/Miami game last night, the refs gave a RedHawks player a 5 and a game for an elbow to the head that looked no different than the hit in the UND game. Funny how one set of officials see a virtually identical play so differently than another. I thought both elbows deserved a 5 and a game. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Goon said:

I'm happy they didn't get a major on that CTH because if they had you would have seen several bulldogs going for academy awards later in the contest.  

Or on the other side you can be impressed with guys who suffer devastating injuries and end up healthy enough to get on the PP1 unit 20 seconds later.