SiouxSports.com Forum

2022 Football Season

Dustin

On 11/13/2022 at 1:53 PM, Nodak78 said:

I heard they all went out but are coming back from what I heard.

That's really good to hear. You wouldn't think it based on some of the opinions on him from some here, but especially these last few weeks, Kaup has been not only good, but far and away the best safety they have. It would be a huge boost if he did indeed come back. I'm talking Siegel / Ventrelli tier of importance. 

10 minutes ago, Dustin said:

So, do we have a clear picture of which players will be here in '23 and which ones won't?  Or is it still a lot of speculation?

I'm going with there is a lot to the list that Shannon went over on the 360-podcast last week. There has to be. At least to how players are feeling at this moment. I'm guessing we'll see players each way flip, but I would say it's solid. 

6 hours ago, AJS said:

That's really good to hear. You wouldn't think it based on some of the opinions on him from some here, but especially these last few weeks, Kaup has been not only good, but far and away the best safety they have. It would be a huge boost if he did indeed come back. I'm talking Siegel / Ventrelli tier of importance. 

If Ventrelli wants to play in the NFL he should come back and improve. Not the kind of Waletzko kind of season that he needed this year

7 hours ago, AJS said:

Kaup's mother wants him to come back a little persuasion I think he does.  We have an offense returning key defense to comeback we will be just fine.  Underclassman gives the depth we need.

On 11/14/2022 at 2:42 PM, AJS said:

The opinions expressed here are light years from the opinions of the players and their parents.

• Upvote 3

44 minutes ago, Dustin said:

This year’s defense. I thought our offense was decent enough last year. Freund improved upon it this year. Holinka’s defense regressed by a lot. 

Agree.  Our offensive regression last year was mostly due to losing 3 starters on OL and having a below average OL.  Yes I get we still had Waletzko last year.  We only lose 1 OL next year at least (unless transfers).  With transfers out and graduation though....we did lose quite a bit in OLB and secondary....and it showed.  I guess when you think about our starting OLB's, safeties....and 1 ILB being gone....and 2 corners transferring out...hmmmm maybe shouldn't be surprising in a sense.  But was hoping we had better depth.   Have no clue how we take a huge step forward on D next year. 

• Upvote 1

So, Bubba is under contract for the next couple years. If he leaves voluntarily, it will be with a ‘gentleman’s agreement’ that one of his staff takes the reigns, presumably Danny. The only way a change happens soon is under Bubba’s rules. There is no way that after getting an extension when UND missed the playoffs that he will be fired after making the playoffs. When Bubba leaves the program needs a total overhaul.

I think Oxbow floated this idea a couple months back, but UND should look 70 miles south and get Grant Olson before another program beats UND to him. It worked for Montana State when the hired Brent Vigen (after he followed Bohl to Wyoming).

I know Ira will defend Bubba and the coaching staff as he always does, but it really looks like Bubba has reached his ceiling. And even though Danny is very popular, it is time for new blood and a new direction for the program.

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, zonadub said:

So, Bubba is under contract for the next couple years. If he leaves voluntarily, it will be with a ‘gentleman’s agreement’ that one of his staff takes the reigns, presumably Danny. The only way a change happens soon is under Bubba’s rules. There is no way that after getting an extension when UND missed the playoffs that he will be fired after making the playoffs. When Bubba leaves the program needs a total overhaul.

I think Oxbow floated this idea a couple months back, but UND should look 70 miles south and get Grant Olson before another program beats UND to him. It worked for Montana State when the hired Brent Vigen (after he followed Bohl to Wyoming).

I know Ira will defend Bubba and the coaching staff as he always does, but it really looks like Bubba has reached his ceiling. And even though Danny is very popular, it is time for new blood and a new direction for the program.

Why is it presumed that Danny wouldn't take the program in a new direction? 

He's 20 some years younger than Bubba and is likely to think differently as a HC than as an OC.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, zonadub said:

UND has one playoff win in … wait for it … 9 seasons!

Bubba has definitely reached his ceiling. Hiring someone from a successful program, whether that’s NDSU or an ascending DII head coach, just getting new blood at some point is wry important. The current style and culture of the UND football program is certainly not championship caliber. @iramurphy will defend the staff, but the honest to God truth is there are far better, smarter people out there that UND could hire at the same rate they have Bubba currently hired for.  The coaches salary pool still needs to be improved, though, no questions asked. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

Bubba has definitely reached his ceiling. Hiring someone from a successful program, whether that’s NDSU or an ascending DII head coach, just getting new blood at some point is wry important. The current style and culture of the UND football program is certainly not championship caliber. @iramurphy will defend the staff, but the honest to God truth is there are far better, smarter people out there that UND could hire at the same rate they have Bubba currently hired for.  The coaches salary pool still needs to be improved, though, no questions asked. 

@iramurphy probably thought Mussman shouldn't have been let go in 2013 either. And that is the attitude holding the entire athletic department down. We are now "that other school in North Dakota that doesn't win anything". :angry:

I don’t think it’s a good idea to hire a “UND guy” just because he has a UND background.

For those of you who would like to go that route, what makes you think Danny is a better option than Jake Landry or Luke Schleusner? Even if we do stick to UND grads, I think there are better or equal options to what Danny offers. 

21 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

I think Ira alluded to this earlier but who are these "far better, smarter people out there" that UND could hire at those salaries?

4 minutes ago, shep said:

I think Ira alluded to this earlier but who are these "far better, smarter people out there" that UND could hire at those salaries?

Oh cmon. I wish UND paid much higher salaries to football coaches, but they certainly pay enough to make competitive hires. Bubba makes more than Brent Vigen. 

• Upvote 2