SiouxSports.com Forum

2022 Football Season

Dustin

1 minute ago, SooToo said:

Maybe stats need to be interpreted in the context of your opponents. I can't comment on the strength of other conferences, but I think most would agree the Big Sky and the Valley are among the strongest. You noted UND did relatively well defensively 2019-21. (I can't find the stats from spring 2021 season.) In 2021, UND ranked 4th in scoring defense in the Valley at 20.3 ppg (7th vs run but 3rd vs pass), but we were 8th in scoring offense. This year, we were 4th in scoring offense at 30.9 ppg but 9th in scoring defense, giving up 30.8 ppg. Same coaches, same schemes.

Certainly room for improvement, and recruiting definitely open to criticism, but  it's difficult to fault defensive scheme or coaching decisions with such big swings in performance year-to-year. Looks more like a personnel issue: What/who changed for UND from 2021 to 2022?

For those who question the effectiveness of 3-4, interesting that Montana topped the Big Sky defensively this year at 19 ppg and was 2nd in 2021 at 16.3 ppg running a very similar defense. (3-3-5, actually).

We’ve had varying levels of personnel in D1 but the results have never been good enough. That’s enough for me to suggest the scheme ain’t working. 

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, SooToo said:

What/who changed for UND from 2021 to 2022?

There actually were a number of big names missing from the defense from '21 to '22:  Holm (grad/retired), Fort (on roster, but injured), Nelson (transfer), Canady (grad/retired), Seguin, Pierre, and Lickfeldt (Can't remember the various scenarios with those last 3 guys).  So maybe I've overreacted on calling for a new DC.  Still need something big to happen on defense.  It'd be nice if it were to happen under Tommy's offense.

4 minutes ago, Dustin said:

There actually were a number of big names missing from the defense from '21 to '22:  Holm (grad/retired), Fort (on roster, but injured), Nelson (transfer), Canady (grad/retired), Seguin, Pierre, and Lickfeldt (Can't remember the various scenarios with those last 3 guys).  So maybe I've overreacted on calling for a new DC.  Still need something big to happen on defense.  It'd be nice if it were to happen under Tommy's offense.

Jaxson Turner, Noah Larson and Ty Shannon.  I knew the defense would take some time to rebuild, but it just never came together.

6 minutes ago, Dustin said:

Lol, says big names, forgets Turner and Larson adds Lickfeldt.

4 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

Lol, says big names, forgets Turner and Larson adds Lickfeldt.

Haha, trying to do this while attending a work meeting.  Point is, we were a lot more depleted than I was remembering throughout the season.

Let's look at this slightly differently:

Same coaches, same schema, different personnel, and the results getting worse.

Might it not be any of those but the combination (coach/schema/personnel) meaning ...

Has UND become predictable on defense and teams know what to run in various situations? 

10 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

We did lose a lot but not enough to give up 30+ a game. No excuse for that. 

So what's the explanation then? Why did points allowed jump by roughly 50% in one year if not due to personnel changes?

Seems pretty clear the problem has been failure to recruit and/or development replacements for some very strong talent that left after 2021, including Canady, Turner, Larson and others -- all of whom were recruited by this same staff that's too old, too D-II, too satisfied with mediocrity.  

1 hour ago, Sioux>Bison said:

With all SDSU’s success they still haven’t won a national title. If Bubba had that roster he would have the same success. Is Bubba the reason we don’t have that roster? Maybe so but maybe not the main reason. I see no issue with making a big change once Bubba contract is over

And that's the rub - a problem created by Chaves' bizarre decision to extend a 5-6 coach whose coaching that season could only charitably be described as sup-par.  

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, jdub27 said:

What position would you look to give a guy who's been a grad assistant for 2 years and spent the rest of his career as an LB coach? Are we talking DC or HC? 

How do you think Stig changed from an average coach for a few decades to whatever you'd consider him now?
Do you really think Entz is a great head coach? Or was he born on 3rd base with the program he took over?

I think Entz and Stig both have had grossly superior coaching staffs compared to Bubba’s UND staff. The concern is coaching, but it definitely is a group effort. By no means are the shortcomings entirely on Bubba’s shoulders, but rather the entire staff. 

SDSU’s offensive coordinator from last year is now head coach at Idaho, which had a good season. Entz is a goofy individual, but has maintained the championship brand at NDSU. As much crap as Tyler Roehl and Hedberg get, including from their own fans, I think they do a mighty fine job. The results speak for themselves.  

2 hours ago, Sioux>Bison said:

Is Bubba the reason we don’t have that roster?

Bubba *AND* his entire staff, yes. Recruiting is only a start; coaching and development starts after the commitment. The coaching and development part is average, just as is the recruiting. Certainly not above average or championship level. 

*Now, I’ll admit, the essentially minimum wage that some of UND’s coaches are payed is an absolute barrier and a problem.

1 hour ago, Sioux>Bison said:

And UND is finally putting in some focus on football finally too so where is the difference?

and SDSU still has no national title 

UND’s focus on football? If it’s so important to them and they want to “put in a focus”, then they need to put their money where their mouth is. The coaching salary pool is abysmal. Now simply paying the coaches more won’t make them coach better (although it could with more resources), but it will allow for more qualified hires. 

1 hour ago, SooToo said:

Certainly room for improvement, and recruiting definitely open to criticism, but  it's difficult to fault defensive scheme or coaching decisions with such big swings in performance year-to-year. Looks more like a personnel issue: What/who changed for UND from 2021 to 2022?

It’s not just the scheme, so you’re right, but there is a coaching deficiency beyond that. The roster management at UND is awful.

Coaches recruit the players, and develop them not only physically but mentally. They are mentors, or not very good ones, depending on how they approach it. 

For UND, the personnel issues you suggest are certainly there, but it’s on the coaches to prevent those holes by recruiting and developing better players. How they approach the program and “patch holes” is a part of the job description. 

Bubba and his current staff are AVERAGE at running a division I college football program. 

33 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

I think Entz and Stig both have had grossly superior coaching staffs compared to Bubba’s UND staff. The concern is coaching, but it definitely is a group effort. By no means are the shortcomings entirely on Bubba’s shoulders, but rather the entire staff. 

SDSU’s offensive coordinator from last year is now head coach at Idaho, which had a good season. Entz is a goofy individual, but has maintained the championship brand at NDSU. As much crap as Tyler Roehl and Hedberg get, including from their own fans, I think they do a mighty fine job. The results speak for themselves.  

22 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

It’s not just the scheme, so you’re right, but there is a coaching deficiency beyond that. The roster management at UND is awful.

Coaches recruit the players, and develop them not only physically but mentally. They are mentors, or not very good ones, depending on how they approach it. 

For UND, the personnel issues you suggest are certainly there, but it’s on the coaches to prevent those holes by recruiting and developing better players. How they approach the program and “patch holes” is a part of the job description. 

Bubba and his current staff are AVERAGE at running a division I college football program. 

Yet Bubba and his staff will a roster riddled with D2 players and terrible scheme to the playoffs?

I mean, not everything is duckies and bunnies, but you can't rail on absolutely everything being broken (athletic department, coaching staff, players, scheme, etc). Somehow they are getting "OK" results. That doesn't happen when nothing is good and everything is bad.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, jdub27 said:

Yet Bubba and his staff will a roster riddled with D2 players and terrible scheme to the playoffs?

I mean, not everything is duckies and bunnies, but you can't rail on absolutely everything being broken (athletic department, coaching staff, players, scheme, etc). Somehow they are getting "OK" results. That doesn't happen when nothing is good and everything is bad.

Oh c’mon. Please see above, which I wrote “Bubba and his current staff are AVERAGE at running a division I college football program. 

• Upvote 2

38 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

Oh c’mon. Please see above, which I wrote “Bubba and his current staff are AVERAGE at running a division I college football program. 

Literally the most positive thing you've ever said about them. There are plenty of other comments where you've described them as anything but average.

• Upvote 3

3 hours ago, geaux_sioux said:

At some point we just need to say !@#$ everyone and be like the Raiders back in the day. Just win baby!

Well that should’ve been well known a decade ago coming out of the nickname debacle! Also could’ve hired DeBoer! But here we are, just figuring it out now that we need to win for respect! 

UND can’t go around 0.500 every season and just expect everyone to just kiss their feet.

• Upvote 1