SiouxSports.com Forum

2022 Football Season

Dustin

So the defense has obviously been a disappointment this year.  Snowball effect of having young corners on one end and also just not getting much pressure on the QB to help out the secondary.  Holinka at times in the past, many of us thought he was maybe better than Schmidt so far as defensive coordinator and/or thought maybe he would be the one to get the nod as head coach over Freund when that time came.  I don't think a coach goes from being a good coordinator one year to a bad coordinator the next year.  Since I don't think a coach goes from being good to bad in a year, are the players just not making plays?  I think it is probably more that than anything.  I don't know the answers or what can be done to change it, but usually when the defense performs poorly you look at DC, so you do have to look at that in a sense (I don't mean canning Holinka).  As some others have said, at this point in the season we are what we are, and our defense just isn't that good......and we are going to have to win despite of it, get some timely stops....etc..

Thoughts? 

29 minutes ago, Sioux94 said:

olinka at times in the past, many of us thought he was maybe better than Schmidt so far as defensive coordinator and/or thought maybe he would be the one to get the nod as head coach over Freund when that time came. 

I did/have think/thought both of those things at one point. But at this time, Danny’s command of the offense would make him the heir apparent. 

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Sioux94 said:

So the defense has obviously been a disappointment this year.  Snowball effect of having young corners on one end and also just not getting much pressure on the QB to help out the secondary.  Holinka at times in the past, many of us thought he was maybe better than Schmidt so far as defensive coordinator and/or thought maybe he would be the one to get the nod as head coach over Freund when that time came.  I don't think a coach goes from being a good coordinator one year to a bad coordinator the next year.  Since I don't think a coach goes from being good to bad in a year, are the players just not making plays?  I think it is probably more that than anything.  I don't know the answers or what can be done to change it, but usually when the defense performs poorly you look at DC, so you do have to look at that in a sense (I don't mean canning Holinka).  As some others have said, at this point in the season we are what we are, and our defense just isn't that good......and we are going to have to win despite of it, get some timely stops....etc..

Thoughts? 

Look at our personnel compared to last year on d. It’s a massive drop off. Transfers hurt as did Chandon leaving for law school. Losing 1 dl and 1 OLB shouldn’t have wrecked this position groups though. CB makes sense, not the others.

5 hours ago, geaux_sioux said:

Look at our personnel compared to last year on d. It’s a massive drop off. Transfers hurt as did Chandon leaving for law school. Losing 1 dl and 1 OLB shouldn’t have wrecked this position groups though. CB makes sense, not the others.

Lost more than 1 DL and 1 OLB and corners, but I agree, I thought D would be better by this point in season.

The corner opposite of Siegel doesn’t appear to be a glaring issue anymore. Over the past few weeks it’s appeared the opposition has thrown to #3’s side as much if not more. Not calling CB a strength, but they definitely aren’t favoring the opposite side anymore. 

1 minute ago, AJS said:

The corner opposite of Siegel doesn’t appear to be a glaring issue anymore. Over the past few weeks it’s appeared the opposition has thrown to #3’s side as much if not more. Not calling CB a strength, but they definitely aren’t favoring the opposite side anymore. 

without the tape you wonder if cj has been left on an island a little too much to cover for the other side...he was 1-1 on htat td against sdac.

1 hour ago, UND Fan said:

Don't think he got a raw deal other than we were unable to pay him what he received to move to SDSU!

Didn't he leave when Mussman was let go?
He was WR/OC his last year here. A new coach likely wasn't going to keep the old OC at the same position and took a guaranteed job in Brookings. Doubt there was some sort of definitive pay increase to go to SDSU and be the TE coach. Can't find the info that far back but in 2017, he was only at ~$50,000.

53 minutes ago, UND Fan said:

Don't think he got a raw deal other than we were unable to pay him what he received to move to SDSU!

I might be wrong, but I believe he was our OC the last year under Muss.  So when Muss got fired they let everyone go other than Freund.  Luke appears to be doing quite well and moving up the ranks.  But he has also surely gained a lot more knowledge in the last 10 years working for one of the better offenses in the FCS (SDSU).   With his experience at the time, I don't think any FCS school would have made him their OC when we did, but we were familiar with him and got him cheaper than most FCS coordinators were getting paid at the time.   He appears to be doing really well at Idaho now though, well the Idaho team is doing really well I haven't really looked at their offense specifically but it all goes hand in hand.  Is he a better OC than Danny, it could turn out to be that he is, but who knows.  I do think Danny is a pretty good OC though, even though I get frustrated with him at times.   Maybe if Danny got elevated to Head Coach, he would try to recruit Luke as OC.  Which I'm sure he would only  take it if we paid him more than Idaho and if it appeared to be a step up for him in general.

On 10/31/2022 at 11:08 AM, Dustin said:

I like the fact that our defense is unique from most other systems, but the cracks that have been developing for a while seem to be getting wider.  I am not a proponent of switching systems, but I'd like our system to work better.  

But at what point do you gameplan based on the skills of the players you actually have and not the players you wished you had.  This holds true for all 3 phases of the game.

• Upvote 2

15 minutes ago, nodakvindy said:

But at what point do you gameplan based on the skills of the players you actually have and not the players you wished you had.  This holds true for all 3 phases of the game.

100% of the time if you know how to coach worth a damn - that’s literally the job of the coaches, to put the players in the best position to be successful. Not force the players to do what the coaches want or like. Failure to adjust to your players is a measure of sh*tty coaching. It shows the coaches can’t adapt or change to something else - they’re only able to teach one thing…

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, nodakvindy said:

Yeah, I agree.  Design the system for the players you have.  I think we’ve been doing a really good job with on offense. 

13 minutes ago, SWSiouxMN said:

No freshman that is lighting it up on the scout team that they wouldn't want to try and throw into the rotation and see what happens?

Of course, if there was one, they probably would have put him out there by now. 

Both sides of the ball have complicated schemes to learn. Caden Denis has burned his shirt though 

6 minutes ago, Sioux>Bison said:

Both sides of the ball have complicated schemes to learn. Caden Denis has burned his shirt though 

I figured my post would be wishful thinking. 

It is what it is at this point, I hope that someone can figure it out soon and can bring the defense up to respectable.