SiouxSports.com Forum

2022 Football Season

Dustin

21 minutes ago, sioux24/7 said:

If a change were to happen, would think we would find out within the week. Having said that, I don’t think anything will happen. 

While I think that would be a mistake, I don’t doubt that this is correct. 

45 minutes ago, shep said:

Why is it presumed that Danny wouldn't take the program in a new direction? 

He's 20 some years younger than Bubba and is likely to think differently as a HC than as an OC.

How many times does it have to be said?  Inbreeding.

32 minutes ago, shep said:

I think Ira alluded to this earlier but who are these "far better, smarter people out there" that UND could hire at those salaries?

Well, first off, that is a major question, but there should be no doubt better coaches are out there. Starts with what you have to offer contractually and financially. It then takes an extensive search to narrow that down and come up with the guys that are interested. If you look at what Bubba is currently making, there are a ton of FCS coordinators and DII head coaches on the potential list. I personally would go with an up and coming DII head coach, or a coordinator off the SDSU or NDSU staff. Top DII programs include Ferris State, Angelo State, Colorado School of Mines, Grand Valley State, Indiana (PA), and Shepherd.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, MNHawk said:

Oh cmon. I wish UND paid much higher salaries to football coaches, but they certainly pay enough to make competitive hires. Bubba makes more than Brent Vigen. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bozemandailychronicle.com/sports/bobcats/football/brent-vigens-contract-as-montana-state-football-head-coach-extended-through-2026/article_5432e65f-2349-5ca4-bbd9-c1ad87ff5245.amp.html

Maybe on the surface it looks that way but look at bonuses.

2 hours ago, zonadub said:

So, Bubba is under contract for the next couple years. If he leaves voluntarily, it will be with a ‘gentleman’s agreement’ that one of his staff takes the reigns, presumably Danny. The only way a change happens soon is under Bubba’s rules. There is no way that after getting an extension when UND missed the playoffs that he will be fired after making the playoffs. When Bubba leaves the program needs a total overhaul.

I think Oxbow floated this idea a couple months back, but UND should look 70 miles south and get Grant Olson before another program beats UND to him. It worked for Montana State when the hired Brent Vigen (after he followed Bohl to Wyoming).

I know Ira will defend Bubba and the coaching staff as he always does, but it really looks like Bubba has reached his ceiling. And even though Danny is very popular, it is time for new blood and a new direction for the program.

I can 100% guarantee you that Grant would not take a gig at UND.

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, nodak651 said:

Fair enough. Salary comparisons are probably more complex than they appear on the surface. It does seem that Bubba’s salary would allow us to have a competitive budget for a new hire, but I’d be interested to know if someone has done more research on how UND’s salary+bonuses compare to the salary+bonuses of others. 

What are we hoping to see this off-season? I’m genuinely curious on the defensive side of the ball.

Offensively: No surprises in the Portal. Lose the 5th year guys / Seniors. They’ll be in great shape.

Defensively: Where do you start? This is the worst it’s been as the defense wasn’t exactly young. Inexperienced (OLB for example), but not young. The last two games shined such a spotlight on the unit that something will be done. 
I’ll simply ask, do you want large chunks of this defense back next year? Would you be excited if KK / Buckner / Siegel return and the secondary doesn’t lose anyone? Or yes to those guys returning, but hope for guys below them to hit the portal? 

On 12/12/2021 at 12:19 PM, Midwestern Hawk said:

Going through 2022 schedule and trying to make a  prediction on 12/12/2021 for the 2022 season.  

Tommy will be the QB to start the season.

Offense will be roughly the same as 2021(Losing Otis will hurt), defense will not be able to fill the losses to defection and graduation.

@Nebraska - L

N Iowa - "TOSS UP" - Huge game.  A must win.

@NAU - "TOSS UP" - another huge game.

@SIU - L - SIU program is rising quickly, on the road.

MSU - W(as long as UNI or NAU are wins)

@YSU - based on the game in November and UND record on the road over the years - L

BYE

SDSU - "Toss-up" - coming off a bye week and at home

TBD - Need a D1 patsy(pioneer league team) - W

@ISU - W - Indiana State is bad.

USD - W - USD will be have a down year, Nielsen is avg coach, running avg program

@NDSU - L

Need the TBD to be a "sure" win.  HAVE to beat UNI at home or NAU on the road or the season could get away from us. Win them both and a top half MVFC and playoff berth is not out of the question.

6 games(4 at home) vs 2021 playoff teams plus @Nebraska.

How did I do?  We won early "toss ups", and the rest went about as predicted.

22 minutes ago, AJS said:

What are we hoping to see this off-season? I’m genuinely curious on the defensive side of the ball.

Offensively: No surprises in the Portal. Lose the 5th year guys / Seniors. They’ll be in great shape.

Defensively: Where do you start? This is the worst it’s been as the defense wasn’t exactly young. Inexperienced (OLB for example), but not young. The last two games shined such a spotlight on the unit that something will be done. 
I’ll simply ask, do you want large chunks of this defense back next year? Would you be excited if KK / Buckner / Siegel return and the secondary doesn’t lose anyone? Or yes to those guys returning, but hope for guys below them to hit the portal? 

Complete overhaul on defense. Don’t get complacent on offense and special teams. 

If you can get a talented player in the portal, you get them. Obviously the priority is defensive back (corner and safety), but linebacker, defensive line and kicker also important. Hoosman is gone, so grabbing a talented running back also not a bad idea. Need more talent at receiver. Losing Zavalney, so grab a talented tight end if able. Another offensive line body for depth is fine also. Would you consider a project QB with good arm strength and speed as a project behind Tommy? 

Point is, UND football needs to get more talented. Self scout and grades will dictate this, as the defense and a couple offensive positions are not getting good on-the-field grades … 

• Upvote 3

18 minutes ago, AJS said:

If a team gets more than 3 real players out of the portal a year, it is just lucky.  so much potential downside from a chemistry and team culture angle too.  That being said we need some serious help on defense.  ILB, OLB, S and C.

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, Midwestern Hawk said:

How did I do?  We won early "toss ups", and the rest went about as predicted.

UND went 2-1 in “toss ups” which is good obviously. Based on that, I suppose UND had an above average season. 

In order to have a good to great season, need to buck the trend and beat NDSU and/or SDSU in the future. 

2 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

UND went 2-1 in “toss ups” which is good obviously. Based on that, I suppose UND had an above average season. 

I think 2022 was on the upper end of realistic expectations, if we would have lost vs NIU or @NAU, the season would have been much different and on the lower end of expectations.  IMO, something should have been done after last season, that was a better team which woefully underperformed and literally just gave away at least 2 games(NDSU and MSU).

20 minutes ago, AJS said:

Defensively: Where do you start?

New DC. Even if someone is promoted internally. Need to send a message that defense was the letdown of the team. Hit the transfer portal hard in a hopefully one-time effort to shore up the defense for next season. Hit the recruiting trail hard for better defensive players.  It’d be a real shame  next year if we have one of the best (if not best) QBs in program history but can’t give him a worthwhile defense when he’s not on the field. 

5 minutes ago, Dustin said:

New DC. Even if someone is promoted internally. Need to send a message that defense was the letdown of the team. Hit the transfer portal hard in a hopefully one-time effort to shore up the defense for next season. Hit the recruiting trail hard for better defensive players.  It’d be a real shame  next year if we have one of the best (if not best) QBs in program history but can’t give him a worthwhile defense when he’s not on the field. 

I think we are scapegoating Holinka.  Look at the last 2 games.  The offense was pathetic when it counted.  Much different calling defense with the lead and a consistent offense than when you are consistently not scoring and usually 3 and out on offense.  

The defense was awful yesterday, but we didn't even have a decent offensive drive until we were down 24-0, fairly late in the second quarter.  Hard to make adjustments when the offense goes 3 and out.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

I’m shocked at how many people are impressed by our offense after these last two games. With four minutes left in the first half yesterday, we had two first downs and four punts. Our offense did nothing for the first 26 minutes of the game. A big reason for the 24-0 deficit was that our offense did nothing almost the entire first half of the game (and then got bailed out by the refs). 

Our first quarter drives against NDSU consisted of two punts and a fumble along with three first downs across the three drives. We went down 21-0. Our offense didn’t come out of the gates prepared for either of these games, and you can’t give away an entire quarter or half against good teams. 

The defense needs upgrades, but the offense has to be able to stay on the field when the defense is struggling. 

• Upvote 1

The offense wasn't great the last couple games, but you can't get too upset with scoring 31 points.  Tough when you have no margin for error, you basically have to score every drive since your D is so bad.

All the talk of coaches, players, whatever - our personnel on defense really needs to improve.  Obviously recruiting talent is on the coaches.  I really don't think the scheme is the issue right now.  There's not a guy there that really is a difference maker.  Our DL makes few plays and most of those holes at the point of attack were huge.  Our LB looked HS caliber, could not tackle or move laterally - this position really needs a stud.  Sure, Pedigo and White were out but every team is missing a starter or two by this time of year.  Obviously the secondary was brutal.  I kind of thought early in the year that Siegel was a stud but it never seemed he did a whole lot other than the int return at NAU.  Seemed he got beat just as much as the others.

Think I mentioned it in the NDSU game thread as well - this team just couldn't make big plays when it mattered against teams that were better than us.  Siegel's easy pick six on the first drive of the game, Maag's dropped TD catch, whatever.  Plays that lift your team and say, follow me boys.

Hoping for better next year.  It's not easy.  There's a reason you don't see every team firing their coaches after middling seasons - it's not that simple.  Heck, the gophers seem to be just fine with PJ Fleck and all he does is beat bad teams.  That said, I wouldn't be sad to see Bubba move on as I think it's time but I have a hard time thinking whatever we would get would be a huge upgrade.

• Upvote 3

The portal can be great if it's the right kid, like Hoos.   We need to strengthen the middle of the def.  Our corners will look a whole lot better if we get more pressure on the QB. They have too much time. We are just not getting home from our OLB position like we are used to seeing. To me, a guy like Mcnabo should be an OLB, not a DE. Those are the types of guys we need on the OLB. I think he is getting bigger for D-line and he's had a very good season, but he could have stayed at 240-250, played OLB and be a beast.  Our best defensive players in this type of defense need to be, NG, MLB, OLB, SS.  

Would any of your opinions change if we had hosted the playoff game yesterday and won? Take a look at the record of the home teams yesterday. I believe we win that game at home.. better than 75%. 
I still don’t understand how our run defense became so !@#!$.. 350+ on the ground two weeks in a row.. and they didn’t even run the triple option .. they just bashed it right up the middle.

2 minutes ago, wheelsup said:

Would any of your opinions change if we had hosted the playoff game yesterday and won? Take a look at the record of the home teams yesterday. I believe we win that game at home.. better than 75%. 
I still don’t understand how our run defense became so !@#!$.. 350+ on the ground two weeks in a row.. and they didn’t even run the triple option .. they just bashed it right up the middle.

If we had beat Weber at the Alerus yesterday, and then went to Bozeman and got out to a 24-0 deficit in the same way that we lost to Weber yesterday, I would still be questioning the inconsistency of this team. I would still be asking why this team does not seem ready to play each and every game. I would still wonder why this team seems to play below its potential for long stretches of games consistently. 

And 2 playoff wins in 9 years is still not good enough. 

• Upvote 2

10 hours ago, SlowHand said:

I can 100% guarantee you that Grant would not take a gig at UND.

Pretty sure he would turn down a head coaching position and the opportunity to turn the program around, aren’t you, SlowHand? Well, given UND’s lazy AD and history of inbreeding, it will never happen anyway.

• Like 1