SiouxSports.com Forum

2022 Football Season

Dustin

2 hours ago, Oxbow6 said:

UND has no one on the first team All-conference MVFC team. How is Bo not first team All-MVC for starters?

two of the guys in front of him had more yards and touchdowns in fewer games.  The third guy played two fewer games, but their stats/game were nearly identical.  Maybe voters were giving him credit for doing it on a trash team in Terre Haute.  Who knows.  I'm guessing Bo will sleep just fine.

Total Stats:

image.thumb.png.346a9c5e4c4f5cf2ed21ce61932237f6.png

image.thumb.png.56fedcb871c2a6eafbdb737510269268.png

Conference Only Stats (pretty neat lol):

image.thumb.png.5b12224f7cdbf01b8846876b0dc1aa4d.png

27 minutes ago, JohnboyND7 said:

two of the guys in front of him had more yards and touchdowns in fewer games.  The third guy played two fewer games, but their stats/game were nearly identical.  Maybe voters were giving him credit for doing it on a trash team in Terre Haute.  Who knows.  I'm guessing Bo will sleep just fine.

Total Stats:

image.thumb.png.346a9c5e4c4f5cf2ed21ce61932237f6.png

image.thumb.png.56fedcb871c2a6eafbdb737510269268.png

Conference Only Stats (pretty neat lol):

image.thumb.png.5b12224f7cdbf01b8846876b0dc1aa4d.png

Is it really that black and white???

13 minutes ago, Oxbow6 said:

Is it really that black and white???

I have zero idea what voters consider. I saw your post and figured I'd go look at the numbers on the MVFC website. The conference stat comparison was pretty funny to see though

3 hours ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

Well that should’ve been well known a decade ago coming out of the nickname debacle! Also could’ve hired DeBoer! But here we are, just figuring it out now that we need to win for respect! 

UND can’t go around 0.500 every season and just expect everyone to just kiss their feet.

But Western Illinois can…

• Upvote 4

12 hours ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

Credit to your initial anecdote providing some context to the winemaking theory. That was nice and insightful. There can be more to the story, no doubt, and perhaps Bubba is a championship-caliber coach who just has got a bad break at Duluth and now UND, without the appropriate support. But let’s be honest; that’s wishful thinking and unlikely. 

Your opinion is valued, just like everyone’s is. However, interestingly, your smoke and mirror posts continue to cover up a glowing issue. “Our debates won’t be part of those decisions”. So, you’re saying that our opinions (this forum likely has some of the most loyal fans/alumni on it, but we’re perhaps a bit too outspoken. Well, after all, that’s the point of this forum!) won’t be valued. Perhaps the suit coats at UND should value our opinions. The University of North Dakota is a public institution. Albeit I admit it has to occur via different channels than an online forum, obviously. There are several well-educated folks that support UND that have *chosen* to not pursue athletic department leadership, not the other way around. 

We understand that your opinion is that Bubba has put together a strong staff and Bubba is a strong coach. We understand that he recruits Detroit Lakes and you are satisfied with the recruiting efforts.

I respectfully disagree that he is a “strong coach”. He is an average division I coach. The programs at NDSU and SDSU are currently superior. Change will need to be made for UND to supplant these programs. Again, smoke and mirrors to move the conversation away from coaching is a fine tactic, and your opinion is valued, but I don’t agree with it. From an odds perspective, you are right: UND won’t terminate Bubba. It’s not because it’s wrong to terminate him, but rather that UND’s athletic department is financially conservative and does not want to be a national player in football. They have hockey for that. 

We all will carry on. You have accepted that, and support what you can. That is fine. Others, on this forum, still cling to a pipe dream that one day UND can win another national championship in football. I do as well, and for the time being, will support UND in that quest. But, my opinion is that level of accomplishment will require a change in current football leadership. 

Again, carry on. Happy Holidays. 

My comments about Charles Shaw didn’t include anything about Bubba. I said Bubba put together a strong staff I didn’t say he was a strong coach. I said I thought Bubba and staff had done a good job recruiting. I didn’t say I was satisfied and I didn’t mention Detroit Lakes. In fact I said we need to get better. Bubba doesn’t recruit DL by the way. DL is assigned to one of the assistants. 
There is nothing “ smoke and mirrors “ about my comments regarding that our comments on SS.com won’t be part of the discussion regarding coaching decisions. Bubba just got an extension and they got to the playoffs. Decision makers don’t rely on fan web sites to make decisions. Do any of us have the credentials that would bring us to that table?  
I assume we all want UND to be successful. That means top tier FCS team year in and year out. To me, it also means preparing for an FBS move if that is in our best interest. Until change occurs, then clamoring about changing coaches is fruitless. That isn’t “smoke and mirrors”. I wasn’t happy with this season either but focus now needs to develop and improve the players we have and continue to recruit the best talent available. Our coaches and players need to get better and our fans need to get better. I think we have the nucleus with these players and this staff to improve. Hopefully, we can hang on to our commits and bring in some additional talent to compete at the top FCS level. 

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, iramurphy said:

My comments about Charles Shaw didn’t include anything about Bubba. I said Bubba put together a strong staff I didn’t say he was a strong coach. I said I thought Bubba and staff had done a good job recruiting. I didn’t say I was satisfied and I didn’t mention Detroit Lakes. In fact I said we need to get better. Bubba doesn’t recruit DL by the way. DL is assigned to one of the assistants. 
There is nothing “ smoke and mirrors “ about my comments regarding that our comments on SS.com won’t be part of the discussion regarding coaching decisions. Bubba just got an extension and they got to the playoffs. Decision makers don’t rely on fan web sites to make decisions. Do any of us have the credentials that would bring us to that table?  
I assume we all want UND to be successful. That means top tier FCS team year in and year out. To me, it also means preparing for an FBS move if that is in our best interest. Until change occurs, then clamoring about changing coaches is fruitless. That isn’t “smoke and mirrors”. I wasn’t happy with this season either but focus now needs to develop and improve the players we have and continue to recruit the best talent available. Our coaches and players need to get better and our fans need to get better. I think we have the nucleus with these players and this staff to improve. Hopefully, we can hang on to our commits and bring in some additional talent to compete at the top FCS level. 

If this was Bubba's second or third year I would totally agree with you - however it is his 9th.  He has had ample time to show what he can do - I'm not sure what those with "credentials" see in him that isn't obvious to everyone who follows the program.  After 6 years of Muss and now 9 from Bubba I'm sure you can see why people are frustrated.  

• Upvote 3

Posted for your consideration.

Coach Stiegelmeier's first 7 look familiar.

I trust there MUST have been several SDSU fans unhappy with his team's performance.

And to be clear, I'm not happy with the last 7 years here either. Just not seeking the guillotine yet.

Year Team Overall Conference Standing Bowl/playoffs Coaches# TSN/STATS°
South Dakota State Jackrabbits (North Central Conference[1]) (1997–2003)
1997 South Dakota State 4–6 3–6 T–6th      
1998 South Dakota State 6–5 5–4 5th      
1999 South Dakota State 8–3 6–3 4th      
2000 South Dakota State 6–5 4–5 6th      
2001 South Dakota State 5–6 4–4 T–4th      
2002 South Dakota State 6–4 4–4 T–4th      
2003 South Dakota State 7–4 4–3 T–4th      
South Dakota State Jackrabbits (Great West Conference) (2004–2007)
2004 South Dakota State 6–5 2–3 T–3rd[2]      
2005 South Dakota State 6–5 3–2 T–3rd      
2006 South Dakota State 7–4 3–1 2nd[3]     22
2007 South Dakota State 7–4 4–0 1st   22 19
  • Upvote 1

9 hours ago, iramurphy said:

I think your stance is too complacent, but we can agree to disagree. By the way, Bubba = his staff = his players. It’s all connected. They share the same vision. Bubba hires and manages his staff. Bubba and his staff recruit and develop the players that make-up the roster; they don’t just get assigned to him. 

We can agree to disagree. I think Bubba and his program can continue to produce winning seasons at UND, but it won’t ever be championship caliber. Just too conservative and overwhelmed by big moments/games. I believe there needs to be a change for UND to at least have a chance at championships. For those who think a national search is too “big time”, then Bubba retiring and Freund being elevated is the next best thing. 

Nonetheless, for 2023, there won’t be any changes to scheme or coaches. I agree that for 2023 the players need to improve and they must acquire some better DI players via the transfer portal. Let’s see what happens. Despite what some think, I’ll be supporting UND football throughout. 

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Irish said:

If this was Bubba's second or third year I would totally agree with you - however it is his 9th.  He has had ample time to show what he can do - I'm not sure what those with "credentials" see in him that isn't obvious to everyone who follows the program.  After 6 years of Muss and now 9 from Bubba I'm sure you can see why people are frustrated.  

I can. As I said before, I’m not one of the decision makers. I don’t think there is going to be a change based on the contract and based on a Big Sky and MVFC  championships and this years playoff team. I had higher hopes for this years team as did many of the rest of you.
My expectations are for us to be better next year. We have a good nucleus of RBs, TEs, OL, WRs and 2 returning QBs who have proven they can be effective. These guys all need to continue to get better. We need to improve every position and our depth with our guys we redshirted and any new transfers. We can’t afford to lose any through the portal.

Defensively is a different story. We need help across the board even though we have a handful of guys who have shown they can play. We need to improve our depth in addition to adding starting talent at the obvious positions. Hopefully our new kicker will be as good as advertised. 

The coaches have from now until next fall to move things forward. I will continue to support the program and the coaches hired to get the job done.  I’m just a fan like the rest of you. The fan forum is entertaining and a source of information for me. It should be ok to have different perspectives. 

3 hours ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

Nonetheless, for 2023, there won’t be any changes to scheme or coaches. I agree that for 2023 the players need to improve and they must acquire some better DI players via the transfer portal. Let’s see what happens. Despite what some think, I’ll be supporting UND football throughout. 

Based on what info?
Not saying it is imminent, but I wouldn't be surprised to see a change or two on the assistant front.
Also, while they aren't going to go away from the 3-4, that doesn't mean it won't schematically have some adjustments to it.

• Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

Based on what info?
Not saying it is imminent, but I wouldn't be surprised to see a change or two on the assistant front.
I would while they aren't going to go away from the 3-4, that doesn't mean it won't schematically have some adjustments to it.

Bubba’s end of the season press conference.

Very few changes coming. Bubba was quite taken back by the fact UND fans could be questioning his 3-4 defense and its UND heritage. Basically, he only thinks what needs to improve is “execution” and they need more depth on D-line and secondary. He left out linebackers, which I don’t necessarily agree with.

By saying the magic word “execution”, everyone’s job is safe. 

34 minutes ago, Mama Sue said:

Guys…it is all about money….

scholarships=salaries=media=facilities=now NIL!
Nothing more to say….

Yep.  Tell us a player that we really want and funds are there.  (not crazy funds but enough to sway)  We could start with the portal players that are college ready/proven.  Better players is the quickest fix to all of our problems.  However other schools leak what players to pay, we need that leaker.  Who's the leaker??  Unfortunately, we'll wait 4-5 years and watch other programs take advantage of this and then scratch our heads for a few more years......then get on board when it has no strategic advantage.  

3 minutes ago, gundy1124 said:

Yep.  Tell us a player that we really want and funds are there.  (not crazy funds but enough to sway)  We could start with the portal players that are college ready/proven.  Better players is the quickest fix to all of our problems.  However other schools leak what players to pay, we need that leaker.  Who's the leaker??  Unfortunately, we'll wait 4-5 years and watch other programs take advantage of this and then scratch our heads for a few more years......then get on board when it has no strategic advantage.  

Ouch, but the truth. Does Billy Chaves want to do anything cutting edge? 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Oxbow6 said:

UND has no one on the first team All-conference MVFC team. How is Bo not first team All-MVC for starters?

Because voters are not paying attention. Not sure why Belquist didn’t make it. It is really just a numbers game, but his should have been good enough. If there wasn’t a full back on the team, Lubtke wouldn’t have made it as a RB because his numbers aren’t great, even though if you were going to pick one TB to be on your team it may be him.

There we’re a few voters that posted their votes last year and some, including SDSU’s beat writer Zimmerman did not have Christian Watson on their first team because his numbers weren’t great. They don’t take into account NDSU runs 75% of the time and half the season he had a QB (Patterson) that couldn’t throw the ball. Watson was the best receiver in the conference last year. And Belquist may be the best this year.

1 hour ago, shep said:

Posted for your consideration.

Coach Stiegelmeier's first 7 look familiar.

I trust there MUST have been several SDSU fans unhappy with his team's performance.

And to be clear, I'm not happy with the last 7 years here either. Just not seeking the guillotine yet.

Year Team Overall Conference Standing Bowl/playoffs Coaches# TSN/STATS°
South Dakota State Jackrabbits (North Central Conference[1]) (1997–2003)
1997 South Dakota State 4–6 3–6 T–6th      
1998 South Dakota State 6–5 5–4 5th      
1999 South Dakota State 8–3 6–3 4th      
2000 South Dakota State 6–5 4–5 6th      
2001 South Dakota State 5–6 4–4 T–4th      
2002 South Dakota State 6–4 4–4 T–4th      
2003 South Dakota State 7–4 4–3 T–4th      
South Dakota State Jackrabbits (Great West Conference) (2004–2007)
2004 South Dakota State 6–5 2–3 T–3rd[2]      
2005 South Dakota State 6–5 3–2 T–3rd      
2006 South Dakota State 7–4 3–1 2nd[3]     22
2007 South Dakota State 7–4 4–0 1st   22 19

What was SDSU's record in the 20 years prior to Stig?  Was there ever an expectation for them to be good?  According to wikipedia they only ever made the playoffs once prior to the FCS transition and lost their first game (in 1979).

1 minute ago, Dustin said:

Was there a reported bid that was higher from anyone else?  Montana?

Haven't heard about Montana's, but according to TM, we were higher than NDSU if they had needed a first round bid.  I'd consider that pretty solid/aggressive considering the attendance disparity.