SiouxSports.com Forum

2022 Football Season

Dustin

Off season development needs to be evaluated.  Not every player on our roster only had NSIC offers or is D2 caliber.  If I was to invest in anyone from either of the XDSU’s it wouldn’t be a coach.  

The other thing that needs to be evaluated that has nothing to do with personnel is corporate sponsorship and other ways to get money into these programs.  I’m not going to pretend to know what some of these current sponsors are bringing to the table but there are a few “regional” names throwing money at the other Dakota schools right now at a time we seem to be dragging out Phase II and the off season facilities that potentially help get us to the next level.  

• Upvote 1

I was walking on a treadmill yesterday and listening…so, when there was that questionable call in the first half, why did Bubba not request a review or call a time out? I just don’t understand. The radio announcers (love them) we’re clear it should have been reviewed. I am not criticizing but questioning. 

1 hour ago, Parkers Pros said:

Our best defensive players in this type of defense need to be, NG, MLB, OLB, SS.  

I respectfully disagree. best players need to be edge rushers (OLB) and corner. Also simplify the defense so the safeties can fly around and make plays, not sit there and overthink every damn play.

With great edge rushers and corners, you’ll see a lot of strip sacks and interceptions; forced turnovers win games. There were no turnover producing studs on this year’s defense, and that hurt. The turnover differential was not in UND’s favor. Sure, the offense protected the ball fairly well, but not nearly enough turnovers on defense. That’s a highlighted issue for sure. 

1 hour ago, wheelsup said:

Would any of your opinions change if we had hosted the playoff game yesterday and won? Take a look at the record of the home teams yesterday. I believe we win that game at home.. better than 75%. 
I still don’t understand how our run defense became so !@#!$.. 350+ on the ground two weeks in a row.. and they didn’t even run the triple option .. they just bashed it right up the middle.

Every season will include a road game against a good program, like NDSU or SDSU. UND needs to learn to beat good teams on the road. UND only beat cupcakes this season. 

1 hour ago, MNHawk said:

If we had beat Weber at the Alerus yesterday, and then went to Bozeman and got out to a 24-0 deficit in the same way that we lost to Weber yesterday, I would still be questioning the inconsistency of this team. I would still be asking why this team does not seem ready to play each and every game. I would still wonder why this team seems to play below its potential for long stretches of games consistently. 

And 2 playoff wins in 9 years is still not good enough. 

Where’s this second playoff win? Hypothetical home playoff win against Weber? Not convinced it would happen. Staff pissed their pants with a 24-7 home lead against Richmond in 2016 as the #7 seed.

57 minutes ago, homer said:

Off season development needs to be evaluated.  Not every player on our roster only had NSIC offers or is D2 caliber.  If I was to invest in anyone from either of the XDSU’s it wouldn’t be a coach.  

The other thing that needs to be evaluated that has nothing to do with personnel is corporate sponsorship and other ways to get money into these programs.  I’m not going to pretend to know what some of these current sponsors are bringing to the table but there are a few “regional” names throwing money at the other Dakota schools right now at a time we seem to be dragging out Phase II and the off season facilities that potentially help get us to the next level.  

All players aren’t D2 caliber, but several are. Recruiting needs to improve. But I agree, development and coaching salary needs to get better also. Basically, program needs to look itself in the mirror and stop repeating the same mistakes over and over. 

22 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

Every season will include a road game against a good program, like NDSU or SDSU. UND needs to learn to beat good teams on the road. UND only beat cupcakes this season. 

YSU was not a cupcake. I get that we’re all pissed about this season but let’s at least be accurate.

1 minute ago, geaux_sioux said:

YSU was not a cupcake. I get that we’re all pissed about this season but let’s at least be accurate.

Okay, UND beat a couple average teams, then, not all cupcakes. Beating your chest that UND eeked out a road win against YSU is not a good hill to die on.

I’m not pissed, I’m apathetic at this point. Same ol’, same ol’.

10 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

Okay, UND beat a couple average teams, then, not all cupcakes. Beating your chest that UND eeked out a road win against YSU is not a good hill to die on.

I’m not pissed, I’m apathetic at this point. Same ol’, same ol’.

Nobody is beating their chest, I’m just calling you out for your propensity to blow things out of proportion with a negative slant. YSU on the road was a legit good win. And idk if you’ve seen my other posts but I’m not exactly defending much about this program atm.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

Nobody is beating their chest, I’m just calling you out for your propensity to blow things out of proportion with a negative slant. YSU on the road was a legit good win. And idk if you’ve seen my other posts but I’m not exactly defending much about this program atm.

I agree with that. Not saying you’re beating your chest, just saying I’d trade that YSU win for a win against Nebraska, North Dakota State or South Dakota State in a heartbeat. It was a good win, but not season defining or program changing by any means. It will be quickly forgotten by everyone other than the diehards and the players/coaches on this year’s team. 

On this site, a negative slant is a kind way of saying I disagree with you because you’re highlighting UND football’s shortcomings. Others on here say it more bluntly and crudely, so I actually appreciate “negative slant”. 

• Upvote 1

38 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

See above post. Which FBS team or FCS playoff team did UND beat to post on their resume? 

Bubba’s team was underwhelming in 2022.

We didn’t beat one last year either. In fact I’d argue we’ve lost our last 6 opportunities to have a statement win. 

2020 @JMU

2021 @SDSU

2021 NDSU

2022 SDSU

2022 @NDSU

2022 @Weber

Those are the games where the coaching staff should be earning contract extensions in year 8/9. I know these are tough games, but I’d hope in year 9 we would at least be competitive and winning a third or a quarter of these games. Instead, we’ve shown a complete inability to take the next step as a program and beat these elite teams. 

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

Last two games this year our opponent threw 12 and 11 passes to score 42 and 38 points. What’s that say about the state of our front 7? Now add in how bad our secondary was this year and wrap your head around that. Just brutal.

So, is it scheme, or just not having the talent and bulk to handle above average teams?   We have all known for years what we had to do to be competitive against those teams, especially in the Valley, but it appears there hasn’t been a ton of progress, especially on the defensive line.

1 hour ago, geaux_sioux said:

Last two games this year our opponent threw 12 and 11 passes to score 42 and 38 points. What’s that say about the state of our front 7? Now add in how bad our secondary was this year and wrap your head around that. Just brutal.

Clean piece of paper; no assumptions; no preconditions. 

• Upvote 1