SiouxSports.com Forum

Transfer Portal 2021: It giveth, it taketh away.

The Sicatoka

Just now, gfhockey said:

We need to know why these guys are unhappy

is it bubba

is it the offensive coordinator 

is it d cordinator

whats the deal

I guess I'd be curious how many kids are transferring away from other schools like SDSU, Montana, Southern Illinois, USD etc..  Not sure if our number of transfers is high, or if this is par for the course on transfers for most schools? 

7 minutes ago, Sioux94 said:

I guess I'd be curious how many kids are transferring away from other schools like SDSU, Montana, Southern Illinois, USD etc..  Not sure if our number of transfers is high, or if this is par for the course on transfers for most schools? 

Schools currently in the playoffs won’t see much movement til they’re done id guess. Not a lot of Hergel types

18 minutes ago, Sioux94 said:

If comparing, need to compare who the transfers are.  Guys who have actually played or guys who have not played any meaningful minutes.  A sophomore transferring who has played in a handful of snaps in a handful of games is much different IMO than a sophomore who has played meaningful minutes or even started.

17 minutes ago, Midwestern Hawk said:

If comparing, need to compare who the transfers are.  Guys who have actually played or guys who have not played any meaningful minutes.  A sophomore transferring who has played in a handful of snaps in a handful of games is much different IMO than a sophomore who has played meaningful minutes or even started.

I agree, it’s not so much the number of transfers it’s the quality. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, gfhockey said:

We need to know why these guys are unhappy

is it bubba

is it the offensive coordinator 

is it d cordinator

whats the deal

The team went 5-6 and these kids want more playing time,  but also want to win. Need to do better.

Hilarious considering people don’t want to upgrade to a better coach because they fear transfer exodus; well, turns out losing doesn’t help that either …

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

The team went 5-6. They aren’t good. Kids want to win. Need to do better. Hilarious considering people don’t want to upgrade to a better coach because they fear transfer exodus; well, turns out losing doesn’t help that either …

Or maybe they read this board and have seen we have the worst coaches, worst crowd support/attendance numbers, low expectations,  are a hockey school, and have the worst financial support for any FCS football team and figured they better get out now before the program implodes. 

2 minutes ago, Sioux94 said:

Or maybe they read this board and have seen we have the worst coaches, worst crowd support/attendance numbers, low expectations,  are a hockey school, and have the worst financial support for any FCS football team and figured they better get out now before the program implodes. 

Right, UND football is bad because of SiouxSports fan forum... Thanks for giving me so much influence credit!

Trust me, take a step back, these comments aren’t that influential. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

Right, UND football is bad because of SiouxSports fan forum... Thanks for giving me so much influence credit!

Trust me, take a step back, these comments aren’t that influential. 

Hahaha I was totally kidding man, it was sarcasm.  I think you better take a step back.  

For me, there's two pretty big unknowns. @Sioux94 already asked the question, looking at quality and number of transfers for UND, how is that compared to like schools. Other being, will there be others? Before overreacting, you have to really dissect each portal move. Positional depth, other positional departures (graduation / transfers). There's a finite amount of space on a roster and time a player can play. There's a lot of nuance to this and positional groups vary, but getting the right amount of turnover is key. Balance. 

Do others have that philosophy? Where, you (# varies) by positional group, but you'd rather lose that perfect #, then return everyone? The thought being, balance, you have room to bring in another X amount for the freshman class, the loss of those guys the following year is negated by returning players having more experience, stronger, faster, ect.

So far, I could point to TE / DL transfers with the above philosophy and why those two won't sink those positional groups.