SiouxSports.com Forum

Transfer Portal 2021: It giveth, it taketh away.

The Sicatoka

16 hours ago, AJS said:

If you ask me who I would be most excited for, it would be an All Conference D2 guy. Those are the ones if I was the coaches I would go after hardest. 

THIS RIGHT HERE!!!

FBS Schools are doing it to us...why not move on down the food chain?!?

For the record I've seen our coaches following a fair number of portal athletes on twitter...if a player can help us win...we'd be foolish not to do a deep dive!

With the regular season complete over the weekend in FBS, the portal should be exploding today.  Not that I want a bunch of FBS transfers, but there is talent to be had there that might be a fit (I, like others, appreciate the all conference D2 folks).  I know we're in contact with some potential transfers, but I would like to see help / experience on the OL and in the defensive backfield (safety specifically).  And a burner WR if possible :)

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Hambone said:

With the regular season complete over the weekend in FBS, the portal should be exploding today.  Not that I want a bunch of FBS transfers, but there is talent to be had there that might be a fit (I, like others, appreciate the all conference D2 folks).  I know we're in contact with some potential transfers, but I would like to see help / experience on the OL and in the defensive backfield (safety specifically).  And a burner WR if possible :)

Ya,

and how about giving a call to; 
Ohio State quarterback Jack Miller enters transfer portal

7 minutes ago, AJS said:

@Midwestern Hawk I stand corrected. I clearly don't understand the thought process for some of these, specifically Urwiler / Robertson. It's time to log out until the smoke settles. Who knows how bad this could get. 

Hopefully it won't get much worse, IMO we will know the extent of the losses by next Monday.  Lots of factors likely involved, but the season results can't help.

13 minutes ago, AJS said:

@Midwestern Hawk I stand corrected. I clearly don't understand the thought process for some of these, specifically Urwiler / Robertson. It's time to log out until the smoke settles. This program isn't very fun at this point to get into the weeds with. 

Robertson makes more sense with the depth at that spot. Less so with Nelson leaving though. Urwiler was looking at a ton of playing time next fall. 

8 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

Robertson makes more sense with the depth at that spot. Less so with Nelson leaving though. Urwiler was looking at a ton of playing time next fall. 

i hate to see anyone leave who has played and especially played early in their careers, likely will take a minimum of 6 recruits to replace Robertson, Nelson and Urwiler.  That just sucks.

31 minutes ago, AJS said:

@Midwestern Hawk I stand corrected. I clearly don't understand the thought process for some of these, specifically Urwiler / Robertson. It's time to log out until the smoke settles. This program isn't very fun at this point to get into the weeds with. 

Are these guys disappointed they didn’t play much this season because of the super seniors that returned ? How much does this extra year of eligibility hurt us?

9 minutes ago, Midwestern Hawk said:

i hate to see anyone leave who has played and especially played early in their careers, likely will take a minimum of 6 recruits to replace Robertson, Nelson and Urwiler.  That just sucks.

It’s all your fault! Way to lose us players! Your negative attitude is toxic!

I wonder how many of these transfers are really successful after they leave

we don’t know what is going thru their mind and at this point it is what it is

we play with the players we have

i don’t follow these players until I watch them play, who the hell would want to be a coach with all this going on

i still think there should be some pay back by the athlete or the school that picked them up when they transfer unless they have graduated 

4 minutes ago, Kab said:

i don’t follow these players until I watch them play, who the hell would want to be a coach with all this going on

i still think there should be some pay back by the athlete or the school that picked them up when they transfer unless they have graduated 

Can't imagine the stress level this portal crap adds for them.  Can never ever....feel comfortable with any position group ever.  It could all be wiped out by a bunch of transfers on any given year for a position group.  Right now it is what it is though, and we have to try and be on the positive side of it somehow by getting good transfers in.  But we are going to see good, really good players transfer out now every year. Friggin sucks. 

47 minutes ago, AJS said:

99% chance he moves back home to play with his brother.  Not sure what else would make sense

42 minutes ago, AJS said:

I think many of these kids simply want to play closer to home.  Some will be able to do so, some won't.  

If they are able to transfer to a similar school in IA or IL (closer to home), their parents, friends, girlfriends, etc. will be able to watch them play much easier than driving to GF.  If they are good, kids would prefer to see their names in a newspaper near home than the Herald.  That is just human nature for a lot of kids - they want their relatives and friends to know they are doing well.

I am certainly not saying this is the case with most of the players who enter the portal but it is definitely a factor.  This is the same challenge we have in recruiting in general - GF is a long way from many of the prospects.

1 hour ago, Kab said:

A few of the guys that transferred under Mussman had success. I can’t think of any under Bubba so far.