SiouxSports.com Forum

Transfer Portal 2021: It giveth, it taketh away.

The Sicatoka

3 hours ago, Norhsidepride said:

1.  a top 10 FCS team or an FBS.

UND should be one of these top 10 FCS teams.

On another tangent… Opening the transfer portal, imho, is the Power 5 putting pressure on the NCAA to stop the break-away by those schools. They have enough power in the NCAA to force this onto the smaller schools, G5, FCS, DII and even DIII. This is making the small schools a farm system, like minor league baseball is to the Major Leagues.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, zonadub said:

On another tangent… Opening the transfer portal, imho, is the Power 5 putting pressure on the NCAA to stop the break-away by those schools. They have enough power in the NCAA to force this onto the smaller schools, G5, FCS, DII and even DIII. This is making the small schools a farm system, like minor league baseball is to the Major Leagues.

U’ND should be a top 10 FCS team every year but they don’t have the proper support. As Saban said in video just posted, no one wants to win more than the players, which I believe is true at UND or anywhere for that matter given how much work goes into it, but I don’t think that is true for UND administrators/athletic department employees. At UND, they only want to win more than anything at hockey, and that’s it. As someone said, “it pays the bills”. Right, so if that is the case, should all other sports be shut down? Would minimize expenditures? Of course not! Invest and grow your damn programs. At UND, any big wins for football or basketball is just extra and not an expectation. There isn’t an expectation to be the best at football or basketball around UND. It is what it is and the culture is messed up. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, zonadub said:

Just missing the commitment and the expectations which come with that commitment. 

How hot would the seat be for Entz in Fargo if he had just finished 5-6?  Now layer in that all the MVFC losses were lost by one score or less and most of the losses could be traced back to coaching moves/non-moves.  Entz would be packing his bags.  At UND we tell each other we are "close" and just need a few more players to make up for the coaching brain farts. 

12 minutes ago, Midwestern Hawk said:

Just missing the commitment and the expectations which come with that commitment. 

How hot would the seat be for Entz in Fargo if he had just finished 5-6?  Now layer in that all the MVFC losses were lost by one score or less and most of the losses could be traced back to coaching moves/non-moves.  Entz would be packing his bags.  At UND we tell each other we are "close" and just need a few more players to make up for the coaching brain farts. 

857DD02C-2EAE-4722-B7E9-DB371CCC5701.thumb.png.43fabcae742365af69ba4e9f68ad8856.png

His seat will never be hot

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Midwestern Hawk said:

I would hope Entz seat was hot if they finished 5-6 since he took over a program that was winning a National Championship 4 out of every 5 years.  Meanwhile Bubba took over a program that went 3-8 and wasn't even sniffing being the the playoff discussion.  Doesn't mean I don't think Bubba needs to get some of his crap together on some of the things that happened this year, we have him for two more years that is just reality.  Goofy year or not, he did just come off a MVFC conference co-title and isn't getting fired and contract buyout.  

25 minutes ago, Sioux94 said:

I would hope Entz seat was hot if they finished 5-6 since he took over a program that was winning a National Championship 4 out of every 5 years.  Meanwhile Bubba took over a program that went 3-8 and wasn't even sniffing being the the playoff discussion.  Doesn't mean I don't think Bubba needs to get some of his crap together on some of the things that happened this year, we have him for two more years that is just reality.  Goofy year or not, he did just come off a MVFC conference co-title and isn't getting fired and contract buyout.  

With all due respect, you have proven my point.

8th year in and we finished 5-6 and out of the playoffs.  It fits in with the overall expectations for football at UND.  Each of Bubba's conference championships were followed up with a losing record. 

I know we are not buying out his contract, I just hope we don't sign him to a multi year extension next fall after we finish 6-5 and "just miss" the playoffs or finish 7-4 and lose in the first round of the playoffs.

22 minutes ago, Midwestern Hawk said:

With all due respect, you have proven my point.

8th year in and we finished 5-6 and out of the playoffs.  It fits in with the overall expectations for football at UND.  Each of Bubba's conference championships were followed up with a losing record. 

I know we are not buying out his contract, I just hope we don't sign him to a multi year extension next fall after we finish 6-5 and "just miss" the playoffs or finish 7-4 and lose in the first round of the playoffs.

With all due respect, you just proved my point as well.  But I am with you, and also hope he doesn't get a multi year extension. 

I could go tell you to check my post about Stig's record 8 years in.  But I'm not getting into this whole thing on a weekly basis the entire off season so I can hear about how low my expectations are. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Midwestern Hawk said:

Not sure how we can measure expectations and commitment from the outside looking in. I would guess the expectations were high and from everything I read and heard the players had a great off season in the weight room. I couldn’t care less what the Bison do with Entz. 

• Upvote 3

30 minutes ago, iramurphy said:

Not sure how we can measure expectations and commitment from the outside looking in. I would guess the expectations were high and from everything I read and heard the players had a great off season in the weight room. I couldn’t care less what the Bison do with Entz. 

Well then if the expectations are to be MVFC champion and a perennial top 10 FCS program, substantial changes need to be made.  We finished 5-6.  

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

8 hours ago, Midwestern Hawk said:

Unless you think losing 5 MVFC was just bad luck, absolutely.   Don’t make changes, this team will continue to be 5-6 to 7-4 with the occasional 3-4 win and 8-9 win season.  Is that good enough for you?

That’s not good enough.

What if we finish the season 7-4 next year and lose in the second round of the playoffs ? Clean house and fire everyone or extend Bubba? Seriously ????? 

USD and Missouri St both lost their first round matchups today. That easily could have been us and you still would whine…… and those fan bases better call for a coaching change too! Championships or bust!!!!!

11 minutes ago, Sioux>Bison said:

What if we finish the season 7-4 next year and lose in the second round of the playoffs ? Clean house and fire everyone or extend Bubba? Seriously ????? 

USD and Missouri St both lost their first round matchups today. That easily could have been us and you still would whine…… and those fan bases better call for a coaching change too! Championships or bust!!!!!

Two year extension and not a minute more.  

• Upvote 2

9 hours ago, Sioux>Bison said:

Missouri State is in 2nd year of regime(with 2 playoff appearances), USD is in 6th year of regime(2nd playoff appearance.)   Under your scenario I would agree with Shawn O, 2 year extension(mainly for recruiting), with a message that 7-4 and playoffs is minimum expectation.

Is UND a top 10 FCS program or not?  Is that your expectation?  It is definitely my expectation.