SiouxSports.com Forum

Transfer Portal 2021: It giveth, it taketh away.

The Sicatoka

8 hours ago, gundy1124 said:

My new normal is not giving a crap anymore.  College football is being ruined right in front of us.  Paying players, transfer portals, social justice crap, Covid protocols, can't hit anyone hard.  It's a tragedy of piss poor leadership.

I agree and add the NCAA ruling on “selling” athletes….in many ways, I miss the good old ways!

Talk about an emotionally exhausting situation for coaches. You invest years in a player, develop a relationship with them, become their life advisor and in some cases like a parent and then after a couple of years they walk away from you. And if you are a position coach you think you have finally recruited and developed a solid core group and someone jumps the ship. I can give a pass to some grad transfers, if they have finished their undergrad and UND doesn't offer what they need at the next level. 

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, Old School Guy said:

I'm sorry you feel this way. All the things mentioned, are intended to recognize the student athletes as young men who are being empowered to make critical life decisions, while building leadership skills on an off the filed while embracing the whole person concept that is both aware of self and community responsibility. Recognizing the need for community and player safety is a good thing. A player transferring creates an opportunity for someone that wants to be in Grand Forks. If we get kids with all the attributes mentioned and he helps win games. Its a win-win.

I don’t think I could disagree with you more. this has nothing to do with community, safety, awareness, or anything else. Generally when the NCAA makes rules it comes down to money in some fashion.

Making it so easy for kids to transfer does certainly doesn’t empower critical life decisions, it means they don’t really need to have any responsibility or accountability for the decisions they make. This has been especially true for basketball, where you see kids transferring multiple times. Rather than taking an opportunity and trying to make the best of it; learning, developing, growing ... they can throw that opportunity away because they think they deserve more .... a big problem with these kids anyway entitlement. It’s not doing them any favors in the long run, and certainly not preparing them for real life. It is wrecking college sports in the process.

only thing I can agree with you on, is that it opens up an opportunity for someone else, and hopefully someone else that appreciates it a little more. Not saying there are circumstances where transferring makes sense and should happen, but it has become the all to common route for entitled children who haven’t gotten exactly what they want.

• Upvote 4

3 minutes ago, FSSD said:

First, to Quintin - it was fun watching you develop and preform on the field the last several years.  The best of luck moving forward.  I believe that Quintin did everything that we would expect as fans - he has finished his field of study and has graduated.  He is going to continue his education at another school as many of us did ourselves.  Great job Quintin. 

He was one of my favorite players to watch the last few years.  Hard nosed young man that played to the whistle every snap.  I wish him all the best and if an opportunity doesn’t present itself elsewhere, I would love to have him back.  

1 hour ago, gundy1124 said:

You are not sorry I feel this way.  You simply have a woke superiority complex clouding your judgement.  These new norms are bad for college athletics and people are beginning to not care anymore.

Why shouldn't athletes be able to capitalize on their notoriety for profit?  Why shouldn't athletes be allowed similar freedoms regarding who employs their services that coaches get?  I'm a card carrying conservative North Dakotan...but college football players put their bodies on the line for us for twelve fall Saturdays (and several other days for practice/training)...and for most of us our relationship with the athlete ends on those Saturdays...if they can better themselves in that four or five year period then I don't have a problem with that.  We need to find a way to be the "better option" for athletes at other schools just the same!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

1 minute ago, gundy1124 said:

1.  Because they are not professional athletes yet now college athletes can make anywhere from $0 to over $1 million. (More than some NFL players). 

2.  For many it is the 1st Contract they have signed.  And now that Contract is meaningless.  Employees and Coaches that don't honor their contracts can have very severe consequences.  (Like monetary fines and non-compete clauses!!)

This will fall in the category of "Ending Badly".  Some structure and integrity needs to be inserted back into the equation.

There’s a better answer somewhere in the middle. The Wild West approach never works out long term.

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, UND08 said:

Why shouldn't athletes be able to capitalize on their notoriety for profit?  Why shouldn't athletes be allowed similar freedoms regarding who employs their services that coaches get?  I'm a card carrying conservative North Dakotan...but college football players put their bodies on the line for us for twelve fall Saturdays (and several other days for practice/training)...and for most of us our relationship with the athlete ends on those Saturdays...if they can better themselves in that four or five year period then I don't have a problem with that.  We need to find a way to be the "better option" for athletes at other schools just the same!

Exactly.   This is REALITY.  Some staffs/institutions will navigate this more effectively than others.  I hope my favorite team, the University of North Dakota, is one of them.

• Upvote 1

On 11/24/2021 at 4:58 PM, iramurphy said:

Let’s not equate playing college football with anyone who risks life or health for others. These athletes play for themselves and their teammates. Fans are important to make games an event that brings people together for a good time. Also generates revenue. In return, athletes are compensated with the cost or part of the cost of a college education, free flights, lodging and meals to places all over their region, state or country. TV, radio, media attention and fan attention are some of the perks. A value usually worth around $10,000 to $75,000 per year. With most contracts leaving early can result in penalties and non-compete clauses. If we allow a handful of high profile kids to receive additional compensation, we ignore teammates who work just as hard to make the team and their teammates better. If we are going to support transfers with no restrictions, then the receiving school should have to repay the scholarship unless released by his school. The investment made by a school to evaluate, recruit, coach and train an athlete provide a medical team, tutors etc  is in addition to the cost of a scholarship. We have allowed the media, some lawyers, and activists to move this whole idea to fruition without full consideration and planning. We are moving away from amateur status not only in college sports but with kids playing for club teams/AAU teams etc. 

1 - I never made the connection of equating football players to soldiers/cops/etc...but you're telling me that football players don't put their bodies on the line?  I guess career ending injuries that carry over into life after football NEVER happen...

2 - They get tuition...I get that.  Free flights, lodging and meals are not really a fringe benefit.  When you travel for a job...it's pretty customary that transportation/food/lodging are paid by your employer.

3 - Those poor teammates that don't get the high end NIL deals that work just as hard are learning a valuable life lesson...the cream rises to the top, and the talented people get paid.  If you want to be part of that group...work for it!  And if that's not enough...well sorry life isn't fair.

4 - Regarding the "investment" made by the school...this is no different than any business in the country right now.  Hire an employee, train them...and then they up and leave.  It's the world we live in today...and I don't think we're going back.

People break contracts in the real world all the time.  I'm not saying I like it...but it happens.  Also...I'm pretty sure we aren't giving 4/5 year scholarships...it's a year to year agreement.  The school can yank a kid's scholarship at any time...why shouldn't the kid have similar leverage?  These kids should probably enjoy it now...their new found freedoms may likely kill college football as we know it...but at the same time the whole game seems to be built on who can build the biggest 8-9 figure war chest to pay coaches lavish salaries and build lavish buildings while providing the same benefit to the players that's been provided for decades...which isn't exactly a healthy business model to begin with.  The genie isn't going back in the bottle here folks..."adapt or die" is a way of life.  Bobby Petrino catches a lot of grief for his use of the transfer portal at MSU.  Well the pre-Petrino Bears made the playoffs two times in program history.  They're in for the second year in a row (2 in 3 years) and we are sitting at home.  I don't really care how we get the players we need...but it would sure be nice to be in Grand Forks for a playoff game this weekend!

29 minutes ago, iramurphy said:

1.  You missed my point. They don’t take the risk of injury for “us”.  They do it for themselves and their teammates. The majority of college athletes don’t leave the college game with lifelong disabilities. I would never compare risk of injury vs risking life but I feel saying they “put their bodies on the line for us” is an overstatement of the risks of serious injury when they are playing a game they love and a misunderstanding of who the athletes actually are playing for and our importance on the priority list of us as fans for the athletes.

2. This isn’t the same as a normal full time job.  It is an opportunity to play a game that’s fun and an opportunity for a free or discounted college education. For very few but importantly, it is an opportunity to improve the skills necessary to get a chance to play at the next level an an increased opportunity for exposure to pro scouts. It isn’t a full time job. Practice, meetings/film, weights require more time in season but no where near 8-10 hrs/ day 5 days/wk yr round. That includes NFL players. 

3.  Those “poor teammates “?  Linemen, key backups, special team players?  My point is the skill players or key defensive players who make plays so the so called stars can shine should feel that the QB or RB they do the work for should get monetary benefits for their work in exchange for a valuable life lesson?  I’m not referring to the hardworking 4th teammates. What about the noseguard who takes on the double team every play to keep linemen from getting to the LB’s. This is still a team game. They already get a stipend for spending money. I would rather a system where dollars can go to the program rather than the individual. The so called stars can still endorse products/businesses but money goes to the program/team. I would argue that would be a more valuable life lesson than telling the “lunch pail” guys to learn a “cream rises to the top” lesson. 

4. I’m not opposed to grad transfers or even undergrad “portal” transfers. I just believe the school that loses a player should be compensated for their investment in some manner. 

I get your points, just have different perspective and thus a different opinion. 

1 - Classically speaking...I'm with you here.  That's how I view it as well...but I'm now a believer that many modern athletes don't view things this way.  It may just lead to the downfall of several teams and maybe even the game in general...but it is what it is at this point...and we aren't putting that genie back in the bottle unfortunately.  I will say that maybe the majority of athletes don't leave the game "crippled"...but how many can say that after their college career is over they haven't had a single surgery?  How many can wake up in the morning and not feel a bit of pain that reminds them of their "playing days"?  To me that's putting your body on the line.  My dad did that for 30+ years in his career...he did it for money...the kids do it for a scholarship (and maybe for their teammates and University "pride").

2 - Agree with your take for the most part...but it's a whole lot more demanding than what a non-athlete faces in college.  I get the value of a scholarship...I'd have loved one (I just lacked talent)...because I see the value of an education.  I went to college with a lot of football players at UND who also saw its value, as they were often some of the best students.  But not everyone on a football team feels that way...and I would guess there is a correlation between a student athlete's emphasis level on the word "student" and the probability they enter the transfer portal.  Also...I don't really view flights/meals/lodging as a high end perk.  Sure you might get to fly to Missoula, MT...but you're not sightseeing...it's going on the road to go to work.  You hear coaches use that exact language often.

3 - I 100% agree with your thoughts here...but again this isn't how the world works.  Would Otis Weah be getting sponsorship $$$ if it wasn't for a good OL blocking for him?  Probably not...but sponsors are often pretty dumb here, and will pay the person who can exert influence on potential customers to use that product.  It's not right...and it's not just...and it probably causes locker room issues in lots of places...but the world doesn't always function how it should.

4 - I'm 100% on board with this!  We get used as a glorified JUCO by the FBS schools.  I think the best we can hope for is to maximize our reputation as a place that players WANT to be at...and we should probably look to do the same thing with D2 or other FCS schools that the FBS and upper FCS schools do to us.  Devon Krzanowski has been a nice pickup for us...we can probably find a few more guys like this if we are willing to look.

• Upvote 1