SiouxSports.com Forum

The Yotes

sioux24/7

From yotes game notes.

South Dakota’s defense is statistically better than the one that went to Grand Forks in March. The Coyotes rank 14th in scoring defense, 17th in rushing defense and 21st in total defense. But on that day, North Dakota ran for 249 yards, passed for 240 and outgained USD 489-328. The Fighting Hawks allowed no sacks, had three negative plays and didn’t commit a penalty all game (USD had four for 34 yards). Otis Weah ran 16 times for 163 yards and two touchdowns and the Hawks controlled the ball for more than 35 minutes. It was the first game under Bob Nielson in which the Coyotes didn’t win when holding an opponent to fewer than 27 points. 

Food for thought

More food for thought.

South Dakota’s defense has held opposing running backs to 232 yards on 97 carries and zero touchdowns through five games. Indiana State starter Peterson Kerlegrand ran 11 times for 24 yards last week. North Dakota’s Otis Weah led the Valley in rushing last year with 730 yards and scored at least one touchdown in all seven games. He has run 58 times for 265 yards and three scores in three games this season for an average of 73 yards per game.

2 hours ago, Hockeygirl97 said:

Just realized I had a Bison shirt in a tote of clothes a friend gave us for my daughter...so last weekend is on me... I'll burn it tonight to get it out of the house and we'll be all good for the USD game.  The jinx will be off!!  Deepest apologies, I'll be more careful in the future about what gets in the house!  

Burn it and bury the ashes. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Nodak78 said:

I have been so impressed with special teams.  I would like to see this continue this game.  Pulling for a blocked punt.

Speaking of Special Teams, Peterson has been solid this Fall, no? Up until this point in his career I've always felt UND had no matter who they were playing the worse punter, but so far this Fall I've been pretty impressed. 

Just me or have others seen a real improvement in Peterson?

8 minutes ago, AJS said:

Speaking of Special Teams, Peterson has been solid this Fall, no? Up until this point in his career I've always felt UND had no matter who they were playing the worse punter, but so far this Fall I've been pretty impressed. 

Just me or have others seen a real improvement in Peterson?

Big improvement there and erratic improvement in our kickoffs.  Special teams in general have been very good, IMO.