SiouxSports.com Forum

2021-2022 football season

Nodak78

6 hours ago, AJS said:

HUGE. This was an either/or of Nguon / Tobin away from being a homerun, but you would take this 10/10 times. The ideal number, where you don't leverage the future classes. Before this announcement I had OL / OLB / Safety as potential concerns. You can confidently take OLB off of that list. 

Some overall thoughts now that the roster is taking shape.

• Still not completely comfortable with O-Line / Safety positions to varying levels. You can include D-Line although even minus Devore, I expect them to be better this fall. I'm really looking through this with a critical eye. 
  • Although it hasn't been announced officially, if you look at the playoff 2-Deep, is Devore the only player defensively that won't be returning? 
  • Where is Canady at with his recovery. 

A lot to be excited about heading into the Fall season!

Game Notes for JMU: 

LT - Matt Waletzko Jr / Easton Kilty Fr - I believe he is coming back - need depth.

LG - Tobin Sr / Tervino Fr (Transfer Portal) - Tobin gone, Trevino I assume is gone.  So, we have a major hole at LG.

C - Nguon Sr / Lotysz Fr (hurt in the spring) - Nguon gone, I believe Lotysz will be healthy, wish he got more time in the spring.  But a major hole at C.

RG - Kilty Fr / Fenton Fr - both back - Kilty appeared to look good late in the season.

RT - Ventrelli So / Lavell R-Fr - both back.

My guess is that Fenton/Helgren and Lotysz will be pushing for time in the LG and C spots?  Plus you have - Baba Ghadaksaz, 6'2”, 290, Irvine (Portland St) and I looking forward to seeing more from the following: Elijah Klein, 6'7“, 205, Mandan (Mandan), ND, Marcus Preston, 6'2”, 185, 4.6, Shawnee (Mill Valley), KS and Jack Wright, 6', 180, 4.6, Tulsa (Regent Prep), OK. - PLUS:  Owens (Speed?) from AZ.

Other question on Offense - are Finke, Richter and Gee coming back?  Plus, I am looking forward to seeing - Gaven Ziebarth, 6’, 215, 4.5, Cambridge, 

The entire D two deep is back minus DeVore - that looks salty.  The other D lineman are Thorsness, Lennon, Orlando, Keech - any of those players going to push for time?

Who is going to step up and push the current starters on the Defensive side of the ball?  Looking forward to seeing - Malachi McNeal, 6', 220, Gurnee ( Warren Township), IL

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, FSSD said:

The entire D two deep is back minus DeVore - that looks salty.  The other D lineman are Thorsness, Lennon, Orlando, Keech - any of those players going to push for time?

I would think Orlando would get some reps next year given his size and his presumed athleticism being a state champion wrestler.  Hopefully all of the NG's will be healthy at the end of fall camp so they can rotate and totally get after it when they are in there. 

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, Sioux94 said:

I would think Orlando would get some reps next year given his size and his presumed athleticism being a state champion wrestler.  Hopefully all of the NG's will be healthy at the end of fall camp so they can rotate and totally get after it when they are in there. 

Absolutely, we need an answer for the power running game from JMU and NDSU.

On 6/11/2021 at 6:29 PM, FSSD said:

Game Notes for JMU: 

LT - Matt Waletzko Jr / Easton Kilty Fr - I believe he is coming back - need depth.

LG - Tobin Sr / Tervino Fr (Transfer Portal) - Tobin gone, Trevino I assume is gone.  So, we have a major hole at LG.

C - Nguon Sr / Lotysz Fr (hurt in the spring) - Nguon gone, I believe Lotysz will be healthy, wish he got more time in the spring.  But a major hole at C.

RG - Kilty Fr / Fenton Fr - both back - Kilty appeared to look good late in the season.

RT - Ventrelli So / Lavell R-Fr - both back.

My guess is that Fenton/Helgren and Lotysz will be pushing for time in the LG and C spots?  Plus you have - Baba Ghadaksaz, 6'2”, 290, Irvine (Portland St) and I looking forward to seeing more from the following: Elijah Klein, 6'7“, 205, Mandan (Mandan), ND, Marcus Preston, 6'2”, 185, 4.6, Shawnee (Mill Valley), KS and Jack Wright, 6', 180, 4.6, Tulsa (Regent Prep), OK. - PLUS:  Owens (Speed?) from AZ.

Other question on Offense - are Finke, Richter and Gee coming back?  Plus, I am looking forward to seeing - Gaven Ziebarth, 6’, 215, 4.5, Cambridge, 

Who is going to step up and push the current starters on the Defensive side of the ball?  Looking forward to seeing - Malachi McNeal, 6', 220, Gurnee ( Warren Township), IL

Some notes. Trevino is gone, Helgren was a Senior and will not be returning. Finke and Gee graduated and will not be returning, Richter will be back this Fall. Add Beach to that list. I believe he was injured this Spring or he would have been the #2 NT. 

That offensive line. We feel great with the starting tackles (Waletzko, Ventrelli). Like that Kilty got two playoff starts and held his own. It's almost a necessity that Baba is a guy that can start. There's a lot of hype surrounding that soon to be RS-Freshman O-Line class, but having three starters would be something. If Baba is the real deal, I think you look at Lotysz and Fenton, whoever is more ready starts at that position (Lotysz - Center, Fenton - Guard). Baba shuffles and starts at whichever RS-FR needs more time.

Do we know if the Coaching staff is still actively looking for an O-Line transfer or do they feel good with the group they have?

1 hour ago, GoHawks said:

Thinking maybe the top 4 should be JMU, SHSU, SDSU and NDSU. Excited to see a full year of football. Interested to see how the Montana schools are gonna do with a year off of football.

Montana with be fine -  MSU has a new coach so that could be interesting.  I got JMU, NDSU and SHSU all in a group.  Has SDSU fixed the QB position?

• 3 weeks later...