SiouxSports.com Forum

2021-2022 football season

Nodak78

• 2 weeks later...

Just saw that WDAY TV is going to be the new home of Bison Athletics starting this fall. It looks like UND's current deal with Midco goes through the 21-22 season (correct me if I'm wrong). It seems like this could be a good opportunity to cut a deal with KVLY for football going forward and get on broadcast TV statewide. 

• Upvote 1

UND lags behind in all forms of media.  They still do not have a radio presence in Minot for example.  https://fightinghawks.com/sports/2018/6/7/2048128861.aspx  They never even updated the years on the radio webpage (still states 2019-2020).   UND sports are on radio stations in 11 cities and NDSU is on radio stations in 25 cities. 

10 minutes ago, andtheHomeoftheSIOUX!! said:

UND lags behind in all forms of media.  They still do not have a radio presence in Minot for example.  https://fightinghawks.com/sports/2018/6/7/2048128861.aspx  They never even updated the years on the radio webpage (still states 2019-2020).   UND sports are on radio stations in 11 cities and NDSU is on radio stations in 25 cities. 

Does that mean you can’t listen to UND hockey in Minot either?  

1 hour ago, streetsahead said:

Just saw that WDAY TV is going to be the new home of Bison Athletics starting this fall. It looks like UND's current deal with Midco goes through the 21-22 season (correct me if I'm wrong). It seems like this could be a good opportunity to cut a deal with KVLY for football going forward and get on broadcast TV statewide. 

Have you watched any KVLY broadcasts of NDSU football........... hell no imho! Just read about KVLY on Bisonville and you will know that’s not the direction we need to go..... it would be a huge step back for our sports broadcasts.....

well maybe it would be alright if they brought back Pat Sweeney but that’s it, no deal

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

34 minutes ago, andtheHomeoftheSIOUX!! said:

That is a dam shame not just that UND football is on the air, but how are the hockey broadcasts not a bigger priority.......

4 minutes ago, Sioux>Bison said:

Have you watched any KVLY broadcasts of NDSU football........... hell no imho! Just read about KVLY on Bisonville and you will know that’s not the direction we need to go..... it would be a huge step back for our sports broadcasts.....

well maybe it would be alright if they brought back Pat Sweeney but that’s it, no deal

I have not. Was thinking more in terms of reach but if it's a crappy product that probably not worth it. Midco's production has been good.

6 hours ago, streetsahead said:

I have not. Was thinking more in terms of reach but if it's a crappy product that probably not worth it. Midco's production has been good.

It’s not as bad as western Illinois but not worthy for a top FCS team. Midco blows them out of the water!

Now that games are on ESPN + people really have no excuse for not watching football 

2 hours ago, Sioux>Bison said:

It’s not as bad as western Illinois but not worthy for a top FCS team. Midco blows them out of the water!

Now that games are on ESPN + people really have no excuse for not watching football 

I agree.  However if you are on statewide tv every week, the casual ND person would get exposed to it without having to go search it out.  That is part of the reason the whole state of ND supports NDSU football so much.  Obviously winning is a big part of that, but easy access for games helps and just flipping on tv and it's on.  Not saying I want that though, because Midco broadcast is so much better. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Sioux>Bison said:

I disagree. Although Midcontinent has been a tremendous platform, there is absolutely no question that KVLY would better increase exposure for UND football across the state. In all honesty, exposure via media should be the most important aspect here. Production value means nothing if only limited audiences (people in Grand Forks and Fargo) are watching. To optimize its potential, UND needs to be thinking about exposure to the entire state. 

Lastly, I ain’t going to read !@#$ on bozoville 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Sioux94 said:

I agree.  However if you are on statewide tv every week, the casual ND person would get exposed to it without having to go search it out.  That is part of the reason the whole state of ND supports NDSU football so much.  Obviously winning is a big part of that, but easy access for games helps and just flipping on tv and it's on.  Not saying I want that though, because Midco broadcast is so much better. 

Completely agree.

17 hours ago, Sioux94 said:

I think 8 victories in Frisco has made much more of an impact on the casual fan than being on KVLY.  The fact that Fargo media companies have largely killed the local GF market also can't be underestimated in terms of coverage and attention.

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, nodakvindy said:

I think 8 victories in Frisco has made much more of an impact on the casual fan than being on KVLY.  The fact that Fargo media companies have largely killed the local GF market also can't be underestimated in terms of coverage and attention.

The national championships, P5 victories and high draft choices  have given NDSU a national name brand.  Obviously it’s not in same level as P5 heavyweights, but it’s impressive nonetheless.;

As for UND football and the university, the window is open now. Bubba ad the boys need to step through it, and the success this spring season will be foundational.

• Upvote 2

I'd like to see more promotion in general. Could definitely move a basketball game each year out to Minot or Bismarck to expand local interest. Build in a fan fest type event and maybe a hockey watch party with some former players. 

With South Dakota having no college hockey I think an occasional game in Sioux Falls or Rapid City would also make sense. Maybe play a game against Air Force in Rapid City. Midco is a presence there so why not.  It's a family friendly common man's destination game that can an enhance a trip to the black hills that a lot of folks in Western ND could do.

On 5/15/2021 at 7:24 PM, nodakvindy said:

I'd like to see more promotion in general. Could definitely move a basketball game each year out to Minot or Bismarck to expand local interest. Build in a fan fest type event and maybe a hockey watch party with some former players. 

With South Dakota having no college hockey I think an occasional game in Sioux Falls or Rapid City would also make sense. Maybe play a game against Air Force in Rapid City. Midco is a presence there so why not.  It's a family friendly common man's destination game that can an enhance a trip to the black hills that a lot of folks in Western ND could do.

Having lived in SD for 21 years, I can tell you that most South dakotans' eyes will just glaze over if you mention hockey. I was watching UND hockey in a Vermillion bar one time and someone asked me if UND could defeat the Sioux City Muskies.