SiouxSports.com Forum

2021-2022 football season

Nodak78

On 11/24/2021 at 8:56 PM, UND1983 said:

he was hurt for 12 weeks with a hamstring injury

Lingering hamstring injuries are the worst, really easy to re aggravate those injuries and then you are back to square one. Players also do a balancing act when trying to play with it because you want that quick pop off the line but that’s when the hamstring is the most prone to injury/pain.

Maag was not his true self and I’m sure this is not the way he wanted his last season to go. He got snubbed in preseason picks this year and he has some legit talent. Hopefully he can have a comeback year and show the Valley what he is made of!

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, shep said:

I don't think so based on Sr Night participation or lack thereof

Maybe I just heard or read some people wanted him to stay another.  I know we have a great recruit that punts and kicks but planning for injury and snake bite.  Cade did a great job the last couple years.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Nodak78 said:

Maybe I just heard or read some people wanted him to stay another.  I know we have a great recruit that punts and kicks but planning for injury and snake bite.  Cade did a great job the last couple years.

Not sure.  I thought eligibility was used up.  Came in 2018.  He can play again if he chooses to..

3 hours ago, Nodak78 said:

What he did well was limit punt returns. Maybe the most important statistic for a punter is his net average rather than average yds per punt. Peterson had very good year. Our special teams also did a good job covering punts. 

3 minutes ago, iramurphy said:

What he did well was limit punt returns. Maybe the most important statistic for a punter is his net average rather than average yds per punt. Peterson had very good year. Our special teams also did a good job covering punts. 

Yep.  Peterson was really good.  Lots of height and few returned.

• Upvote 2

On 11/24/2021 at 8:08 AM, Midwestern Hawk said:

Here is the 2-deep from SDSU:  In BOLD are the guys who are gone as of right now, either eligibility is up or portal.  Krzanowksi is coming back as is Maag.  Anyone have any info on Jalen Morrison or Noah Larson?  As of right now the offense comes back almost intact besides Waletzko.

DEFENSE

Defensive End 49 Ben McNaboe 88 Luke Lennon

Nose Tackle 0 Jalen Morrison 52 Chandon Pierre

Defensive End 51 Quintin Seguin 93 Elijah Beach

Outside Linebacker 19 Ty Shannon 34 Josh Navratil

Inside Linebacker 44 Devon Krzanowski 10 Caden White

Inside Linebacker 40 Noah Larson 42 Kason Kelley

Outside Linebacker 15 Jaxson Turner 9 Marcus Vaughn-Jones

Cornerback 6 Evan Holm 22 Caleb Nelson

Safety 17 Hayden Galvin 24 Kadon Kauppinen

Safety 25 Jordan Canady 11 Jayson Coley

Cornerback 3 C.J. Siegel 23 Sam Robertson

OFFENSE

Tight End 39 Adam Zavalney 81 Billy Riviere

Left Tackle 72 Colin Lavell 73 Jack Kuntz

Left Guard 78 Ben Christian 67 Andrew Fenton

Center 68 Babak Ghadaksaz 79 Peyton Lotysz

Right Guard 77 Easton Kilty 67 Andrew Fenton

Right Tackle 74 Donny Ventrelli 75 Sam Hagen

Wide Receiver 89 Garett Maag 1 Bo Belquist

Wide Receiver 1 Bo Belquist 5 Jake Richter

Wide Receiver 12 Marcus Preston 4 Brock Boltmann

Quarterback 2 Tommy Schuster 14 Quincy Vaughn

Running Back 26 Otis Weah 7 Luke Skokna

SPECIALS

Punter 87 Cade Peterson 45 Adam Stage 37 Sean Fenelon

Kicker 92 Brady Stevens 45 Adam Stage 37 Sean Fenelon

Holder 87 Cade Peterson 37 Sean Fenelon

Long Snapper 96 Ross Hinders 32 Dylan Boecker

Kickoff Returners 7 Luke Skokna 6 Evan Holm

Punt Returners 7 Luke Skokna 12 Marcus Preston

Made some corrections. Richter / Boltmann (honored Senior Day) are now bolded. Peterson is not. Other than that, it looks good.

30 minutes ago, AJS said:

Made some corrections. Richter / Boltmann (honored Senior Day) are now bolded. Peterson is not. Other than that, it looks good.

Boltmann isn't coming back, dang that sucks.  After his sophomore year I was looking forward to watching him play two more years.  Out the whole Spring 2020 and seemed to finally start getting back to his old self the last 2-3 games of the season this year.  Was really hoping he would be back.  :sad:

4 minutes ago, Sioux94 said:

Boltmann isn't coming back, dang that sucks.  After his sophomore year I was looking forward to watching him play two more years.  Out the whole Spring 2020 and seemed to finally start getting back to his old self the last 2-3 games of the season this year.  Was really hoping he would be back.  :sad:

I was also really hoping to see him again next year.
Seems like we missed out on what he really could of done for UND?

2 minutes ago, BarnWinterSportsEngelstad said:

I was also really hoping to see him again next year.
Seems like we missed out on what he really could of done for UND?

Yeah we did due to his injury.  Thankfully they switched him to WR and also used him in the Brockstar, it was effective when he was healthy....and he was one of our better straight up WR's in my opinion.  I was looking forward to two more years after his Sophomore season of the Brockstar, but we really got 0 more of that.  He wasn't fully himself the first part of the year, and then seems like we always got a pre-snap penaltly every time they tried it the first half of the year.  Would have really like to have had him as another arrow in the quiver next fall. 

22 minutes ago, Midwestern Hawk said:

Yep.  Unfortunately will be more.

You would think, logically, that players would be entering sooner than later, correct? Why would players be waiting to enter the portal?

Or am I reading your post wrong? Of course there is always a handful of walk ons that won’t be on the roster next year, but that’s the case with every college football team, every year. 

If you’re implying that there will be more ‘Nelson’ type players, we’d be finding that out soon. Or at least that would make the most sense to me.

1 minute ago, sioux24/7 said:

Fall semester ends soon. Would transfers try to enroll at their new school by spring or stick at UND and use the spring to do the recruitment process?

I would think a player would want to transfer as early as possible. That would be announcing and trying to sign, so they could enroll at their new school by spring semester.

The way I’m looking at it is the first wave already came. Season over, end of year discussions between Coaches / Players completed. This is an important week, I could see players talking it over w/ their parents over Thanksgiving. If we don’t hear anything this next week, I’ll feel good moving forward. Not saying it’s impossible for a player or two after that, but to answer @fightingsioux4life not talking walk ons, this wouldn’t just be the beginning. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, sioux24/7 said:

Fall semester ends soon. Would transfers try to enroll at their new school by spring or stick at UND and use the spring to do the recruitment process?

How does scholarship work if student/player leaves at the end of this semester? Likely evaporates, so then:
If they stay in school for next semester, do they still get free ride? + whatever else, even if they don't plan on playing next year at UND?
Is there a date that declaring they will go on to portal that will affect scholarship for spring semester?

2 hours ago, AJS said:

You would think, logically, that players would be entering sooner than later, correct? Why would players be waiting to enter the portal?

Or am I reading your post wrong? Of course there is always a handful of walk ons that won’t be on the roster next year, but that’s the case with every college football team, every year. 

If you’re implying that there will be more ‘Nelson’ type players, we’d be finding that out soon. Or at least that would make the most sense to me.

I think will be in the clear by this time next week as far as the portal, aren’t individual meetings held this week? Also think a couple more may not return for that 6th year thing.

UND opens at Nebraska in the fall. 
https://fightinghawks.com/sports/football/schedule/2022

Nebraska, they won't be coming off giving up 22 unanswered to Iowa to lose 28-21 in their last game, and end at a 3-9 record.

No, Nebraska will be coming back from Ireland and a game against Northwestern
https://huskers.com/sports/football/schedule/2022 

10 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

UND opens at Nebraska in the fall. 
https://fightinghawks.com/sports/football/schedule/2022

Nebraska, they won't be coming off giving up 22 unanswered to Iowa to lose 28-21 in their last game, and end at a 3-9 record.

No, Nebraska will be coming back from Ireland and a game against Northwestern
https://huskers.com/sports/football/schedule/2022 

Sucks we don't have a warm up game before Nebraska, but hopefully they will be a little tired from there trip and be totally overlooking us.  At least we get to play in the friendly confines of Memorial Stadium :D

• 2 weeks later...