SiouxSports.com Forum

Remainder of 2020 Spring Season and Potential Playoffs.

Midwestern Hawk

28 minutes ago, Nodak78 said:

After some thought, I'm satisfied being co-conference Champs, first year in the league.  Provided we made a good bid we will most likely host EWU.  I have a bitter taste from the last time we played them.  Bring them to GF and whip some a$$.

I don't think we have ever beaten Eastern Washington? We owe them a beating!!

1 hour ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

So the more I think about it, the more I believe that even if Youngstown would have ended their season last Sunday giving UND and Missouri St. the chance to play this week, I don't think UND would have wanted to schedule a game against Missouri St this weekend.  At least they shouldn't have wanted to if they wanted to make the playoffs.  Think about it.  After Youngstown pulled the plug on their season (even if it was last Sunday) UND was co conference champions and basically a lock for the playoffs.  Only way that we don't make it is if we lose this weekend.  I'm sure Bubba, the rest of the coaches, and the players would have wanted to play this weekend to knock some rust off before a potential playoff game since we haven' played in a month.  But is all that worth the risk of throwing away a conference championship and a pretty much guaranteed playoff bid?  Probably not.

It sucks that we aren't playing this week and don't get a game to warm up before a potential playoff game.  But It is reassuring knowing that UND is the co Conference Champions of the Valley and will be likely playing a home playoff game on the 24th.  At the beginning of the season there is not one person that would have not taken that.   

Maybe its just me, but I hate sharing.  If I have to share, better to share with only 1 team rather than 2.   I really wish they were playing Missouri St this weekend.  If lose and miss playoffs and conference championship so be it.  Get ready for the fall.  Also going into the playoffs without playing for 5 weeks is going to be tough.  It was bad enough in 2016 having a double bye week before playing.

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, UND Dood said:

I don't think we have ever beaten Eastern Washington? We owe them a beating!!

Yes we do.  Pretty sure most of their fanbase thinks we are cupcakes/paper tigers since most of the games haven't even been very close. 

5 hours ago, geaux_sioux said:

I want no part of EWU. They are a terrible matchup for us. That offense kills our defense.

Seems like we could run the ball on them.  But yes, they've got some good receivers, a great QB, and speed.  I would guess we would have a couple running backs put up over 100 yards and that should keep things interesting... If we play them.  With covid-19, I wonder if the committee will have more in conference games in the first round.  Maybe we see an EWU vs Weber matchup... They haven't played each other this year.

On 4/16/2021 at 1:36 PM, geaux_sioux said:

I want no part of EWU. They are a terrible matchup for us. That offense kills our defense.

Need to be able to trump that narrative, or UND has no business being a top team. Man up, defend the wide outs, and meet at the quarterback. No reason UND can’t defend the pass this year and beat a team like EWU. In year’s past, it was a problem, but UND’s secondary is a strength now. The weakness for UND’s defense is actually their defensive line. Just look at how NDSU scouted that, brought in the big personnel, and stuffed it down UND’s throat. Still hurts to think about how UND let NDSU’s one sided offense have their way. One thing I know for sure is that EWU won’t be able to punish UND with the running game like NDSU did.

• Upvote 3

54 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

Need to be able to trump that narrative, or UND has no business being a top team. Man up, defend the wide outs, and meet at the quarterback. No reason UND can’t defend the pass this year and beat a team like EWU. In year’s past, it was a problem, but UND’s secondary is a strength now. The weakness for UND’s defense is actually their defensive line. Just look at how NDSU scouted that, brought in the big personnel, and stuffed it down UND’s throat. Still hurts to think about how UND let NDSU’s one sided offense have their way. One thing I know for sure is that EWU won’t be able to punish UND with the running game like NDSU did.

It’s not like I don’t agree with you, I just don’t see it from our defense. 

1 hour ago, geaux_sioux said:

It’s not like I don’t agree with you, I just don’t see it from our defense. 

At least with our OL this year, I think our offense could put up some points if we gave up a few. EWU would kind of scare me in a matchup so I agree with you, but we need to get a W against them at some point .

Yep the seeds have been picked.

Craig Haley

@CraigHaley

·

30m

If South Dakota State holds on for win over North Dakota State, I'm thinking committee seeds could be:

1. James Madison

2. South Dakota State

3. Sam Houston

4. Weber State

But I believe Delaware will have the CAA's AQ.

25 minutes ago, Nodak78 said:

Yep the seeds have been picked.

Craig Haley

@CraigHaley

·

30m

If South Dakota State holds on for win over North Dakota State, I'm thinking committee seeds could be:

1. James Madison

2. South Dakota State

3. Sam Houston

4. Weber State

But I believe Delaware will have the CAA's AQ.

Can someone please give me a rational explanation of why SDSU should be seeded above UND ?

They are officially co-champions of the MVFC, both teams have only one loss and UND beat SDSU head-to-head.  

Seeding SDSU above UND makes no sense to me.  Might as well pick teams out of hat then. 

2 minutes ago, rochsioux said:

Can someone please give me a rational explanation of why SDSU should be seeded above UND ?

They are officially co-champions of the MVFC, both teams have only one loss and UND beat SDSU head-to-head.  

Seeding SDSU above UND makes no sense to me.  Might as well pick teams out of hat then. 

I agree.  But UND will not get a seed.  

12 minutes ago, rochsioux said:

SDSU is the autobid. And they just beat the #2 team in the country. 

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

SDSU is the autobid. And they just beat the #2 team in the country. 

Yep, I don’t feel slighted. I think SDSU is probably the best team in the FCS this year since nobody else really stands out.  Let’s just worry about ourselves and actually winning a playoff game. 

• Upvote 1

I copied this from Craig Haley.

KEY DATES TO KNOW

All playoff games prior to the national championship game will be played at campus sites.

Some key dates:

Playoff Selection Show: Sunday (11:30 a.m. ET, ESPNU)

First Round: April 24 weekend

Quarterfinals: May 1 weekend

Semifinals: May 8 (noon ET on ESPN and 8 p.m. ET on ESPN2)

Championship Game (Toyota Stadium, Frisco, Texas): May 16 (2 p.m. ET, ABC)