SiouxSports.com Forum

2021-22 University of North Dakota Hockey Season

Frozen4sioux

5 minutes ago, scpa0305 said:

Agreed...that's why I added "if there's more to it". He could have had a poor attitude and wanted him out.

Just my perception, but I think it’s that they just don’t see him as a top 6 forward on this team and being a draft pick, he’s not going to get anywhere by playing his entire college career on the 4th line. In which case, he should go somewhere that will give him a chance to flourish in a top 6 role. 

16 minutes ago, cberkas said:

Wouldn't be surprised if the 1 time transfer waver becomes permanent

I believe it will become permanent in August.  Then Hockey, FB, M&W BBall and Baseball will all be in line with all the other NCAA Sports that have essentially always had it.  VB, Soccer etc.

If we are to believe Schlossman (and other than Bubs who else is there?) ...

Forwards:

• Portz
  • Schmaltz
  • Ford (BGSU portal) 
  • _______ <- Bowen, Kunz, Constantini (for any of the blanks)? 
  • _______
  • _______ <- slot added because Blaisdell is in the portal; his name may go back in there or not 

Defense:

• Bast, L
  • _______ <- Morrow?
  • _______ <- Johnson? 
  • _______ <- Portal Guy? 

Goaltender:

• Johnson, K
  • _______  <- best guess is Driscoll, then Thome, then Kraws 

18 minutes ago, cberkas said:

Wouldn't be surprised if the 1 time transfer waver becomes permanent

I sure hope not.  The top programs will benefit from this, but I don't want to constantly have one year mercenaries picked off from the lesser programs.  And for the lower level teams, it's gonna stink to be losing your top guys who jump ship to try to play in the NCAA tournament or win a championship.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, WiSioux said:

So what happens to players that go into the transfer portal and aren't picked up anywhere? Players going for their free fifth year probably just don't play but what about underclassmen? Do you just go back to your school?

Not the same obviously, but your post reminded me of this awkwardness...

• Upvote 3

18 minutes ago, franchise said:

I think this is a done deal.  Just have to wait for the news, much like Ford.

10 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

Is it a name from Schlossman's article? (I have my guess.) 

10 minutes ago, siouxforce19 said:

Oh? I haven’t heard anything. I’ll have to do some digging. 

The Forward / Goaltending list was a lot easier to pick out "The big names". Nobody in Schlossman's original article really jumps out at me. Will Cullen was an All-WCHA First-Teamer at BGSU, he might top the list. Are there any D-man in the portal that would be Ford quality gets?

7 minutes ago, Walsh Hall said:

I sure hope not.  The top programs will benefit from this, but I don't want to constantly have one year mercenaries picked off from the lesser programs.  And for the lower level teams, it's gonna stink to be losing your top guys who jump ship to try to play in the NCAA tournament or win a championship.

Free agency in college hockey. 

2 minutes ago, AJS said:

The Forward / Goaltending list was a lot easier to pick out "The big names". Nobody in Schlossman's original article really jumps out at me. Will Cullen was an All-WCHA First-Teamer at BGSU, he might top the list. Are there any D-man in the portal that would be Ford quality gets?

Cullen jumped out too, and then I realized he was the player that received that  4 game suspension for that check from behind on that Mankato player, which made me second guess that. 

The defenseman names Schlossman was willing to print: 

Tim Theocharidis, Bowling Green -- Committed to Arizona State.
Griffin Mendel, Denver
Tommy Miller, Michigan State*
Benton Maass, New Hampshire
Chris Jandric, Alaska Fairbanks
Christian Evers, Vermont

*Of course Schloss mentioned his sister Margot played at UND. ;) 

1 hour ago, Walsh Hall said:

If it does, college hockey will become like every other sport, lacking the sense of fan loyalty and support it enjoys. The players will control what is not theirs, and the continuity will be lost. The only solution will be paid to stay and we know how that will turn out. Quite honestly, the joy and value of the olympics was lost when pros entered the competition as well..

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

Sophomore.
Career line: 51 games, 2-14-16

The opportunity was there.

We've seen this pattern before.
Sophomores like that don't tend to become juniors. 

58 games, 7-8-15 and -15. Can you guess which UND player this was after his sophomore year?

1 hour ago, The Sicatoka said:

If we are to believe Schlossman (and other than Bubs who else is there?) ...

Forwards:

• Portz
  • Schmaltz
  • Ford (BGSU portal) 
  • _______ <- Bowen, Kunz, Constantini (for any of the blanks)? 
  • _______
  • _______ <- slot added because Blaisdell is in the portal; his name may go back in there or not 

Defense:

• Bast, L
  • _______ <- Morrow?
  • _______ <- Johnson? 
  • _______ <- Portal Guy? 

Goaltender:

• Johnson, K
  • _______  <- best guess is Driscoll, then Thome, then Kraws 

It will be Driscoll and Thome will be gone 

• Upvote 1