SiouxSports.com Forum

2021-2022 Season

SWSiouxMN

27 minutes ago, GoHawks said:

This has me worried. I know its a weird year with new rules and such. I was on the fence hiring Sather in the first place but thought anything was better then the Jones mess that we put up with for a long time. Did not like the thought of hiring a D2 coach. If he keeps getting kids like Danielson this team is gonna be in trouble. Sather has a lot of work to do this offseason so lets hope he gets it done or we are gonna be a bottom feeder for years to come in the summit.

I was pretty okay with the Sather hire at the time. The top 1/4 of D2 is every bit as good as the Summit and most mid-major ball. The amount of transfers in the last 2 years in concerning though. Especially when it’s his recruits that are jumping ship and not Jones guys like last year (although I have a feeling most of those guys were shown the door instead of entering the portal on their own).

DAE was a Jones staff recruit.   Again, the other sports in college sports have had the 1 time transfer, no penalty, for some time now. Now, Hockey, Football, Basketballs and Baseball it seems are going to be moving to that model August 1st.  If you ask coaches of other sports, that already live in this world, it’s really no big deal, as it’s always been part of their reality.  Now, because these sports are moving to this, as they are the most visible at most schools, it’s going to seem so foriegn or even shocking to all of us unfamiliar to it. I’m not sure in 3 or 4 years you’ll see it at this level again (could be wrong in this hypothisis) but I personally think it will always be there but not at this level (in regards to numbers)  in a few years, and that’s across the nation.

For some student athletes, they will find that the grass isn’t necessarily greener, and maybe some will.  With this now the norm, to echo what is stated above...it really sucks, when a staff maybe gave a periphery guy a chance, maybe your staff had to do a lot of work just to get the individual admitted (this is a scenario, that can apply anywhere). And then that individual becomes a very solid talent- bigger schools or representatives will be whispering in that persons circle ears.  That will be the reality.  What happens is that you have to continue to recruit the players on your roster. So, recruiting of the individuals within your own locker room continues even while this person has been on campus for years.

But student athletes across the nation in last several years have been trying to crack open a system “they feel” only favors the institution.  This is an area where it appears the walls are starting to coming down, and to us observers it seems crazy.  I’m curious what things will look like in a few years in regards to the college landscape.

If this starts to occur like this small mid major division I schools will be no more than farm system for power 5 conferences and kids that stay at that small mid major will not have the talent to compete against Large schools in NCAA. If this going be the case college basketball is not going to be what it is now and attraction of how small mid major can have tournament run is over. It will be interesting see what happens but Chaves did say there were big changes coming this year yet on NCAA could we be looking like we are in football with whole new subdivision for basketball.

It may not be the coach but it could be Grand Forks the location both of these players are from bigger cities and with covid restrictions in place very little for young people to do here.  My son is from here and he has stated there hasn't been much to do if your young to do. So many things are closed and if not from the area i got to believe you feel your trapped.  I may be wrong but i think this is playing into decisions of these players i feel it too i am getting tired of all the restrictions especially since i have gotten my shots and young people healthy like they are haven't fear virus like of older people have. Enough on this but may not be the coach but just the community i had cousin who's girl looked at attending here from Washington she liked the school, the weather she could deal with, but what city could offer in shopping and socializing and things to do was the reason she didn't enroll. There are more than coaching issues why students stay or leave.

A couple of weeks ago, many of us that follow the program closely were disappointed that we didn’t have any scholarships available. That has certainly changed quickly. 
I have been a Sather supporter - he will have plenty of opportunity to bring in some of “his kind” of talent. We will see how he does!!

8 minutes ago, UND Fan said:

A couple of weeks ago, many of us that follow the program closely were disappointed that we didn’t have any scholarships available. That has certainly changed quickly. 
I have been a Sather supporter - he will have plenty of opportunity to bring in some of “his kind” of talent. We will see how he does!!

3 open spots now correct?

1 hour ago, jdub27 said:

Just curiuos what issues you think the players are having with him. Or more presicely, how is he the problem?

Hey, no great basketball mind here, and, like nearly all SS posters, I have absolutely no insight into coach's relationship with his players. But I think when you have roughly a quarter of your team -- and we're barely into the off-season -- jumping ship, you have to be concerned about the atmosphere and culture of the program. Now maybe UND has recruited an inordinate number of selfish "cancers" to its program, as some here seem so eager to suggest. Maybe it's the lousy weather or meager entertainment options of Grand Forks, or maybe this is just the "new normal" in mid-major basketball today.  I think you at least have to look at your successful peer institutions in answering those questions.

Down at NDAC -- granted, probably 4 degrees warmer on a January day -- I think they've had two players depart in the last couple of years, and clearly they have talent that might find a place at a larger program. I may be wrong, but I don't recall hearing of any players in the transfer portal at USD or SDSU. Maybe the rich culture and exciting night life of Vermillion and Brookings keeps them around?

Again, I don't know the answers, but it appears there's enough evidence  here to at least be asking some serious questions.

2 minutes ago, SooToo said:

Hey, no great basketball mind here, and, like nearly all SS posters, I have absolutely no insight into coach's relationship with his players. But I think when you have roughly a quarter of your team -- and we're barely into the off-season -- jumping ship, you have to be concerned about the atmosphere and culture of the program. Now maybe UND has recruited an inordinate number of selfish "cancers" to its program, as some here seem so eager to suggest. Maybe it's the lousy weather or meager entertainment options of Grand Forks, or maybe this is just the "new normal" in mid-major basketball today.  I think you at least have to look at your successful peer institutions in answering those questions.

Down at NDAC -- granted, probably 4 degrees warmer on a January day -- I think they've had two players depart in the last couple of years, and clearly they have talent that might find a place at a larger program. I may be wrong, but I don't recall hearing of any players in the transfer portal at USD or SDSU. Maybe the rich culture and exciting night life of Vermillion and Brookings keeps them around?

Again, I don't know the answers, but it appears there's enough evidence  here to at least be asking some serious questions.

Didn't NDSU just lose 4 guys?

According to verbal commits (https://verbalcommits.com/schools/north-dakota) UND stands now with 3 commits, 4 open spots, and one open offer. If this is correct then UND could sign four more players before next year. This is going to make for interesting off season to start filling these positions.

Obviously this era of the transfer portal is different, and in my opinion, hurts low-major and mid-major division I basketball. With that being said, UND needs to take advantage of the transfer portal themselves and recruit transfers. In this new era, if UND relies solely on high school prospects, I don’t see how they can be successful. All their good high school recruits will just leave after a year or two, so UND needs to be recruiting transfers from the portal themselves. 

• Upvote 2

My opinion going into this off season for any school was if your roster looked the same starting next year you weren’t taking advantage of what is out there for you.  I didn’t want to lose the PG but the others will be replaced with what’s available and hopefully better.  

• Upvote 1