2021-2022 Season

SWSiouxMN

So the players left on the team are

Sueker

G

Danielson

Igbanugo

Nero

4 on scholarship, 1 walk on.   We don't know about Panoam so I'm not including him.

Incoming recruits

Bruns

McGrath

Grant* (still hasn't signed his LOI but I would guess he would soon)

That would leave 6 open scholarships spots as of right now.  Unless any of those players decide to return. 

6 minutes ago, SWSiouxMN said:

So the players left on the team are

Sueker

G

Danielson

Igbanugo

Nero

4 on scholarship, 1 walk on.   We don't know about Panoam so I'm not including him.

Incoming recruits

Bruns

McGrath

Grant* (still hasn't signed his LOI but I would guess he would soon)

That would leave 6 open scholarships spots as of right now.  Unless any of those players decide to return. 

Any chance at some dropdowns or some Juco adds? That's a lot of spots to fill.

1 hour ago, siouxfan512 said:

Any chance at some dropdowns or some Juco adds? That's a lot of spots to fill.

I would say it would be likely the staff goes this direction to fill most of those spots, but adding 1/2 more HS players wouldn't be a bad idea.  

I hope there is a decision made on Panoam soon so that can be resolved one way or the other.  Obviously if he comes back, that would take up one of the spots.   

This might be a hot take on my part, but give one of the scholarships to Igbanugo.  He's earned it. 

• Upvote 1

47 minutes ago, SWSiouxMN said:

I would say it would be likely the staff goes this direction to fill most of those spots, but adding 1/2 more HS players wouldn't be a bad idea.  

I hope there is a decision made on Panoam soon so that can be resolved one way or the other.  Obviously if he comes back, that would take up one of the spots.   

This might be a hot take on my part, but give one of the scholarships to Igbanugo.  He's earned it. 

He's as good as most of the scholly guys we had this year, IMO.  Played every game and averaged 27.2 minutes a game.  No question he earned it, especially with half the team leaving.

1 hour ago, Hambone said:

He would be a good person to pair with Sueker on the inside and would be a true 5 that wouldn't get pushed around size wise.  Plus, that would give McGrath time to develop and come off the bench if they want to go that route. Always liked his game when he was at Hopkins the few times I saw him play. The only thing I am concern about is the very, very, very little playing time he got at Wisconsin.  

2 hours ago, FightingSioux87 said:

I heard Bentui might be coming back now that Ihenacho and others are entering the portal. Hope this is true!

If you told me a year ago that I would be hoping that Panoam would be coming back, that would have been crazy... but here we are. 

I hope he does. 

So how is this going to work for small mid major schools when you take a risk on developing talent and soon as he is developed he leaves the program. It will pretty much small mid major programs will be just farm team for major colleges. Its going to pretty much end of the dream for the  small school having chance of advancing in the NCAA tournament.  Will this lead to sub division in basketball like it is in football.

16 hours ago, ND-fan said:

So how is this going to work for small mid major schools when you take a risk on developing talent and soon as he is developed he leaves the program. It will pretty much small mid major programs will be just farm team for major colleges. Its going to pretty much end of the dream for the  small school having chance of advancing in the NCAA tournament.  Will this lead to sub division in basketball like it is in football.

They will raid D2 and take their top players.  They will take the players from high majors and turn them into great players.  There still will be players that stay for multiple years and will be developed. 

The golden goose isn't going to be killed.  Good coaches will adapt and figure it out.  Plus, imagine how many players will now have chips on their shoulders and want to prove those high majors that they missed out. 

All this transfer stuff has taken some/most of the fun out of being a fan - at least for me. Talk about living in the moment/year. Do coaches even care about developing players into a future year? How do coaches develop their culture when the rug gets pulled?

I don’t know. This all seems like professional sports. 

On 3/23/2021 at 8:41 PM, sioux24/7 said:

I know it’s very easy to look at Northern State and wonder if anyone that hits the transfer portal will end up here. I am doubting Parker Fox is much of an option but I think Mason Stark could be a possibility. Good shooter, somethings that’s needed.

Stark ends up at NAU, going home.

I thought the article that Grand Forks Herald had Rebraca was good and explained his reason for his transfer. It also showed he was using his basketball talent to get max amount of education he could get. The sad part is you hate to loose individuals like him from your team because that is type of player everyone is looking for. I am happy for him and appreciate the effort time he spent here in North Dakota. Also i believe him that coach Sather has been good coach but times are changing with how players are more now in control of their college careers in the past. Like I have said in other posts there are number of reasons were having players transfer and each player have their reasons which we may never know. The transfer process is much easier than in past and with no waiting period to play players can move freely and has no effect on their basketball career or there time spent in college. It just made it much more difficult for mid majors and coaches to build programs but its going to be in the future.