SiouxSports.com Forum

2021-2022 Season

SWSiouxMN

3 hours ago, ND-fan said:

It may not be the coach but it could be Grand Forks the location both of these players are from bigger cities and with covid restrictions in place very little for young people to do here.  My son is from here and he has stated there hasn't been much to do if your young to do. So many things are closed and if not from the area i got to believe you feel your trapped.  I may be wrong but i think this is playing into decisions of these players i feel it too i am getting tired of all the restrictions especially since i have gotten my shots and young people healthy like they are haven't fear virus like of older people have. Enough on this but may not be the coach but just the community i had cousin who's girl looked at attending here from Washington she liked the school, the weather she could deal with, but what city could offer in shopping and socializing and things to do was the reason she didn't enroll. There are more than coaching issues why students stay or leave.

So it sounds like UND has nothing to offer.  We seem to get players from all over in hockey and some of them stay even after they get great offers to play pro hockey.  I don’t buy that location is the biggest problem.  

1 minute ago, tnt said:

So it sounds like UND has nothing to offer.  We seem to get players from all over in hockey and some of them stay even after they get great offers to play pro hockey.  I don’t buy that location is the biggest problem.  

You are a smart man! Und has plenty to offer. We never had this many transfers before this.

Desean posted this on his twitter account a few weeks ago.  Any insight on what it means?  Is there more turmoil in the locker room then we know? What did he mean subbed on twitter by coach?  I never seen anything from Coach Sather on twitter about him.  

My physical health was being neglected and so was I as a player-person. I left and was being subbed on twitter by the coach! I can’t keep quiet no more though! I’m happy and progressing. Sometimes in life your right trust yourself and be able to identify the bad things in life

8 minutes ago, NewUndFan said:

Desean posted this on his twitter account a few weeks ago.  Any insight on what it means?  Is there more turmoil in the locker room then we know? What did he mean subbed on twitter by coach?  I never seen anything from Coach Sather on twitter about him.  

My physical health was being neglected and so was I as a player-person. I left and was being subbed on twitter by the coach! I can’t keep quiet no more though! I’m happy and progressing. Sometimes in life your right trust yourself and be able to identify the bad things in life

Best of luck to his new school.

15 minutes ago, NewUndFan said:

Looks like to me from the tweet and the players leaving there is a problem up too somewhere

14 minutes ago, NewUndFan said:

Do you think it was a typo and he meant "snubbed" on twitter by the coach? His heart was never in it at UND, as evidenced by his initial de-comittment.  Some guys don't do well within a system that requires discipline and accountability when they are used to having everyone around them tell them how great they are.  

18 minutes ago, NewUndFan said:

I have no idea. I didn’t see anything either 

1 minute ago, CMSioux said:

Do you think it was a typo and he meant "snubbed" on twitter by the coach? His heart was never in it at UND, as evidenced by his initial de-comittment.  Some guys don't do well within a system that requires discipline and accountability when they are used to having everyone around them tell them how great they are.  

It might be a typo, but even snubbed on twitter wouldnt make sense.  Snubbed on twitter?  I agree with that Desean never really lived up to his potential while he was here.  I had alot of hope for him after the first year, but this year he looked to timid and wasnt a asset on the defensive end. 

12 minutes ago, Siouxfan1989 said:

I fear there will be more in the upcoming days but we will see. Anymore starters though and I think all eyes go to Sather. I’m beginning to doubt he will be here longer than his first contract.

Still waiting to hear some details on why you think Sather is a problem. You also seem to have no issue with a player who basically quit on him before coming back and then quitting in the middle of the year. All things I've heard of Sather have been positive, I'd like to hear some objectivity on what makes him a problem like you've stated or indirectly inferred multiple times. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, UND1983 said:

You really don't like Sather do you?  What the issue?

No problem! I don’t even know the guy. Just casually observing and commenting on a program and a coach and what I see. I see everyone so quick to turn on the players but virtually no one saying anything about the leadership. Although the players very well could be a problem too. I’m more playing devils advocate and putting ideas out there.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

Still waiting to hear some details on why you think Sather is a problem. You also seem to have no issue with a player who basically quit on him before coming back and then quitting in the middle of the year. All things I've heard of Sather have been positive, I'd like to hear some objectivity on what makes him a problem like you've stated or indirectly inferred multiple times. 

Why do you think the players are the problem? I feel like it could go either way? I do feel like some of them could be problems I do feel like the coach could be the problem we will never really know though. One thing we do know is that this has been one tough week. And before that a very average (or less than average) year. We must ask why? Right?

1 hour ago, petey23 said:

What is normal as far as transfers in college hoops these days? They are expecting a total of about 1500 in the transfer portal this year....that works out to about 4 per team on average.

I saw on Verbals that this time last year, there was 439 players that were in the portal.

Right now... it is 839.  As Zach Dosch noted below

3 minutes ago, SWSiouxMN said:

I saw on Verbals that this time last year, there was 439 players that were in the portal.

Right now... it is 839.  As Zach Dosch noted below

Many of the players entering the transfer Portal are playing music chairs.  Some will not find chairs.  Last year was a good year for players in the portal.  This year will be a great year for the portal.

1 hour ago, NewUndFan said:

How many teams, Schools has DeSean has he played for since HS.  Not a stable position.  It's about DeSean and not the team.  I wish him the best but UND will have a better team player in the portal.

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Nodak78 said:

Many of the players entering the transfer Portal are playing music chairs.  Some will not find chairs.  Last year was a good year for players in the portal.  This year will be a great year for the portal.

Next year I’m betting on Portal University making a big run in the tournament.  

There is no room for coaching blaming with kids entering the transfer portal in my opinion. It is what it is. It's simply a sign of the times. The school the the South that almost beat a team that is currently in the Sweet 16 also has 5 players in the portal. There are numerous other schools in the same boat as well. I agree it isn't ideal, but the NCAA knew this is what it would turn into and we as fans need to understand this is the new reality.