SiouxSports.com Forum

GDT USD vs UND. 3/4/21

SiouxFan100

4 minutes ago, Dustin said:

I think that’s an awesome plan even if he would be ready to go the week before. Go for the kill in Fargo. 

I'm excited to see him back, I'm just wondering when the Brockstar does come back, who does he step in for? Obviously not Maag. Richter? Belquist? Preston? Even Cochran played well today. It's a DEEP receiver corps, maybe the deepest ever, since the only senior is the grad transfer Richter

1 hour ago, Hardcore Hawk said:

I'm not sure it can be overstated how good Freund is at play calling and play design. Still no sacks through three games, and it's all due to moving the line of scrimmage, getting guys open for Tommy early, and getting creative at the right times. We're finally have a modern offense with guys who can run it. 

Cha-Ching! Winner Winner here!

Freund has put a ton of effort and ingenuity into this offense. That along with the promising young talent UND has recruited all looks to be leading to a bright future. 

• Upvote 2

The best part is it still doesn’t feel like we are even close to have peaked. Lots more steps on the ladder!

I am very happy with quarterback play.  That being said, he must continue to elevate his game. Cause the next few teams are going to stack the box and make him beat them and not allow Otis, Luke and Dalton to beat them. He has to hit the passes he is supposed to hit. And he has to hit some vertical down field passes to keep the secondary honest! I do believe he can do it!

• Upvote 2

15 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

Tommy "Gun" Schuster is the real deal. He is a winner. 

Wins state championship in high school in Michigan. Wins Michigan Player of the Year. Plays as a true freshman for UND against Sam Houston State (ranked opponent) and wins. Now during his first year as the full time starter for UND he has UND 3-0 in the MVFC with a top 5 team ranking. Is this all coincidence? I think not. 

All you quarterback coaches out there need to step back, stop examining the trees, and just look at/appreciate the forest. Tommy Schuster is a winning quarterback with the intangibles. He's leading UND football to big things. 

As I said before, Danny Freund as OC/QB coach has been tremendous also. 

I think you can be critical and appreciative at the same time. I'll agree that Tommy probably gives us the best chance of winning, just based on his high football IQ and ability to avoid costly mistakes. However, if UND wants to go deep into the playoffs, he does have to be better than these first three games.

To add to it, however, I'd still argue that a complete game by the offense hasn't been played yet. Maag misread or was bodied off a couple of deep balls, and Skokna wasn't nearly as active as typical offensively. We're bulding though, and if things keep progressing, I think UND hits a stride offensively right as we get to March 20th. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Stockdamhockey said:

You always have to be the biggest jerk on here. What qualifies you for anything other than being spoiled jackass from Carrington who Daddy put through optometry school. Grow up.

I think you missed the purple font ;)

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Parkers Pros said:

The best part is it still doesn’t feel like we are even close to have peaked. Lots more steps on the ladder!

I am very happy with quarterback play.  That being said, he must continue to elevate his game. Cause the next few teams are going to stack the box and make him beat them and not allow Otis, Luke and Dalton to beat them. He has to hit the passes he is supposed to hit. And he has to hit some vertical down field passes to keep the secondary honest! I do believe he can do it!

I was thinking that same thing after this game and Otis busting out for 160 and almost 250 rushing as a team.  Teams are likely to start crowding the box a bit more, Tommy needs to keep making a lot of the throws he's making and hopefully start hitting a couple more vertical routes.  He did have some pretty nice throws tonight though. I remember one cross the field towards the sidelines and he put it perfectly in place for a first down, and the coverage was pretty good.  He has really good pocket presence.  0 sacks is a combination of great OL play and him having great presence and getting rid of it when needed. 

Danny is continuing to be on fire calling plays.  I knew eventually he was going to go over the top with Vaughn in there in a running type situation, he was waiting for the perfect spot to do it...and he nailed it.  We have run the flea flicker so many times though, it's no surprise and usually the deep guy is double covered.  Maybe he is setting up some other play out of the flea flicker for later in the year....not sure.  

I agree, save Boltmann for the NDSU game, make sure he is fully healthy for one.  But also to give a new wrinkle against them. Boltmann on sprint out option with Skokna would be fun to see. 

13 hours ago, BarnWinterSportsEngelstad said:

4 sacks.

12 hours ago, Siouxperman8 said:

Sack City made an appearance in our house.  

Sack City 4 sacks pic cropped .jpg

11 hours ago, coltssiouxfan said:

Did you make that or is that the official Sack City Sign?

This is Siouxperman8 's.
Official as it gets, just wasn't at the crime scene.
I'll let the author expound?

• Upvote 2

The Sioux didn’t get the breaks this game like last week. The other team recovered the fumble in the end zone this time and grabbed a interception close to the end zone. What looked like a sure touchdown was negated by a mere inch or two, and a completed pass was called incomplete on a third down throw. 
one series the defense looked bad. 
a bit concerned about throwing deep 

Considering the above and the fact that at the end of the game there was no doubt who the best team was, I am very satisfied with the team I saw last night  

• Upvote 2

7 hours ago, Wildfan said:

We had one chop block on 3rd down late that was declined that USD declined as they knew UND would punt even though they were at like the 35. 

Oh that's right.  But still pretty impressive.  Don't think they declined any other penalties did they?  Still pretty good.

8 hours ago, Hardcore Hawk said:

I think you can be critical and appreciative at the same time. I'll agree that Tommy probably gives us the best chance of winning, just based on his high football IQ and ability to avoid costly mistakes. However, if UND wants to go deep into the playoffs, he does have to be better than these first three games.

To add to it, however, I'd still argue that a complete game by the offense hasn't been played yet. Maag misread or was bodied off a couple of deep balls, and Skokna wasn't nearly as active as typical offensively. We're bulding though, and if things keep progressing, I think UND hits a stride offensively right as we get to March 20th. 

That's an important sentence. The vertical passing game hasn't clicked, yet. It also won't be his bread and butter, but to me he's shown adequate arm strength, most throws are just a little off. He's also in just his 4th game as a Redshirt Freshman. Reps / Experience are so important right now for him.

With the mix of experience / youth on Offense, it's exciting times for UND. 

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, siouxfan512 said:

I was hoping Vaughn would be the starter, purely because of size and strength, but Tommy has gotten the job done. I would still like to see a little more of what Quincy can do,  but Tommy is doing just fine and will only get better. Needs to make a few more of those throw, but for a young kid, he is VERY promising.

What I see is what I'd heard: Tommy has the weaker arm and is a little more accurate; he'll struggle deep. Quincy has the big arm but struggles with accuracy.

Tommy missed two potential big hits deep. Quincy's TD pass was a floater "run to" by the receiver (and the ball quacked on the way). 

All that said, this was game 3 for the combo at the top of the QB charts. 

10 hours ago, Parkers Pros said:

I think it is also worth putting out there, Tommy may look like he misses on quite a few deep passes, but he is also attempting more than I think we have seen in recent years. He has connected on a few down the field; I think it was last week he dropped a dime to Maag running down the right side of the field. I think Freund is more confident taking deep shots this year, because IF Tommy misses, it is usually in a way that nobody can get it (though there have been a few close calls), and there is more confidence that if we miss deep on 2nd and long, we will still be able to get the 3rd down, which seems to be getting better every game.

All of that being said, if Tommy can increase the number of connections on those deep balls, Otis and Co. are going to start finding a lot more room to run.