SiouxSports.com Forum

GDT USD vs UND. 3/4/21

SiouxFan100

5 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

What I see is what I'd heard: Tommy has the weaker arm and is a little more accurate; he'll struggle deep. Quincy has the big arm but struggles with accuracy.

Tommy missed two potential big hits deep. Quincy's TD pass was a floater "run to" by the receiver (and the ball quacked on the way). 

All that said, this was game 3 for the combo at the top of the QB charts. 

It would be nice to see just one game this year where we could put the team away by half time, give Quincy the second half and even get Reid Neal on the field a bit. Game time experience is so valuable to the development of depth.

When Boltman comes back the "trickeration" stuff, like:
- Tommy wandering off and reading the wrist card
- Quincy's TD play roll out jump pass
might end up being Boltman. 

Better? Another receiving threat in traffic in the middle. (That third down play to the TE was when I knew what the outcome would be.) 

Just now, siouxfan512 said:

It would be nice to see just one game this year where we could put the team away by half time, give Quincy the second half and even get Reid Neal on the field a bit. Game time experience is so valuable to the development of depth.

My dream was scoring before half and then to start the third. 

I got my dream, but it was delayed by one drive (both scores to start third). But up 18 with 22 minutes to go looked really good. 

12 minutes ago, sioux24/7 said:

One thing that has been awesome about this team is seeing the receiver depth. It seems like a new one is stepping up each week to make some big plays and they’re all underclassmen. 

Young WRs looked really impressive last night.  Crazy thing to think about is Jack Wright is still there coming off injury and will be in the mix next year, with everyone else.  

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, homer said:

Young WRs looked really impressive last night.  Crazy thing to think about is Jack Wright is still there coming off injury and will be in the mix next year, with everyone else.  

Lots of potential at the WR position for UND in the upcoming years that's for sure! Plus 3 more years of Otis Ball! LFG

45 minutes ago, sioux24/7 said:

One thing that has been awesome about this team is seeing the receiver depth. It seems like a new one is stepping up each week to make some big plays and they’re all underclassmen. 

32 minutes ago, homer said:

Wright's full bio at Fighting Hawks.com still makes the hair on my neck stand up as to what's to come. And two more coming in this fall who don't look to shabby.

Wright: One of the best wide receivers in the history of high school football … A four-year letterwinner for Regent Prep … Finished with the most receiving yards in the state of Oklahoma in 2016, 2017, and 2019 ... Earned district player of the year honors in 2018 … Named a finalist for offensive player of the year by the Tulsa World … Finished his career with 276 catches for 6,227 yards and 112 touchdowns … The 112 touchdowns are a national record for receiving.

• Upvote 2

I think our linebackers have been the highlight of the defense so far. With depth a little shaky on the DL, the backers have stepped up big time. Larson is a stud, and Krzanowski was such a huge get, he's been fantastic. Haas and Navratil have been great in run support and Turner has been awesome rushing the QB. I'm loving this group. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

4 hours ago, BarnWinterSportsEngelstad said:

This is Siouxperman8 's.
Official as it gets, just wasn't at the crime scene.
I'll let the author expound?

There was a sack city sign years ago in the DII era and I loved it.   At tailgating a few years ago a guy told me he had done the original one but it was long gone.

It inspired me to make my own so I enlisted my wife to help me.  She thought I was crazy but after a short trip to the craft/fabric store we made it.  I had an old picture of the original and tried to match the lettering as best as I could. 

We hang it behind the visitors bench but sit on the other side so we enlist the students sitting by it to run the thing during games.  Last year we had to move it down closer to the band because there were a group of students that hung over the railing and pounded on it while harrassing the visitors.  They must have pregamed pretty hard because they were lit up for every game.  I fully endorse the work that they were doing but it was a little hard on the sign and the paper numbers.  I figure it just added some character to it. :)

We live in the TC and won't be at any games this spring but will be back in full force next fall.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, homer said:

Probably a little greedy but if we had a next level speed guy at WR that would be huge.  Probably haven't had since Clive George.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, siouxfan512 said:

Now this is just plain greedy.  I think the ship has sailed on Neal, especially with Feeney coming in.

6 minutes ago, gundy1124 said:

Now this is just plain greedy.  I think the ship has sailed on Neal, especially with Feeney coming in.

probably, but it would still be nice to see some of the other back ups get some playing time. Certainly need to get Quincy on the field a bit more if possible. I thought he could have had the 4th quarter against SIU, but it was probably more important to get Tommy some good reps that early in the season.

haha, I'm ok with being a little greedy. I was just looking back at some scores and schedules from my freshman year of college (03), we expected that team to win every week they were out there. It is fun to start seeing those expectations work their way back. This is a good team, and there is a lot of youth. Bright future here!

I had plenty of doubts about Bubba, mainly in how he hired, but he has certainly made some improvements there. We don't have this team if Rudy is still on the staff. Kostich has certainly done a nice job of proving people wrong too. The team just needs to keep doing what they are doing. From play calling, to recruiting, to lifting ... everything seems to be trending in the right direction, not just for winning, but for sustainability. Sustainability is key .... I want to see UND as a perennial power, not a team that is good for a year and then falls to the back of the pack for a few years. Wow, I am greedy.

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, The Sicatoka said:

When Boltman comes back the "trickeration" stuff, like:
- Tommy wandering off and reading the wrist card
- Quincy's TD play roll out jump pass
might end up being Boltman. 

Better? Another receiving threat in traffic in the middle. (That third down play to the TE was when I knew what the outcome would be.) 

How great was that play call!!  Didn't work, but have you ever seen a play call like that EVER at UND?  Danny Freund is going to give Valley D Coordinators headaches all season long!!  

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

How great was that play call!!  Didn't work, but have you ever seen a play call lie that EVER at UND?  Danny Freund is going to give Valley D Coordinators headaches all season long!!  

right! I would love to know what else he has in his play book, and I'd be ok with seeing that one again, especially when Brock is back.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, sioux24/7 said:

So... my first game and I am writing down numbers of players carrying snd receiving to look up info later... after the first quarter I am like... how many guys running that ball are so very qualified snd versatile?   Granted, this is a mother’s impression..Guys around me are screaming Otis’ name... I decided I needed to make him chocolate chip cookies!!

so so happy to see all of this

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, gundy1124 said:

Probably a little greedy but if we had a next level speed guy at WR that would be huge.  Probably haven't had since Clive George.

I don’t disagree.  It was there last night with USD really crowding up to the LOS.  

1 hour ago, Siouxperman8 said:

There was a sack city sign years ago in the DII era and I loved it.   At tailgating a few years ago a guy told me he had done the original one but it was long gone.

It inspired me to make my own so I enlisted my wife to help me.  She thought I was crazy but after a short trip to the craft/fabric store we made it.  I had an old picture of the original and tried to match the lettering as best as I could. 

We hang it behind the visitors bench but sit on the other side so we enlist the students sitting by it to run the thing during games.  Last year we had to move it down closer to the band because there were a group of students that hung over the railing and pounded on it while harrassing the visitors.  They must have pregamed pretty hard because they were lit up for every game.  I fully endorse the work that they were doing but it was a little hard on the sign and the paper numbers.  I figure it just added some character to it. :)

We live in the TC and won't be at any games this spring but will be back in full force next fall.

Great story - thanks for sharing and what you do, many fans love the Sack City sign. TV cameras find a way of giving it's credit due. Thanks again. Hope to C U tailgating in the fall!

• Upvote 3

47 minutes ago, Hardcore Hawk said:

I think our linebackers have been the highlight of the defense so far. With depth a little shaky on the DL, the backers have stepped up big time. Larson is a stud, and Krzanowski was such a huge get, he's been fantastic. Haas and Navratil have been great in run support and Turner has been awesome rushing the QB. I'm loving this group. 

Completely agree with this thought.  LB play has been outstanding.  Love Turners ability to get to the passer on the edge and Larson has literally run over RB's getting pressure the last two weeks.  Depth on D has been a big factor too.  Lots of guys playing throughout game keeping the starters fairly fresh for the 4th Qtr.  So far love what Holinka has brought to the D.

15 hours ago, Oxbow6 said:

You know what those who know FB call Tommy..........a winner.

11 hours ago, zonadub said:

I think you missed the purple font ;)

Takes too much for some to read the dialogue in a thread to understand what's going on.

2 hours ago, BarnWinterSportsEngelstad said:

Great story - thanks for sharing and what you do, many fans love the Sack City sign. TV cameras find a way of giving it's credit due. Thanks again. Hope to C U tailgating in the fall!

Hope so too.  
Somehow it’s become Sickies Sack City at the Alerus.  Still waiting for a free burger and beer or two. 

• Upvote 2