SiouxSports.com Forum

Pod style game 2-Denver

Wilbur

Coming off an early win over a team that needed a good goaltending performance to keep it close, we now jump up to the #4 team in the nation, who lost to Duluth late in the game last night with Duluth playing the night before.

I'd like to see more from the top line.  They had their moments, but I expected them to dominate a bit more than they did.

3-1 UND, with another steady performance from Scheel.  

• Upvote 2

I thought the top line looked rusty, but definitely had three or four shifts where they looked like they did last season. 

Sanderson may be the best freshman skater I've ever seen and may be the best skater on this team, already. So incredibly agile. 

Gaber was so much fun last night. If he's here four years, he'll finish as a UND legend. 

Gotta role with Scheeler on a shutty. DU will play a little angry after losing a game they should have won, but I believe we're better.

4-2 UND

1 hour ago, stoneySIOUX said:

I thought the top line looked rusty, but definitely had three or four shifts where they looked like they did last season. 

Sanderson may be the best freshman skater I've ever seen and may be the best skater on this team, already. So incredibly agile. 

Gaber was so much fun last night. If he's here four years, he'll finish as a UND legend. 

Gotta role with Scheeler on a shutty. DU will play a little angry after losing a game they should have won, but I believe we're better.

4-2 UND

Game they should have won yes but to quote my dad after many 3-1 or 2-1 loses, you only score once and let the other team hang around that’s the problem. 

23 minutes ago, Oxbow6 said:

Like to see Thome tomorrow. 

Caufield with Pinto and Gaber.

Move Hain back with Senden.

Kleven impressed me.

I could play with Pinto and Gaber and those two would have success.

Gaber would have to play on his off wing because I'm a right hand shot too, but he's probably better catching passes and shooting on his backhand coming up the left side than I am on my forehand.

1 hour ago, Benny Baker said:

Sanderson misses the first full Omaha series, too.  So that's 9 games minimum.  If Sanderson's a one-and-done, do we even see him in a UND jersey more than 20-25 times?

It is a concern, but for a D-man (regardless how good) to leave after one year is an anomaly.  Ottawa would have to be concerned that he would not be developing to have that happen.  Now after next year, very likely.  They have too many young D-men in their system to push him into the lineup.  He is going to be very good, but I think he will benefit from Poolman to develop some more muscle to be even better on the defensive side.  I think Ottawa is well aware and will keep a watchful eye on him and not rush him.

46 minutes ago, KSSioux said:

It is a concern, but for a D-man (regardless how good) to leave after one year is an anomaly.  Ottawa would have to be concerned that he would not be developing to have that happen.  Now after next year, very likely.  They have too many young D-men in their system to push him into the lineup.  He is going to be very good, but I think he will benefit from Poolman to develop some more muscle to be even better on the defensive side.  I think Ottawa is well aware and will keep a watchful eye on him and not rush him.

Agreed. 
Plus, much like when Toews came here, age-wise he's still technically a high school senior this year. 

23 hours ago, Oxbow6 said:

Like to see Thome tomorrow. 

Caufield with Pinto and Gaber.

Move Hain back with Senden.

Kleven impressed me.

Think you will see Thome, as I think they set it up this way because Thome has played well against Denver in the past. 

17 hours ago, Benny Baker said:

Sanderson misses the first full Omaha series, too.  So that's 9 games minimum.  If Sanderson's a one-and-done, do we even see him in a UND jersey more than 20-25 times?

I guess we need to lose out of the NCAA tourney in heartbreaking fashion (like we have never done that), to motivate the youngsters to come back. :lol:

jk, lets hang another banner.

On 12/3/2020 at 8:35 AM, Wilbur said:

Coming off an early win over a team that needed a good goaltending performance to keep it close, we now jump up to the #4 team in the nation, who lost to Duluth late in the game last night with Duluth playing the night before.

I'd like to see more from the top line.  They had their moments, but I expected them to dominate a bit more than they did.

3-1 UND, with another steady performance from Scheel.  

What time does the puck drop today?

1 hour ago, Wilbur said:

I don't think there is a wrong decision as to who gets the net tonight.

IMHO I think Scheel should be the guy tonight with how he looked on Weds.  

Thome very capable guy too as we all know.  

It will be interesting to see if they stay with a philosophy that normally works in rolling with a hot guy, or if they already have a plan to get each guy the maximum amount of rest to keep the team fresh through the whole POD.  Guess time will tell.