SiouxSports.com Forum

2020-2021 Season

SWSiouxMN

17 minutes ago, FlinFlan80 said:

I like how Sather carries himself and I know it's early in his time here at UND, but it does look questionable as to whether or not we have much in the current system that will be able to compete in the Summit. After Rebraca, what else is there?

Ihenacho is a nice piece. Way Too soon to say anything about Bergan or Shockey right now.

G is either really good or really not so good.  Brady is Brady

I’m excited for the Bruns kids next year, don’t know much about the big from Wisconsin.

I guess this as no surprise because DAE was not original recruit of Sather's and watching game Friday I could see he was disappointed in not more playing time. I also think he will be looking for teams that have more offensive structure that Jones had. I truly think Sather is going to have hard time recruiting in the future that top end offensive player with style of basketball he wants to play. Like I mentioned before the number of minutes they are giving Danielson I think may have been contributing factor in DAE decision. Danielson plays little better defense but you look at his offense and other aspects of the game are not in DAE capabilities and DAE needs playing time you can see the frustration build and his ego of sitting on the bench was not going to last long. I worry same thing may be happening with Sueker i have seen drop in his playing time recently too and i believe they were room mates .  This is never good thing to happening in the middle of season player turmoil. Its always challenge when you're trying to build player  depth and in UND case most of these players have about same number of years of eligibility left its not where you have upperclassman ahead of you getting some extra playing time. 

14 minutes ago, ND-fan said:

I guess this as no surprise because DAE was not original recruit of Sather's and watching game Friday I could see he was disappointed in not more playing time. I also think he will be looking for teams that have more offensive structure that Jones had. I truly think Sather is going to have hard time recruiting in the future that top end offensive player with style of basketball he wants to play. Like I mentioned before the number of minutes they are giving Danielson I think may have been contributing factor in DAE decision. Danielson plays little better defense but you look at his offense and other aspects of the game are not in DAE capabilities and DAE needs playing time you can see the frustration build and his ego of sitting on the bench was not going to last long. I worry same thing may be happening with Sueker i have seen drop in his playing time recently too and i believe they were room mates .  This is never good thing to happening in the middle of season player turmoil. Its always challenge when you're trying to build player  depth and in UND case most of these players have about same number of years of eligibility left its not where you have upperclassman ahead of you getting some extra playing time. 

I think we have zero to worry about in Sueker.  I would be shocked to find out otherwise. 

2 hours ago, FlinFlan80 said:

Sueker isn't going anywhere. I am probably wrong, but Sueker hasn't exactly been a game changer out there......

He has been okay so far. Had some moments in either direction.  The one thing I am surprised by is his 3 point shooting isn't match up with what he did at the D2 level.  I think he will be better towards the 2nd half of conference play.  Keep getting him to the free throw line, he has done well there.  

30 minutes ago, Siouxfan1989 said:

We lost one of the best players I’ve seen come to the school it’s time to start questioning sather if you ask me...

That's a very big stretch or you haven't watched much UND BB, but good luck to him wherever he lands.

• Upvote 1

Interesting move by him, given his injury and production so far this year... what type of program will pick him up on scholly?  I was also under the impression that his lack of playing time was due to his injury, though.  Hopefully this will be like the guy at UMKC who ended up staying with the team.  

We lost a player who at the minimum was probably going to give us 15 & 5 over the next 3 years. Now I don’t think his skill set matches up with being a true number one option offensively but he’s a pretty good 2nd or 3rd option. If we really lost him because the coach favored someone who would struggle to score 20 points over the conference season then I think the coach should at least be questioned 

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, GoodGood said:

We lost a player who at the minimum was probably going to give us 15 & 5 over the next 3 years. Now I don’t think his skill set matches up with being a true number one option offensively but he’s a pretty good 2nd or 3rd option. If we really lost him because the coach favored someone who would struggle to score 20 points over the conference season then I think the coach should at least be questioned 

Lol...we got "new guy" who just joined to say that.  

You're right, it's the staff's fault.  They have a team that routine scores 50-60 pts per game but yah.... they purposely benched their 2nd best scorer at no fault of his own.

8 minutes ago, UND1983 said:

Lol...we got "new guy" who just joined to say that.  

You're right, it's the staff's fault.  They have a team that routine scores 50-60 pts per game but yah.... they purposely benched their 2nd best scorer at no fault of his own.

I get it, you think I know DAE. I don’t. I’ve been a season ticket holder since Huff, Anderson, Webb freshman year. I just don’t like the direction the program is heading. I don’t see much d1 talent on this roster and we just lost one of the only guys who could at least produce at this level. It could be DAE fault for all I know

1 hour ago, GoodGood said:

You know he was injured, right?

44 minutes ago, ZDosch said:

It's not necessarily about finding the best players, it's about finding and playing the right players. Even if you have some talent but you aren't bought in to what the team is trying to do, you are constantly a problem, and you aren't self aware about what you have to improve upon, you will fail quickly.

This paragraph resonates with me big time. I think this is exactly what Sather is doing and what good, consistent mid-major programs do. They create cultures which I think Sather is trying to build and something that lacked in the Jones era. We all know there was talented players with Jones but I don’t think they always bought into a culture. 

• Upvote 2

57 minutes ago, ZDosch said:

I think you guys are being too harsh on Sather's ability to put together a roster. I think we can all admit the roster situation was much worse than we first suspected when Sather took over and his only offseason was in the middle of a pandemic where kids couldn't take official visits. Bringing in Ihenacho, who will be a VERY good player sooner rather than later, Seuker who is a good big with range which is very rare, Sims who is one of the most versatile defenders in the league and can be trusted to knock down threes, and Nero who has given them decent minutes at times and has 3 years of eligibility left is incredibly impressive if you ask me. The only program who had their roster churn more this offseason was Western Illinois. 

Look at what Sather did in his previous stops. It takes 2-3 years to work out the kids that aren't buying in and bring in foundational players. After that happens, the program starts to improve by leaps and bounds. 

It's not necessarily about finding the best players, it's about finding and playing the right players. Even if you have some talent but you aren't bought in to what the team is trying to do, you are constantly a problem, and you aren't self aware about what you have to improve upon, you will fail quickly.

UND could be in a nice situation this off season. They will have some scholarships available and most teams won't be able to take transfers because they won't have any players exhausting their eligibility. UND will have less competition for the the coveted grad transfers and even regular transfers if the one time transfer with immediate eligibility is finally approved. 

That also means that it could be a really risky year to transfer...

Excellent analysis.  Sather will be a great coach for UND.

I haven't said he can't be successful and can develop good program to compete in the Summit and be contender to win the conference. He almost did it last year he was one game away from the dance. The question is in my mind is how high level of player can he recruit in the future with style of game he wants to play which is successful in winning the conference but to move to next level in the competition which means to think about winning opening round game in NCAA tournament it takes  having that next higher level player that can kick it up gear when they are challenged. I believe Jones was able to recruit couple of players like that in latter time here at UND. We saw it Marlon Stewart, Quinton Hooker, Geno Crandall, and we may see it in Rebraca before he is done.  I was just looking back the first three were all on the team and one time.  Sather recruits so far the one that may reach this next level is  Ihenacho  his other recruits fill basic needs that fill in to be good balanced team. Sather has used the Jones recruits quite well since he has come here. Even this team is still heavy dependent on Jones Recruits Rebraca, Igbanugo, Urbonavicius, and Panoam  if you look at last weekend action these players accounted for a lot minutes playing time.  DAE had been figured  in also until he got hurt and seen limited playing time now coming back. So far Sathers recruits that have seen playing time have been Sueker  and Sims both transfers and has been mention Ihenacho but his other recruits we haven't seen much of. Yes if DAE leaves it does free up roster and scholarship space but this team we have is young with only one senior on the team and one  of other Sather recruits that has left the program. The one thing i keep looking at Sather has been winner where ever he has been at and I think he's going to adapt so i keep thinking he may adapt his game to next level to be able to move on to the next level in coaching. It will be interesting who he recruits next after this year because those recruits will be the future for UND in the following year and year after. 

12 hours ago, ZDosch said:

It's not necessarily about finding the best players, it's about finding and playing the right players. Even if you have some talent but you aren't bought in to what the team is trying to do, ... 

That needed repeating.