SiouxSports.com Forum

2020-2021 Season

SWSiouxMN

On 1/17/2021 at 5:16 PM, sioux24/7 said:

If you guys thought DAE’s list was funny including Cincy, you should see Carlos Ramsey’s.....

DAE is in the record books at this school and reports new schools reaching out to him daily via his twitter. Don’t see a school on there he can’t play at personally

15 hours ago, SWSiouxMN said:

Good for him.  Hope he plays well there. 

Saw this and decided to check on how all the former players from last season are doing.

Moody is averaging 6.5 ppg on 46% FG and 39% 3FG in about 16 minutes at Southern Utah. I believe he has missed several games as well.

Neither Marko or Davids are seeing much playing time at Sioux Falls and Mary, respectively.

Cant find anything on Saddler.

Hazekamp is averaging 12 ppg and 6 rpg at Truman State (very good top 10 ranked d2 team) in 29 minutes. Shooting 56% FG and 50% (23-46) from 3. Also 19-20 from the line.

And then Ramsey is going the JUCO route as mentioned above. 

I think that’s all of them, did I miss anyone?

5 hours ago, UNDFan2577 said:

Saw this and decided to check on how all the former players from last season are doing.

Moody is averaging 6.5 ppg on 46% FG and 39% 3FG in about 16 minutes at Southern Utah. I believe he has missed several games as well.

Neither Marko or Davids are seeing much playing time at Sioux Falls and Mary, respectively.

Cant find anything on Saddler.

Hazekamp is averaging 12 ppg and 6 rpg at Truman State (very good top 10 ranked d2 team) in 29 minutes. Shooting 56% FG and 50% (23-46) from 3. Also 19-20 from the line.

And then Ramsey is going the JUCO route as mentioned above. 

I think that’s all of them, did I miss anyone?

I was curious myself on how everyone who had left has done.  I couldn't find anything on Saddler either.

Carter Brooks averaged 11 points and 5 rebounds in the WIAC last season.  (he's at Wisconsin-Eau Claire)

• Upvote 1

On 1/26/2021 at 5:22 PM, SWSiouxMN said:

So.  We have reached the halfway point of the conference season.

What are some thoughts on how the season has gone so far, at least in the conference side of things?  What are your expectations in the 2nd half?

3-5 is probably close to the best that could have been expected. Think we should have swept UMKC so 4-4 would look a lot better but our schedule is looking a lot easier on the back half. If things go right we should end conference play a few games above .500. 

Inconsistency has been a big factor in not having a better record in the Summit.  I think the line up changes has helped the team speed.  Because of the changes and players becoming more familiar with each other and the Summit I'm optimistic.  I think we will end up 3 or 4 in conference standing.

If we sweep the Yotes I believe we will be 3rd place, split we will be 4th place.

1 hour ago, Nodak78 said:

Inconsistency has been a big factor in not having a better record in the Summit.  I think the line up changes has helped the team speed.  Because of the changes and players becoming more familiar with each other and the Summit I'm optimistic.  I think we will end up 3 or 4 in conference standing.

If we sweep the Yotes I believe we will be 3rd place, split we will be 4th place.

I see SDSU, ORU, NDSU as better than UND.  USD and UND are close, might give USD a slight advantage.  So, I see UND fighting for 4 or 5.  I have them in this place simply because of absolute lack of shooting.  This is a poor shooting team.

2 hours ago, FSSD said:

I see SDSU, ORU, NDSU as better than UND.  USD and UND are close, might give USD a slight advantage.  So, I see UND fighting for 4 or 5.  I have them in this place simply because of absolute lack of shooting.  This is a poor shooting team.

UND split with ORU on the road.  UND beat the Yotes on a neutral court.  Poor shooting so far this season.  I think the rotation is better the last couple of weeks.  To be 3,4 or 5th UND has to be consistent.  UND could fold and end up 6 or 7th but I don't think so.

A sweep this weekend would put UND in position i would believe to no lower than 6 in conference and that would be assuming we lost rest or our games. I think were going to end up either 4 or 5 depending on how we do against South Dakota but this weekend a sweep would put us in position to go as high as 3 in the conference.

57 minutes ago, ND-fan said:

A sweep this weekend would put UND in position i would believe to no lower than 6 in conference and that would be assuming we lost rest or our games. I think were going to end up either 4 or 5 depending on how we do against South Dakota but this weekend a sweep would put us in position to go as high as 3 in the conference.

Kind of what I said.

• 2 weeks later...

A nice article on Panoam in the Herald today.  He's the kind of kid you want to have on your team.  Glad he's finally get an opportunity and taking advantage of it.

https://www.grandforksherald.com/sports/basketball/6878403-From-the-sand-dunes-of-Anchorage-Bentiu-Panoam-uses-Alaskan-roots-to-find-success-in-UNDs-starting-lineup

Mount Bentiu, as in Bentiu Panoam, the UND senior guard whose workouts in his hometown are the stuff of legend.

"I'll never forget, I'm calling him to check up and it's raining one summer," said Drussell, the head boys basketball coach at Panoam's Bartlett High School. "He said I'm going to the dunes. I thought he was lying, so I'm going to go over there and see, and from where we live -- Anchorage is a big city -- took about 25 minutes to get out there. No lie, he had his family's white Hummer in the parking lot and there's Bentiu running up the sand dunes in the pouring rain.

"His work ethic is second to none. I got spoiled coaching him because I was under the impression everyone would have the same demeanor and work ethic. I'm realizing that's a once-in-a-generation kid."

On 2/11/2021 at 10:21 AM, dmksioux said:

A nice article on Panoam in the Herald today.  He's the kind of kid you want to have on your team.  Glad he's finally get an opportunity and taking advantage of it.

https://www.grandforksherald.com/sports/basketball/6878403-From-the-sand-dunes-of-Anchorage-Bentiu-Panoam-uses-Alaskan-roots-to-find-success-in-UNDs-starting-lineup

Was a great read, well done.

No one would have blamed him if he decided to leave after Jones left or after Sather's first year, but he stuck around, he worked his butt off in practice, stayed ready and when his moment came, he made the most of it.  

I wish there were more who had that mentality instilled in them. 

This weekend will really help shake some stuff out.  However, if you had to pick our first tournament opponent between the dakota schools and ORU, who would you pick?

ORU- Abmas and Obanor

USD- Plitzuweit and Umode

SU's- both pretty balanced, though does appear SDSU's Freidel might sit remainder of season. 

2 hours ago, SkoHawks said:

This weekend will really help shake some stuff out.  However, if you had to pick our first tournament opponent between the dakota schools and ORU, who would you pick?

ORU- Abmas and Obanor

USD- Plitzuweit and Umode

SU's- both pretty balanced, though does appear SDSU's Freidel might sit remainder of season. 

My order

ORU, USD, NDSU, SDSU.

My guess on finishing order would be NDSU, USD, ORU, SDSU, UND, KC, WILL, and Denver based on last couple weeks of what's happen in the league. Reasons SDSU is not the team everyone expected and they have to go on road to beat NDSU short handed. USD i think are going to come up game short because i look at their opponents hard to not have 500 finish even if they play well, NDSU is at home and is rested for SDSU and I just think they will split with USD. UND I think sweeps at Omaha which i think will pretty much lock them in fourth spot but they could split to on the road moving them to 6. KC hard to guess them but i just feel they will split their remaining games, West ILL.  will have good finishing record but not enough to catch UND or KC. Denver gets in as the 8 th seed. For got ORU if they split USD and W. ILL games probably won't mean much in seeding i think if other things happen with other teams. Now watch how this all gets blown up in next two weeks.  My thoughts are nobody going to like to play UND or W. ILL if your seeded higher come the tournament time both teams are playing at different level than their record indicate. NDSU has been most consistent team from beginning to end of the season. ORU can beat anyone in the conference but i don't think they can put 3 straight games together. SDSU is unknown factor because loss of Friedel and irregular season and if they play UND first i wouldn't want to play them again and try to beat them 4 times in season and the long winning streak they have against UND i just think law of averages say it might be UND time win a game against them. USD may make to championship game but i doubt it wins the tournament. West. ILL could be real sleeper of team if were betting and given good odds they might be high gamble and high risk but could win alot of money.