SiouxSports.com Forum

2020-2021 Season

SWSiouxMN

I do too but this is not easy draw by any means and this lay off i don't think is any positive way to head in the tournament. I was hoping that South Dakota would win today but that didn't happen and i could see them making early exit now without there point guard. I guess will have to see what happens but i wouldn't bet farm that they make to championship game and especially this year never know which team shows up. 

7 hours ago, ND-fan said:

I do too but this is not easy draw by any means and this lay off i don't think is any positive way to head in the tournament. I was hoping that South Dakota would win today but that didn't happen and i could see them making early exit now without there point guard. I guess will have to see what happens but i wouldn't bet farm that they make to championship game and especially this year never know which team shows up. 

True, but ORU, while talented and dangerous, is a winnable matchup.  SDSU in the semis will also be a tough go as Wilson is rounding into his old self again. (They aren’t losing to Omaha, no way no how.)  NDSU does not have a fun matchup with KC and their style.   USD could get upset in round 1 vs WIU but they still have Umude, who can carry them to the title.  The AJ injury really changed the dynamic for several teams.

The season ends at 9-17 and 8-8 in the conference and a first round exit.

Time to ask a couple of questions.  I'll give my answers in due time but wanted to get others imput:  With everything that has gone down, how do you think the season went for UND?

Thoughts on Sather after his 2nd year and the direction of the program?

*The 2021-22 thread will be started in earnest tomorrow at some point.  

13 hours ago, SWSiouxMN said:

The season ends at 9-17 and 8-8 in the conference and a first round exit.

Time to ask a couple of questions.  I'll give my answers in due time but wanted to get others imput:  With everything that has gone down, how do you think the season went for UND?

Thoughts on Sather after his 2nd year and the direction of the program?

*The 2021-22 thread will be started in earnest tomorrow at some point.  

I would have to say this season has been a bit of a disappointment, especially with how the season ended. Albeit, when you have that many new players on a team, it takes time to gel and learn to play as a unit. This team will be better next year as it's another year under Sather and the coaching staff. I think this coaching staff are setting up UND for the future and hopefully we see them in more conference championships soon!

3 hours ago, FightingSioux87 said:

I would have to say this season has been a bit of a disappointment, especially with how the season ended. Albeit, when you have that many new players on a team, it takes time to gel and learn to play as a unit. This team will be better next year as it's another year under Sather and the coaching staff. I think this coaching staff are setting up UND for the future and hopefully we see them in more conference championships soon!

This is pretty much my thoughts spot on. A little adversity early on in the season losing DAE but I think the team kind of took off after that. Hard to say they were for sure better without him but it lead to others stepping up a bit. Very disappointing to be the team to give Denver its only conference win and then Omaha too (besides Denver). 

Everyone back for 2021-22 except for Panoam, right?  How about players coming in?  I don't follow basketball recruiting very well.  If we were a 5 seed this year, I think we should be able to wear the home jersey (i.e. higher seed) when we play a Summit League quarterfinal game next year.

20 minutes ago, Dustin said:

Everyone back for 2021-22 except for Panoam, right?  How about players coming in?  I don't follow basketball recruiting very well.  If we were a 5 seed this year, I think we should be able to wear the home jersey (i.e. higher seed) when we play a Summit League quarterfinal game next year.

Paul Bruns a 6’4” scoring guard from SD appears to be the big get. Also have Gavin McGrath a 6’10 center from Wisconsin that seems to be a talented defender. And finally Reid Grant is a guard from Iowa that is committed but has not signed his NLI so not sure but I am guessing that’s more on UND’s end with figuring out scholarships. 

I thought they played as young team most of year in that you never knew which team would show up for the game. Yesterday loss showed a team that had not played for couple of weeks and it showed on offensive side of the game. Also hurt when Rebraca got hurt in the game you can't loose that type of player in game like that. This team will get better next year problem is all the teams in conference are going to get better next year with no change in personal for the coming season and NDSU, SDSU, and USD will all be veteran teams.  This team is lacking size on the front line and it showed in several games this year when we had difficult time matching up with different teams especially NDSU and SDSU  and again against ORU last night with Weaver. I was hoping we would have scholarship available if grad transfer was available for coming year but as it stands now were fully committed for the coming season.  I think the coming season will depend if we get any impact freshman players help us move up in the conference and that will determine how we will do next year. Maybe other people have more knowledge on that but i guess were going to have hard time moving up in the conference and I think we will be better team next year.

I do expect a few to transfer out of our program just as DAE did.  I’m sure those that sat the bench all year want playing time and with everyone coming back I just don’t see some wanting to sit.  On the reverse side those players with an attitude like BP will stick it out, practice hard and get a shot at playing.

need a big who can play down low, juco or transfer 

Overall it was a disappointing year. I think splitting with DU and Omaha really did it for me. No reason to be losing those games. This team needed a player that could bail them out when the shot clock was winding down or they would go on one of those scoring droughts and no one could do that consistently. Hopefully they can bring in a transfer/recruit or someone on the roster can step into that role next year

Only one that sat much was Bergan the freshman this year. The next players that sat much were Shockey and at the end Urbonavicius but both were both played minutes even the conference season. Maybe i can see one these players leaving but maybe not either all of them young players with 3 and 4 years eligibilities left i can see them sticking around year see if they improve. Also with next year not good year to transfer with number of players that will be available because of last year not counting on their service time in college.

Lots of goods points shared so far:  Some of my thoughts

The Good

-Improved record against the NCC schools verses previous year.  Beating USD 3 times, including the sweep against them at home when they were fully healthy.  

-They did improve their conference record from last year and their finish in the conference was higher than expected.

-A star in the making in Ihenacho at the point guard position.  

-Like that Rebraca took another solid step in the right direction.  

The Not So good

-The losses against DU and Omaha (perhaps you could throw WIU in as well).  Could have finished with a winning record in conference play. 

-Inconsistency all year long (too many droughts) (cost them games against Dixie State and NDSU (in Sioux Falls))

-Stagnant offense when Rebraca wasn't on the floor. 

-Free throws 

It really was a mixed bag this year.  There is a lot to like and a lot to be worried about.  There is a lot coming back next year and some talented recruits coming into the program.  I need to see what everyone is bringing back before I can really rate where UND will land next year.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Dustin said:

When UND Mens Basketball send out their thank you for the season, they didn't mention anything about saying goodbye to Panoam.... unlike what UND Womens Basketball did for their 2 seniors moving on

1 hour ago, GoodGood said:

Overall it was a disappointing year. I think splitting with DU and Omaha really did it for me. No reason to be losing those games. This team needed a player that could bail them out when the shot clock was winding down or they would go on one of those scoring droughts and no one could do that consistently. Hopefully they can bring in a transfer/recruit or someone on the roster can step into that role next year

I think Ihenacho can develop into that player, but he needs to develop his jump shot a little more and he cannot shoot 55% from the free throw line again.  

Would be good to keep Panoam.  I think the G ship has sailed.  I like him but too slow for the offence and defence we need.  My mind is open on Shocked and Bergan.  Too early to tell.  I thinks will help from the start.  Not so sure on the rest.  Will what's coming back on all teams, we improve on record and results.

5 minutes ago, Nodak78 said:

Would be good to keep Panoam.  I think the G ship has sailed.  I like him but too slow for the offence and defence we need.  My mind is open on Shocked and Bergan.  Too early to tell.  I thinks will help from the start.  Not so sure on the rest.  Will what's coming back on all teams, we improve on record and results.

Right now NDSU, ORU and SDSU will have their best players returning.  USD is the wild card with Umude and how quick AJ comes back from his knee injury.   KC has questions with McKissic as well.  WIU will take another step in Year 2 under Jeter.  Denver will be rebuilding.  Omaha just had their best guard enter the transfer portal today and Pile isn't coming back.  St. Thomas, who knows how good they will be in Year 1. 

According to SDSU fan forum coach Henderson stated that Wilson would be coming back and haven't heard anything about Friedel but i guess he comes back. South Dakota still speculation about their seniors if they will be coming back. NDSU i haven't heard about Krueser if he's coming back but i got to think he will with what's returning  for NDSU.  Omaha will have alot of injured players returning unless they leave the program. Some these schools have some high recruits also coming in and if they are retaining their top seniors overall league play should improve for the coming year. Also ST. Thomas with extra talent available should have ample opportunity to recruit number of quality players to build the program a little quicker than people may think.

4 hours ago, SWSiouxMN said:

Right now NDSU, ORU and SDSU will have their best players returning.  USD is the wild card with Umude and how quick AJ comes back from his knee injury.   KC has questions with McKissic as well.  WIU will take another step in Year 2 under Jeter.  Denver will be rebuilding.  Omaha just had their best guard enter the transfer portal today and Pile isn't coming back.  St. Thomas, who knows how good they will be in Year 1. 

It’s going to be real tough for UND to make a huge jump in the standings I think. Need Shockey or Bergan to really step up or Bruns to come in as advertised.