SiouxSports.com Forum

2020-2021 Season

SWSiouxMN

3 minutes ago, SiouxVolley said:

Think UND needs another good season before higher HS talent will take Sather seriously.  Then the program will really bloom.

I like Sather’s potential for being a good coach, but our season wasn’t all that great, just the ending.  Even Jones did that.  We’ll see what the talent Sather brings in can do, because the top two are Jones recruits.  The thing I like about Sather is that it is all being built around team, which means you can win even if you don’t have all the best players.  Teams without egos and that work hard and together are fun to watch.

• Upvote 1

37 minutes ago, tnt said:

I like Sather’s potential for being a good coach, but our season wasn’t all that great, just the ending.  Even Jones did that.  We’ll see what the talent Sather brings in can do, because the top two are Jones recruits.  The thing I like about Sather is that it is all being built around team, which means you can win even if you don’t have all the best players.  Teams without egos and that work hard and together are fun to watch.

Agree 1000+

On paper these new recruits look like they have potential to be very good team but we will not know until they start playing together. I got to believe putting a team together right now has to be difficult without actually seeing them in person because you get a feel what each individual is when your around them seeing them respond to you and others . I believe coach Sather has ability to work with players because of this last season where he got players to buy into changes he was doing without loosing them before the start of the season. Even these players he is bringing look good now but few may not pan out over time we will see where players are here they  may move on in time its part of the game now. Coach Jones brought players in that were deemed projects and he would find a few jems but a lot were here couple of years and if they didn't pan out they moved on to where it was better fit. This is what happening this year with Sather number of these kids haven't developed like they thought and now are moving on. This is why UND always took time to develop the team but by the end of year they were one better teams it happen again last year with Sather and even under Jones we had this where UND good runs in conference tournaments. The problem with this to average fan loose interest as team develops because you have times when team doesn't look very good but to people running the team they see big picture and are looking for end of the season. The fans want team to be winning all way through the season but being mid major this hard to achieve to have complete team developed to compete the whole season. South Dakota State had one of those teams two years ago but in the end they couldn't win at end because one teams like UND put it all together at the end where they were better than South Dakota upset them.  To many on this site don't understand this is not like our hockey team where we are dominate team from beginning to end and same thing for football which we are trying to achieve to be dominate for the season. Basketball for Mid Major is trying to find very good raw talent and develop it each season and hope you catch fire at end and have a good run into the tournaments.   There are very few Mid Major programs that can consistently make big runs year in year out in basketball and if they are usually private or ivy league school and basketball is there big sport. But getting back to UND it appears we have put together team that could develop into conference contender if things fall together.

Listened to some of the Fan Forum talk (today was the BBall coaches turn, below is what Sather mentioned, decided to share the highlights, but not all inclusive)

On incoming freshman

-Mentioned that Bergan has a similar build of Walter, needs to get stronger, aggressive, high ceiling

-Mentioned Tyler has great size for a PG, can push the pace, great feel for the game

-Mentioned Shockey is the ultimate competitor, huge hands, combo guard, make shots and can finish

On Transfers

-Mentioned Sims, can guard all positions, great intangibles.

-Mentioned Sueker filling the Walter role, great face up player and can get inside as well. 

-Mentioned Nero, can play at either 1 or 2, 3 level scorer, hoping that he can play right away.

• Upvote 3

48 minutes ago, SWSiouxMN said:

Listened to some of the Fan Forum talk (today was the BBall coaches turn, below is what Sather mentioned, decided to share the highlights, but not all inclusive)

On incoming freshman

-Mentioned that Bergan has a similar build of Walter, needs to get stronger, aggressive, high ceiling

-Mentioned Tyler has great size for a PG, can push the pace, great feel for the game

-Mentioned Shockey is the ultimate competitor, huge hands, combo guard, make shots and can finish

On Transfers

-Mentioned Sueker filling the Walter role, great face up player and can get inside as well. 

-Mentioned Nero, can play at either 1 or 2, 3 level scorer, hoping that he can play right away.

Thanks for sharing!

2 hours ago, SWSiouxMN said:

On incoming freshman

On Transfers

Thanks SW.  I just had a chance to listen to the fan forum.  Every time I listen to Sather I become more impressed.  He also mentioned He is keeping an eye for another addition to the roster but is not in a hurry.  Really looking forward to next year.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
8 minutes ago, sioux24/7 said:

Swap Kansas City and DU in the tiers and I don't disagree in how he has them separated. (positions on the other hand....)

He isn't wrong in saying that the teams 2-7 are going to be a crapshoot on where they end up. 

1 hour ago, SWSiouxMN said:

Swap Kansas City and DU in the tiers and I don't disagree in how he has them separated. (positions on the other hand....)

He isn't wrong in saying that the teams 2-7 are going to be a crapshoot on where they end up. 

They host a great college basketball podcast (3 Man Weave) if you’re interested in everything college basketball and not just the power conferences. 

• 4 weeks later...
11 minutes ago, sioux24/7 said:

I have heard that we may actually be getting a few non-conference mid-majors to come to the Betty this year.

assuming sather isn't gonna let our non-conference look like dogsheet every damn year like jones had it.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1L-wA0XgxXDFuK0FD0lPayMevSNwM8dxm2QVYKVRFVIY/edit#gid=1619379223

Some dates listed

11/10 @ Mizzou

Tournament at San Antonio

12/12 Milwaukee

12/19 @ Idaho

12/21 @ Wazzu

12/29 @ Minnesota

It also listed home games against the Griz and the Bobcats but didn't have dates. 

*Would guess that since Montana is in Fargo on 12/19, I would guess they would be in GF on 12/17

**San Antonio tournament is a 4 team event with Incarate Word (host), SE MO St, and Tarleton State (new D1 team).  It appears to be an exempt tournament. 

• Upvote 1