SiouxSports.com Forum

2020-2021 Season

SWSiouxMN

2 hours ago, ND-fan said:

My guess on finishing order would be NDSU, USD, ORU, SDSU, UND, KC, WILL, and Denver based on last couple weeks of what's happen in the league. Reasons SDSU is not the team everyone expected and they have to go on road to beat NDSU short handed. USD i think are going to come up game short because i look at their opponents hard to not have 500 finish even if they play well, NDSU is at home and is rested for SDSU and I just think they will split with USD. UND I think sweeps at Omaha which i think will pretty much lock them in fourth spot but they could split to on the road moving them to 6. KC hard to guess them but i just feel they will split their remaining games, West ILL.  will have good finishing record but not enough to catch UND or KC. Denver gets in as the 8 th seed. For got ORU if they split USD and W. ILL games probably won't mean much in seeding i think if other things happen with other teams. Now watch how this all gets blown up in next two weeks.  My thoughts are nobody going to like to play UND or W. ILL if your seeded higher come the tournament time both teams are playing at different level than their record indicate. NDSU has been most consistent team from beginning to end of the season. ORU can beat anyone in the conference but i don't think they can put 3 straight games together. SDSU is unknown factor because loss of Friedel and irregular season and if they play UND first i wouldn't want to play them again and try to beat them 4 times in season and the long winning streak they have against UND i just think law of averages say it might be UND time win a game against them. USD may make to championship game but i doubt it wins the tournament. West. ILL could be real sleeper of team if were betting and given good odds they might be high gamble and high risk but could win alot of money.  

I just don't think we match up that well with SDSU, even without Friedel.  UND doesn't have an answer for Wilson.  I fully expect SDSU to rally around and make a run still. They still have plenty of talent to make a run.

Also, no one is going to want to play KC as well because of their style.  I don't want to see them in Round 1.  

I was looking at most of these teams in Summit conference and i am thinking most of these teams will be back in full force for next year with this year. SDSU only senior is Wilson and if he wants to come back i am sure they are going to find way same with NDSU only Rocky Cruiser is senior and he will be back i guess, big two at ORU will be back , USD has biggest question with several of their seniors, W ILL.  most of the team will be back, KC could see some turn over, and UND will be basically returning their team.  If this is the case were going to see very competitive conference next year and all these teams improving just because maturing together. Und has some open spots so question do they bring in player to meet their needs now or bring players to develop for the future. 

56 minutes ago, ND-fan said:

I was looking at most of these teams in Summit conference and i am thinking most of these teams will be back in full force for next year with this year. SDSU only senior is Wilson and if he wants to come back i am sure they are going to find way same with NDSU only Rocky Cruiser is senior and he will be back i guess, big two at ORU will be back , USD has biggest question with several of their seniors, W ILL.  most of the team will be back, KC could see some turn over, and UND will be basically returning their team.  If this is the case were going to see very competitive conference next year and all these teams improving just because maturing together. Und has some open spots so question do they bring in player to meet their needs now or bring players to develop for the future. 

Which open spots do they have?  The two that are from Ramsey and DAE are being filled with Bruns and McGrath.  The Panoam one will be filled by Grant (I think)

So unless there is more roster turnover, UND is set for 21-22, I believe.

• Like 1

They have 11 spots on the roster with Panoam  and they  can have 15 scholarships with in total so we have 4 spots currently open right now and now Panoam can come back but will not be counted against the 15 spots so we would half 5 spots open for this coming year. Now you listed 3  players already to be coming in so i believe they could have 2 spots left to fill if they so choose for the coming year.  What becomes interesting is next year when we have  4 juniors and again after next year we could carry 4 extra scholarships because of this years extra year of eligibility. This is my understanding how this works when this year doesn't count against your eligibility but will come down to if athletic departments can afford to carry these extra players.

52 minutes ago, ND-fan said:

They have 11 spots on the roster with Panoam  and they  can have 15 scholarships with in total so we have 4 spots currently open right now and now Panoam can come back but will not be counted against the 15 spots so we would half 5 spots open for this coming year. Now you listed 3  players already to be coming in so i believe they could have 2 spots left to fill if they so choose for the coming year.  What becomes interesting is next year when we have  4 juniors and again after next year we could carry 4 extra scholarships because of this years extra year of eligibility. This is my understanding how this works when this year doesn't count against your eligibility but will come down to if athletic departments can afford to carry these extra players.

You continue to expound about a lot of things - you are often wrong as is the case here.  DI Men's BB is limited to 13 schollies!  The Women have 15. 

And, if Panoam would come back, he would be counted!

Yes they have 13 head count scholarship for full ride scholarships but most schools in NCAA allocate this head scholarships out to 15 to 16 players providing so much money to each player. What i read on this extra year eligibility is that even if they give scholarship to that player it doesn't count against the 13 available scholarships for the program this is something unique and my understanding is all the players this year that were provided this extra year eligibility this same process will play out for them.  This has been stated on other websites stating the same thing and and if you have better source i would appreciate it. But this extra year eligibility is unique this year. Aslo Und has 14 to 16 players on their roster each year usually and i believe that is what most teams do with their scholarship money. This year is first that we had 11 and i do realize we lost two players in the season but this least number of players we have carried.  I never have guaranteed everything i have said but its facts as far as i have read and followed UND athletics when i was stating we had 4 or 5 spots this is normal roster spots UND has had over the years. No school publishes how they spend scholarship money on individual basis at least i have never found source for that.  Go to other schools in Summit  conference they all list at least 14 to 16  spots on their rosters.   

1 hour ago, ND-fan said:

Yes they have 13 head count scholarship for full ride scholarships but most schools in NCAA allocate this head scholarships out to 15 to 16 players providing so much money to each player. What i read on this extra year eligibility is that even if they give scholarship to that player it doesn't count against the 13 available scholarships for the program this is something unique and my understanding is all the players this year that were provided this extra year eligibility this same process will play out for them.  This has been stated on other websites stating the same thing and and if you have better source i would appreciate it. But this extra year eligibility is unique this year. Aslo Und has 14 to 16 players on their roster each year usually and i believe that is what most teams do with their scholarship money. This year is first that we had 11 and i do realize we lost two players in the season but this least number of players we have carried.  I never have guaranteed everything i have said but its facts as far as i have read and followed UND athletics when i was stating we had 4 or 5 spots this is normal roster spots UND has had over the years. No school publishes how they spend scholarship money on individual basis at least i have never found source for that.  Go to other schools in Summit  conference they all list at least 14 to 16  spots on their rosters.   

Please read the following:  Division I individual institutions can have a maximum of 13 scholarships for men’s basketball and 15 for women’s basketball.  The NCAA considers basketball a head-count sport, and this means that the scholarship number is absolute. In a sport that is not considered a head-count sport, the allowable amount for scholarships can be divided among several players. Instead of 15 full scholarships, an institution could award 30 partial scholarships.  

This means that UND men's program cannot provide scholarships to more than 13 players during a school year.  If there are more than 13 players on a roster, they are walk-ons.  At times, players are "promised" a scholarship their second year with a team if they make satisfactory progress during their freshman year.  An example would be Danielson - he walked on last year and earned a scholarship this year. 

FCS football not a head count sport - a maximum of 85 players can share the equivalent of 63 scholarships.

My comments about Panoam (for example) coming back was not worded correctly.  He would not count towards the scholarship limit from the NCAA.  However, with the significant loss of athletic profits due to the pandemic, there will be very few smaller DI programs that will have the ability to fund any scholarships above the normal allotment.  Like most schools, UND is trying its best to simply maintain the same athletic budget as last year. 

14 hours ago, Nodak78 said:

I was wondering about G not receiving any playing time as well.

I like what G can bring to the team in terms of another post player that can stretch the floor and can knock down shots from the free throw line.  He just has a knack of scoring in bunches and getting hot.   There is a lot to like on the offensive side of things for him. He just can't seem to stay on the court because he always seems to pick up fouls at a rapid rate. I like looking at this website for stats and they include a lot of the advance stats.  

2020-21 North Dakota Fighting Hawks Roster and Stats | College Basketball at Sports-Reference.com (sports-reference.com)

I looked at the teams fouls per 100 possessions and per 40 minutes.  If you look at G's Rate in those two stats, he would commit 9.6 fouls per 100 possessions and 6.6 fouls per 40 minutes. The next closest player to him in this stat, that gets significant minutes, is Sueker, who was at 6 per 100 and 4.1 fouls per 40 minutes.   You can't stay on the court with those rates.  He had similar issues with this last year as well.   

I hope he can follow a path where he can take a jump next season and be better on that end of the floor so he can show more of his offense.  The problem is this:  You have Sueker and Rebraca that are going to soak minutes at the 4 and 5.  Sims can play at the 4.  What about Bergan?  Does he get minutes next season at the 4 if he is ready?  Plus you have McGrath coming in, who will take minutes at the 5 if he plays right away. 

26 minutes ago, ZDosch said:

I think it would be a great idea for UND to find an extra scholarship because there won't be nearly enough spots for all these transfers and we could easily see a high level of player trickle down to UND. 

This is the worst year ever to transfer...

@DAE

It will be interesting to see what happens in Sioux Falls.  This team is fully capable of playing on Tuesday night for the title, but they are also inconsistent enough that they can lose by 10+ in round 1 if the shots aren't falling. 

SDSU/UMKC is the key series this weekend.  Any Kansas City win will lock UND in the 6 seed.  Two SDSU wins give them the 5 seed.   

Sadly, the losses to DU, WIU, and Omaha really hurt them down the stretch.  Could have made it in the top 3 or 4 if they took care of business against those teams.