SiouxSports.com Forum

2020 Dumpster Fire (Enter at your own risk)

jk

37 minutes ago, Oxbow6 said:

Went to a local grocery store early this morning (with a mask on).......half the employees not wearing masks. Store policy doesn't mandate masks at this point. In the future what should be my verbal and/or physical response to those "buffoons"? 

At this point, I'd shop at a different grocery store.

• Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, Oxbow6 said:

Hmmmmmmm.....interesting. It has been reiterated repeatedly here not wearing masks everywhere in public kills people. Just looking for advice from the mask warriors.

If a private property owner doesn’t require masks, people who dislike masks should shop there. Anyone that jaws at them are out of line. 

People wanting an extra level of protection should go elsewhere but shouldn’t catch guff from anyone no matter where they are. 

• Upvote 2

On 5/4/2020 at 1:00 PM, NoiseInsideMyHead said:

We're inching closer to having two economies:  a mask-required one and a mask-free one.  People can speak with their wallets, and I have to wonder how long the mask-required businesses will hold out if a sufficient number of people flock to the others.

I've seen nothing that would cause me to wear a mask 99% of the time, but if a particular transaction is essential to me, I may bite the bullet. But that thing is coming off the millisecond it is no longer "required." And I will go out of my way to shop mask-free, if that's what it comes to.

This didn't age too well, as the number of mask-optional choices is rapidly dwindling.  I stand by my statement, though, and I would be curious to track store-specific sales and traffic if a chain like Hugo's designated one location as face-friendly.  Makes for an interesting study in human behavior and economics.

Oh,  you don't say. 

How COVID-19 fatality reports are distorting the data on daily death rates

At issue is how state health departments publicize daily reports of fatalities within the state's borders. State health officials have for months been publishing two sets of mortality statistics: deaths that occurred on the publication date in question, and deaths that have only recently been catalogued from state backlogs. 

The Arizona Department of Health Services publishes both of those figures on its coronavirus dashboard: On its "Summary" page, it lists the "number of new deaths reported today," while on its "Covid-19 Deaths" tab, the state lists the actual "deaths by date of death."

The distinction is a critical one: The state's "new deaths" every day do not actually reflect the number of coronavirus fatalities Arizona has logged in the past 24 hours, but rather the number of COVID-19 deaths it has identified from both new and older death certificates. 

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, petey23 said:

Not sure how much stock I put in people wearing masks due to user error, choice of masks, etc. but don't judge people either way. Am amazed at the videos of the mask Nazis approaching people and pulling down their masks so they can scream in the non mask wearers face. I don't wear one outside or in my vehicle and I don't take virtue signaling selfies wearing one to post on social media. More than anything I just try and maintain distance in public settings which I have done for years.

I have a few in my vehicle and if I go Grocery shopping or into a convenience store I put one on. If I go into a place of business for work I usually throw one in my padfolio and read the room.

If I go out to lunch during the day I don't wear a mask and just maintain proper distancing as well as possible. 

Going to keep crushing Vitamin D and hope for the best. 

Sadly the issue of masks has become a flash-point for a culture war; albeit one where the Right is slowly aquiescing to reason.   This was illustrated perfectly when Mitch McConnell started advocating for masks and needed to tell his constituency “We must have no stigma, none,”  

16 minutes ago, NoiseInsideMyHead said:

This didn't age too well, as the number of mask-optional choices is rapidly dwindling.  I stand by my statement, though, and I would be curious to track store-specific sales and traffic if a chain like Hugo's designated one location as face-friendly.  Makes for an interesting study in human behavior and economics.

Some businesses have gotten smart, require them and sell them at the front door.   I love free economy.  

6 minutes ago, Goon said:

I wonder if wearing a mask will soon become unpopular since President Trump tweeted this?

Outside of his blustering, I was glad to see this tweet.  It should help get some cult members onboard.  

Others won't stop using masks.

2 minutes ago, homer said:

Some businesses have gotten smart, require them and sell them at the front door.   I love free economy.  

I was at a big (and still popular) mall last weekend.  While it was less crowded,  everything was open.  The big difference was that the kiosks in the aisles that depend on foot traffic were mostly closed.  The only ones that were staffed were the couple that were selling masks.  Capitalism!

Connecticut: Coronavirus testing flaw causing false positives

Scientists at Connecticut’s public health laboratory say they’ve discovered a flaw in a manufacturer’s testing system for the coronavirus that’s used by labs around the country. So far, it’s resulted in 90 people - mostly residents of Connecticut nursing homes and assisted living facilities - recently receiving false positive tests.

State public health officials are now reviewing whether nursing home residents who received false positive tests were grouped with other residents with accurate positive tests, given the state’s recommendation to cohort nursing home residents who test positive for COVID-19.

“We don’t know that yet,” said Josh Geballe, Gov. Ned Lamont’s chief operating officer, noting that a team from the state’s Department of Public Health has been reaching out to every clinician responsible for those individuals, as well as the facilities where they live, and compiling data on the situation

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, UNDlaw80 said:

Sadly the issue of masks has become a flash-point for a culture war; albeit one where the Right is slowly aquiescing to reason.   This was illustrated perfectly when Mitch McConnell started advocating for masks and needed to tell his constituency “We must have no stigma, none,”  

Agree some people have taken immovable positions due to cultural cognition, there is some right/left component amongst hard cores, but the media loves elevating a political fights.  

I don’t see the media’s version from my own  boots-on-the-ground standpoint  

Some people just think it’s sensible to wear masks, including 6 family members who have never voted for a democrat. I also have 3 family members who’ve never voted for a republican who refuse to wear masks except when required. 

Then there are those making it political which is a much smaller group than advertised..imho 

15 minutes ago, Cratter said:

Brilliant move by Trump. 

Masks are now a sign of Trump supporters.

Not so fast.

Trump has previously downplayed the importance of wearing masks and has only worn one a handful of times in public during the four-plus months of the pandemic.

"I think the President was making a good point that if he wears a mask, it would encourage others to wear a mask," Fauci said. "I wish he would get out of the political arena, and just understand it for what it is. It's a public health mechanism."

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/fauci-says-he-wasn-t-aware-white-house-coronavirus-briefings-were-returning/ar-BB170JIU?ocid=msedgdhp

On 7/19/2020 at 11:59 AM, wxman91 said:

The reason why people on the left are so comfortable calling Trump-supporters cultists is precisely because of things like your post.  You parrot talking points that I’m sure you got from the right-wing media without any critical thought at all into the issues.  

Open borders - can you point to the legislation or party platform calling for this?  Sure, there are thought pieces around, but this is actually a Libertarian, small-government argument.

Non-citizens voting - again, point to the legislation or party platform.  There are some places in the country that allow non-citizen voting in municipal elections, but that is not being proposed at state or national levels.

Felons voting - the main thrust of this has been regarding those that have served their sentence.  In FL the voters overwhelmingly voted for this (including many Rs), but the state legislature has gone against the will of the voters.  Some think that incarcerated felons should be able to vote.  Somewhere along the line we as a country decided that was a right that could be taken away.  Not everyone believes in that.

So, to your main point, there is a lot more depth to these issues than you make it seem.  And the idea that Democrats are importing people to make them D voters is indeed “fake news”.

I don’t get talking points from any media, I watch the democrats and see what they do, if you think they aren’t for open borders or having felons vote you live somewhere else.

im for the rule of law, want to come here do it legally, want to vote, stay out of trouble, want a job go find one.

open borders didn’t take legislation, Obama did it by not allowing border patrol to do their job.

how do i know this, I talk to them.  They told me once Obama was gone the moral in the border patrol went up 1000%.

in a 2 week period in Arizona there were over 300 illegals from China picked up trying to get in the country, just what we want with the virus coming from China.

how do I know this, it’s called research, something left wing media won’t report on.

don't trust my numbers, do the research yourself.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, BarnWinterSportsEngelstad said:

Not so fast.

Trump has previously downplayed the importance of wearing masks and has only worn one a handful of times in public during the four-plus months of the pandemic.

"I think the President was making a good point that if he wears a mask, it would encourage others to wear a mask," Fauci said. "I wish he would get out of the political arena, and just understand it for what it is. It's a public health mechanism."

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/fauci-says-he-wasn-t-aware-white-house-coronavirus-briefings-were-returning/ar-BB170JIU?ocid=msedgdhp

If the experts opinions on masks can change and it’s acceptable, so can the presidents.  

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, homer said:

If the experts opinions on masks can change and it’s acceptable, so can the presidents.  

The experts changed their mind on masks when they saw it wouldn’t cause a shortage of ppe to the hospitals.

trump changed his mind when he was finally able to swallow his pride and admit it was the only way to save himself from political suicide.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Redneksioux said:

The experts changed their mind on masks when they saw it wouldn’t cause a shortage of ppe to the hospitals.

trump changed his mind when he was finally able to swallow his pride and admit it was the only way to save himself from political suicide.

Experts have the luxury of giving advice that views public health as the only factor in their equation. Easy position to be in when all you have to do is over shoot in terms of precaution.

Politicians have a much more complicated equation to solve.

• Upvote 2

21 minutes ago, Redneksioux said:

So why should the experts opinion be valued by everyone?   They lied.  Are they being honest now? 

• Upvote 1