SiouxSports.com Forum

2020 Dumpster Fire (Enter at your own risk)

jk

3 minutes ago, Redneksioux said:

Which others are killing close to 1,000 per day in the US?

Why is that relevant?

If one life can be saved...isn’t that what we’re being told?

shut down your business and go bankrupt if it’ll save one life.

pull your kids out of school and set them back irreversibly if it’ll save one life.

can’t or won’t do the above? You’re selfish and only think about yourself and money.

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, Redneksioux said:

Curious why that matters.  It's at the point that even one life lost to sickness is too many I thought?

11 minutes ago, Oxbow6 said:

Millions have died prior to March from influenza in this country. 

Holy cow Joe Biden. It is "estimated" that 337,000 have died from influenza in the last 9 years combined. Based on that average, it would take 26 years for 1 million to die, let alone millions.

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, Bison06 said:

Did you wear a mask before March?

No, I started when the experts coalesced on that being our best bet for slowing down the virus.  And they were right, as everyone (incl Trump) now realizes.  

Delaying the impacts of COVID by using face masks allows researchers to come together on best plans for treatment.  We’ve already seen that better and more informed decisions which have very likely helped to lower the death rate of those who are hospitalized.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Bison06 said:

Why is that relevant?

If one life can be saved...isn’t that what we’re being told?

shut down your business and go bankrupt if it’ll save one life.

pull your kids out of school and set them back irreversibly if it’ll save one life.

can’t or won’t do the above? You’re selfish and only think about yourself and money.

We are a ways beyond one life....140k plus.

Anyways family time now. Have a safe, socially distant, and masked evening siouxsports!

7 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

Holy cow Joe Biden. It is "estimated" that 337,000 have died from influenza in the last 9 years combined. Based on that average, it would take 26 years for 1 million to die, let alone millions.

Exactly.....and that's with a vaccine. Over the years.....decades....millions. Wise up. Where were masks a decade ago? 5 years ago?

Probably more too if they gave cause of death like Covid19.

• Upvote 2

16 minutes ago, Redneksioux said:

Not Covid-19.  Not even close.  I realize this thread is now a complete cesspool but lets try and at least get deaths correct.  

13 minutes ago, wxman91 said:

No, I started when the experts coalesced on that being our best bet for slowing down the virus.  And they were right, as everyone (incl Trump) now realizes.  

Delaying the impacts of COVID by using face masks allows researchers to come together on best plans for treatment.  We’ve already seen that better and more informed decisions which have very likely helped to lower the death rate of those who are hospitalized.

I also have looked at what the experts are saying and there seems to now be consensus(up until recently it wasn’t so clear) and wearing a mask is a choice I’ll make for myself, but I also believe that each person is free in this country to make their own decisions. That is where we seem to differ. I’ll do what I need to do to protect myself and my family and everyone else can do the same as far as I’m concerned.

2 minutes ago, Bison06 said:

I also have looked at what the experts are saying and there seems to now be consensus(up until recently it wasn’t so clear) that wearing a mask is a choice I’ll make for myself, but I also believe that each person is free in this country to make their own decisions. That is where we seem to differ. I’ll do what I need to do to protect myself and my family and everyone else can do the same as far as I’m concerned.

Why am I required to wear clothes in public?

13 minutes ago, Oxbow6 said:

Exactly.....thats with a vaccine.. Over the years.....decades. Wise up. Where were masks a decade ago. 5 years ago.

In other countries, they were plenty prevalent. Here, not so much.

But as a generality, it turns out this is a bit different than the flu, regardless of how much someone wants to believe or discredit the numbers, and those results came after an unprecendented shutdown. Not going to argue what mistakes or things could have been done different, that's been hashed over enough.

7 minutes ago, wxman91 said:

Because 98% of the general public looks much better fully clothed! I'm putting my money you fall into that percentage........like me.

4 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

In other countries, they were plenty prevalent. Here, not so much.

But as a generality, it turns out this is a bit different than the flu, regardless of how much someone wants to believe or discredit the numbers, and those come with an unprecendented shutdown.

Again......masks? Where have the been? Simple question. Communicable airborne diseases have been around for how long? 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, wxman91 said:

Covering sexual organs in a civilized society seems to be a good thing as to not expose minors to such things.

I can’t speak to the specific history of why modesty is written into our laws.

10 minutes ago, Oxbow6 said:

Again......masks? Where have the been? Simple question. Communicable airborne diseases have been around for how long? 

I wonder how a medical "professional" would get their license stripped for saying such anti mask nonsense? 

You'd think in the least there would be some ramifications?

Hmmmmmm?  

3 minutes ago, Hayduke1 said:

I wonder how a medical "professional" would get their license stripped for saying such anti mask nonsense? 

You'd think in the least there would be some ramifications?

Hmmmmmm?  

I'm sure the St. Louis Circuit Attorney  would listen to your concerns on this matter.

15 minutes ago, Bison06 said:

Covering sexual organs in a civilized society seems to be a good thing as to not expose minors to such things.

I can’t speak to the specific history of why modesty is written into our laws.

So, in other words, we are wearing something to protect others.  Does that align with personal freedom?

3 minutes ago, wxman91 said:

So, in other words, we are wearing something to protect others.  Does that align with personal freedom?

Fair argument.

Where is the line in your mind then? And who is deciding what measures are taken?

Edit: I think it fair to note that many people fight for their right to dress or not dress the way they feel is appropriate. Minneapolis is currently in a fight with many women who feel they should be able to be topless in public.

2 minutes ago, wxman91 said:

A child would still see your balls if they were more than six feet away from you.  It’s a terrible comparison

13 minutes ago, Oxbow6 said:

I'm sure the St. Louis Circuit Attorney  would listen to your concerns on this matter.

Thanks.  Yeah, I believe a really effing stupid medical professional would advise against wearing masks. 

Such a knuckle dragging moron would definately get in a whole sh#$pile of trouble. 

I doubt that person would have lied about their credentials just to make themselves the big man on a stupid message board though. 

Lololol.

Here's some basic mathematical analysis, lest anyone wonder why I feel the way I do about masks:

CONSTANTS (per ND Dept of Health)

POSITIVE TESTS = 5126/135978 = 0.0377

ACTIVE INFECTIONS = 907/5126 = .177

MASK UTILIZATION (theoretical)

If XX percent of people wear a mask, your chances of encountering an unmasked individual at random are 100-XX in 100

i.e., 95% = 5 in 100 = 1 in 20 = .05, 85% = 15 in 100 = 1 in 6.67 = .15, and so on.

ASSUMPTIONS

1. Anyone who is "active" is shedding virus (doubtful, but I'll err on the side of extreme caution) = 0.177

2. Contraction subsequent to exposure occurs 1 in 4 times (likely very high, but haven't seen data) = 0.25

3. If you contract the virus, your odds of getting sick are the same as the overall positive rate in ND = 0.0377

2011229494_ScreenShot2020-07-20at5_29_38PM.thumb.png.b299e73197b12b3b0a0d1ee1134c812a.png

(Rate of encounter) X (ND positive rate) X (ND active case, i.e. shedding virus) X (Odds of getting infected) X (ND Positive rate) = your odds of getting sick 

I recently saw someone online say that 50% isn't 100%, but it's better than 0.  I tend to agree.

So, at 65%, which I think is fairly representative (if not conservative) of the number of people who are WILLINGLY (i.e., pre-mandates) wearing a mask in and around GF, your odds of getting sick from a random community encounter are about 1 in 45,000.  Pretty low, right?  And think, NO STRIFE over forcing anyone to do anything.  Free will is a powerful tool.

At 75% adoption, your odds are 1 in 63,000.  Better, but honestly, how much?

At 85%, 1 in 106,000.  Again, better.  But at what cost?  Civil harmony?  People just getting along?

At 95%, which is a pipe dream, you're at 1 in 318,000.  But you've divided friends, family, and neighbors, and burdened the community with enforcement to get to this point.

My thesis is that FIGHTING ABOUT MASKS is doing more societal harm than the virus itself, and that the quantifiable benefit of imposing masks on others does not result in significantly reduced risk to any person.  The variance in mask utilization from 65 to 95% is about the functional equivalent of adding or subtracting a ball (or a specific range of numbers) to the PowerBall drawing.  Yes, it changes the odds mathematically, but it doesn't change the fact that you are still extremely unlikely to win the jackpot.

• Upvote 1

• UNDBIZ changed the title to 2020 Dumpster Fire (Enter at your own risk)
  • UNDBIZ locked this topic
  • UNDBIZ unlocked this topic