SiouxSports.com Forum

2020-2021 Season

SWSiouxMN

I do too they deserve much better help in getting to win. Bernhard i still like but I think she doesn't have enough experience right now to coach at this level and UND doesn't have tim to let her figure all that out. I think she needed more time being head coach at lower levels to help in game management and developing program she can teach and know what she wants her to team perform. I also think it would have been good if she had coached under several different coaches and programs to get different perspective on coaching and understanding how to look at things differently from new perspective.  There may be more things going on than we know to on what changes she could make with the program and for sure this has been tough year to deal with Covid. Yes he has had tough luck with injuries and Covid but she also started the season with players on the roster evidently she or coaches were not going to fit with her.  Also there have been several players evidently not available for what ever reason and if this was the case she should have looked at least for mid year replacement with this years rules hardly year to try to play short. I look at  UMN where they brought in Borowicz sister of one of our players early to play at mid season because of this years rules and she already is playing the second half of the season.  I believe this season may be one of the worst in program history for wins and losses when it all said and done. The sad part of this there are number of good players on this team and they deserve better but i am still proud of them for still playing hard and trying to get to a win.

• Upvote 2

I don't think so and if we do go it will be as number 8 seed meaning one and done faced up against either of the South Dakota schools. Like i said this in previous posts its like we just wrote off this season and they will address what they are going to do next year. Sad part is it wasted number of girls eligibility and effort plus how program is perceived by potential recruits and by the fans of UND. Und women's sports have fallen on hard times since budget cuts we lost Hockey team, and our highly regarded volley and basketball programs are not at the levels they were 5 years ago.

17 hours ago, ND-fan said:

I don't think so and if we do go it will be as number 8 seed meaning one and done faced up against either of the South Dakota schools. Like i said this in previous posts its like we just wrote off this season and they will address what they are going to do next year. Sad part is it wasted number of girls eligibility and effort plus how program is perceived by potential recruits and by the fans of UND. Und women's sports have fallen on hard times since budget cuts we lost Hockey team, and our highly regarded volley and basketball programs are not at the levels they were 5 years ago.

Nobody loses a year of eligibility this year.
Pretty sure if they had any scholarships available they would have brought someone in at Christmas, provided it was someone who could help. The scholarship cap is still 15 despite covid. You can't just tell someone that they no longer have a scholarship mid season. In order to recruit successfully in the future you have to regain that reputation for treating players well. 

Clearly you guys are going to need to hire a new coach after the end of the season.  Hopefully that new coach will be able to convince some of your good forwards to stay, while bringing in some talent at the guard spots.  The extra year of eligibility might help.  Looking at conference-only stats (the Summit site does this) the Hawks are one of the best rebounding and shot-blocking teams (#1 or #2).  Lots of stats in the average range, but what has killed you is shooting efficiency offense, and perimeter defense.

So basically you need to upgrade your guards (and coach).  The program isn't in dumpster-fire territory.  Just unbalanced, IMO.  I think you'll win enough games to go to SF.  I'd be shocked if that wasn't the case.

1 hour ago, kiyoat said:

Clearly you guys are going to need to hire a new coach after the end of the season.  Hopefully that new coach will be able to convince some of your good forwards to stay, while bringing in some talent at the guard spots.  The extra year of eligibility might help.  Looking at conference-only stats (the Summit site does this) the Hawks are one of the best rebounding and shot-blocking teams (#1 or #2).  Lots of stats in the average range, but what has killed you is shooting efficiency offense, and perimeter defense.

So basically you need to upgrade your guards (and coach).  The program isn't in dumpster-fire territory.  Just unbalanced, IMO.  I think you'll win enough games to go to SF.  I'd be shocked if that wasn't the case.

yes this interim stuff needs to be fixed....teams like usd and sdsu will/are using it against us...interim just doesn't look good.

On 1/17/2021 at 3:04 PM, ND-fan said:

Tough year, we really aren't seeing this team at full strength, not that they were going to be world beaters but much better than their current record. Regarding "wasted number of girls eligibility", I thought the NCAA had granted an extra year of eligibility for college athletes?  

Will they wait until end of the season because candidates wouldn't want to commit until end of the season.  I was thinking they would want to get head start for the new coach to have time to evaluate team and talent they have and also so they could begin recruiting new talent.  Also we have already signed several new players what happens if we do get coaching change to those players. This is one time Chaves put off decision hoping that promoting from within would solve the problem but I think it only got worse and going to take much longer to rebuild.  Kiyoat is right our front court can play with any teams in Summit conference but when it comes to our guard play right now maybe our present guards could fill certain rolls at guard but we need top end point guard and just other guards that are quick and can shoot the basketball.  Lane girl i sure would hate to see leave and if her sister is coming probably another good front court person. Zander i think with right coaching is going to be presence in next couple of years. Fleecs and  Leet if they would come back i would think any new coach would like to have size and ability for extra year giving him time find player he would want to recruit.  Gordon and Jarnot  I would think if they come back they would be accepted because of their size and both are quick enough and can shoot but not consistently but with different coaching who knows we might see totally different player. When it comes to guards it will come down to new coach if they come back and if they will fit in style of basketball they want to play. The funny thing is go look at there stats team should be in the middle of pack in the standings but the fact is were 0 and 11 and heading for 0 and 13 by end of next weekend. Also our schedule doesn't help either teams that are in lower half of the conference we only get Western ILL. at home and others on road and we are not very good road team past several years so even if we would get sweep with Western Ill. at home its going to be hard to pick up wins 3 and 4 even go to Sioux Falls.

On 1/18/2021 at 4:29 PM, ND-fan said:

Will they wait until end of the season because candidates wouldn't want to commit until end of the season.  I was thinking they would want to get head start for the new coach to have time to evaluate team and talent they have and also so they could begin recruiting new talent.  Also we have already signed several new players what happens if we do get coaching change to those players. This is one time Chaves put off decision hoping that promoting from within would solve the problem but I think it only got worse and going to take much longer to rebuild.  Kiyoat is right our front court can play with any teams in Summit conference but when it comes to our guard play right now maybe our present guards could fill certain rolls at guard but we need top end point guard and just other guards that are quick and can shoot the basketball.  Lane girl i sure would hate to see leave and if her sister is coming probably another good front court person. Zander i think with right coaching is going to be presence in next couple of years. Fleecs and  Leet if they would come back i would think any new coach would like to have size and ability for extra year giving him time find player he would want to recruit.  Gordon and Jarnot  I would think if they come back they would be accepted because of their size and both are quick enough and can shoot but not consistently but with different coaching who knows we might see totally different player. When it comes to guards it will come down to new coach if they come back and if they will fit in style of basketball they want to play. The funny thing is go look at there stats team should be in the middle of pack in the standings but the fact is were 0 and 11 and heading for 0 and 13 by end of next weekend. Also our schedule doesn't help either teams that are in lower half of the conference we only get Western ILL. at home and others on road and we are not very good road team past several years so even if we would get sweep with Western Ill. at home its going to be hard to pick up wins 3 and 4 even go to Sioux Falls.

Lanes Sister is coming now it appears

19 hours ago, dmksioux said:

Lane's sister is a walk on and will be another body in a year when they have been badly needed. Having said that, the article basically says she will be getting ready for next year so I'm not putting any unfair expectations on her.

I hear that if a scholarship spot had been available they would have brought in one of next year's scholarship guards but all 15 are given out. Covid didn't change the number of scholarships unfortunately.
Speaking of the Lane that is playing, Olivia was really good last weekend. She's developing very nicely it seems. 

I have not seen much of the women’s team this year. But it looks like the same issue that has been the case over the last few years.  They miss so many shots around the hoop.  I just cannot believe how many shots they miss inside 8 feet.  Even if they cut those misses by half. They may not be winning but they would be within single digits.  This really isn’t a new issue though. Some of the turnovers are so so frustrating too, which also has been a problem for several years. But thats why SDSU is where they are and UND sadly is where it is.   This is probably a 5 to 8 year project minimum, as I don’t believe there are any easy or quick solutions.  It may be quite ugly for the foreseeable future. 

1 hour ago, the green team said:

I have not seen much of the women’s team this year. But it looks like the same issue that has been the case over the last few years.  They miss so many shots around the hoop.  I just cannot believe how many shots they miss inside 8 feet.  Even if they cut those misses by half. They may not be winning but they would be within single digits.  This really isn’t a new issue though. Some of the turnovers are so so frustrating too, which also has been a problem for several years. But thats why SDSU is where they are and UND sadly is where it is.   This is probably a 5 to 8 year project minimum, as I don’t believe there are any easy or quick solutions.  It may be quite ugly for the foreseeable future. 

It's been ugly so more of the same.

I just want to say, I am a huge UND supporter. I graduated from UND and many family members have as well. We just have had really bad luck in sports for the last 3-4 years, with the exception of hockey. 
We just aren’t very good in a number of sports. Volleyball had a great season a few years ago but since the coach left it seems to have gone down hil. It pains me to say it but just an observation from someone who wants better for our Student athletes. Losing to the farm school 80 miles to the south of us, in any sport, is just unacceptable.