SiouxSports.com Forum

2020-2021 Season

SWSiouxMN

So many winnable games

so many leads lost

teams learned to zone us since guards haven’t shot very good so they could try double down

seems like they play hard just can’t get over that hump

there are some fun ladies to watch on this team 

I was just looking at the standings if Omaha should get two more wins yet this season other than North Dakota it would mean that for North Dakota to make the playoffs in Sioux falls they would need to sweep to just to reach number 8 seed. Omaha remaining games 1 with WIU, 2 North Dakota, 2 with Denver and 2 with Kansas city all the teams fighting to just get into the Summit tournament. Also all those teams will have played less games than us so we need to have more wins to get higher win percentage to qualify for the tournament. We could easily miss the tournament especially if it comes down to needing sweep on the road in omaha.

I watched SDSU and USD play this weekend we have alot of building to do to reach their level of basketball. These teams were are athletic and physical to say the least compared to us. Saturday's game was gem to watch two good teams play nose to nose game and how these teams can score and shoot both on inside and outside. They are both deep with talent and going to their benches doesn't mean fall off in their ability to shoot the basketball. Both of these teams top four guards can out shoot anyone of our guards at the present time. Also they are strong physically and in size but also quick enough to stay with their opposites especially USD. We will get to see that this coming weekend when they come to UND. I believe are front court players will be able to hold our own if they do not get in foul trouble protecting the paint from the their guards penetrating. The two South Dakota schools are where we were 25 years ago here in North Dakota with UND and NDSU having best teams and coaches in their conferences we have some work ahead of us if were going to catch them.

Head coaching position is posted.  Chaves says Mallory can apply if she so chooses.  I wouldn’t think they would have to post it if they were planning to offer it to her, or would they?  Not sure how an interim being offered the full time gig would have to play out.  Anyone else with some insight?

https://www.grandforksherald.com/sports/basketball/6885338-UND-posts-job-opening-for-head-womens-basketball-coach

I think this pretty much put hand writing on the wall that UND is going to look for new coach for next season. I got to believe Bernhard interview for this job has been this past year but with UND current record and us at best having 50/50 chance to make conference tournament i think UND wants to go in different direction. Positives for Bernhard has been she has had team still playing hard for her and she has been close in number of games this year but bottom line is you got to win more games than she has. Also the year she had to contend with with covid and injuries has hurt what she could have done to make changes in program. Also basically coaching staff remained same so i got to believe little if any new idea's or philosphies changed with the program. Also we still have several players that haven't been seen with the program for majority of the season and little said of it when we have been so short handed for most of the season. Also my impression since Brewster and even Bernhard is that they were never very open to public on what's happening like it some big dark secret they were going give away instead of just communicating to public and fans. I sure do hope we can keep number of girls on the team when we go through coaching change because we have number of very talented girls with right additions and new coaching we could rebuild very quickly and be a contender in Summit conference.  When things don't work like they have for last several years i find it sad because it effects numbers of people from our student athletes to coaches lives has big implications on future of these people as well as their families.