SiouxSports.com Forum

2020-2021 Season

SWSiouxMN

15 hours ago, ND-fan said:

The season is over and what failure of season it has been from start to finish this year. We have not improved enough to be confident in win with any team. We played top opponent at the beginning of the season short handed and maybe played as well as we did today. The positive today is that Borowicz showed by far she is our best guard on this team even only playing her first game of this season with major minutes. Zander again showed she can become dominant player but so far hasn't reached that level where she can give you consistent game. Jarnot is most baffling player she can play like one top conference players and then she has weekend like she had this weekend where she can't even hit the rim. I think its mental game with her and coaching change could make world of difference for her with another approach. I look at Leets this year and I don't think she totally bought into Bernhard game and what they are asking of her I don't think she has quickness to play that kind of game. I think they just wasted her talents this year. Now Fleecs and Lane the offense they were asked to play doesn't work without better guard play and to many times we found these players on perimeter instead of rebounding and putting it back up. I looked at this last game we did not run offense when we needed to control ball and get quality shot up especially in crunch times.  The last 4 minutes of the game when it was close we came down several possessions didn't run offensive set that would get us quality shot we tried to force something turned ball over or put up desperation shot thinking back on the season this has happened to many times in games. This why we lost so many close games because coaching should have put importance on quality possessions.  This giving up 4 to 5 possession at end of each halves is to big obstacle to win a game.  Say we get 40% result in score it means 5 to 8 points a game. How many games would have this made a huge difference  because we wouldn't had to foul to try to get ball back we would have been even or ahead in number of the games. This team if it is able to keep its talent and add couple of pieces could contend quite quickly with the right coaching. Bernhard season long interview for the job leaves little reason to hire on full time basis. Also if they go with new coach it should be his choice if he/or she wants to retain any of the coaching staff but i feel they will need to have fresh start or different approach. I think if i was coach looking to move up UND be good move there's talent here if you retain that talent and it has supported women's basketball very well in the past and there is active fan support if you put quality product on the floor. This is not program to build from ground up but one with right leadership can become one major player in mid-majors in women's basketball. Also the other positive is that with us done for season they can get actively looking for new coach instead waiting until the conference tournament is over. 

Mallory has been a great part of the program and like to give her a shot but she proved over and over she is not ready for the head coach position.  Was hoping that a Roebuck player would see adjustments needed on the fly but that has definitely not happened. Teams zone us and we still run a man offense with no passing to create open looks.  Our weak side was nonexistent all year long. Poor shooting usually follows poor shot selection.  We don’t move the ball quick enough to get good looks. At the end of the bison game, we needed a play to tie and we left our time out on the board rather than set up a plan for getting a 3 to tie.  We had 15 turnovers in the first half against South Dakota throwing inside against a d that dared us to shoot outside.  We called one time out the first half. The 4 time outs saved don’t matter when you are down 25 to a good team.  Game over.   We drive but don’t see the player wide open on the weak side when defense rotates.  We continually get beat defensively not rotating to the weak side block.  Again no adjustment. Difference between assistant and head coach is you have to see what is happening and make those decisions in real time.  That did not happen this year.  Hope Mallory will learn and make a great coach someday. She was clearly not ready to do that this year...

I think she stays.

Anyone deserves a first season in something OTHER than the year we suffer from a pandemic. How many players were lost, how many times did they suit up less than 8?

I hate excuses, but it was a pandemic year. In my mind it doesn't justify canning the coach. By no means was it a perfect season otherwise, but I bet they keep her for next year.

It is too bad she will be judged on a Covid year. No chance to recruit for this season after being named as the world goes into restricted lockdowns. Would hope that getting a year under fire would allow her to get a chance for a ‘normal’ season, but seems like it will not happen. Wonder if getting some of her own recruits in and a year of experience would make a difference. Unfortunate that it appears she will not get the opportunity.

5 hours ago, SiouxFan100 said:

Do we wait for a coach to grow into a position? Bernhard will probably be much better three years from now. Where could the team be three years from now with an experienced new coach next year? Nothing is for sure but I think we would be better switching now.

So many tough questions and conflicting views. 

I forget who the coach was but I'm thinking John Cheney, had the following discussion at a coaching clinic:

Attendee: Coach, what do you use for a press break?

Coach: I give it to my point guard and have everyone else get out of the way.

A: What if that doesn't work?

C: I get a better point guard.

That isn't a reflection on Reinke, who did a really good job for someone who really isn't a point guard.

Recruiting is the biggest part of the college basketball game. If the current Head Coach and staff can identify and then get the right players then the team will be better. It feels like the former coach got a little lazy and recruited a whole bunch of the same type of guard. You can't win with 8 identical guards.

Seems like from the get go the current staff was very aggressive in their search for players. 

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Farawayfan said:

... It feels like the former coach got a little lazy and recruited a whole bunch of the same type of guard. You can't win with 8 identical guards.

Seems like from the get go the current staff was very aggressive in their search for players. 

this ^^^^^

I hope Mallory does apply, I think she deserves to be looked at.

‘I’ve been critical of her coaching decisions but we don’t know what goes on at practice or who was healthy enough to play.

don’t know what the players think of her.

so many ladies playing a position they weren’t supposed to.

‘I am impressed with Zander but she isn’t a point guard but she does  have the ball handling abilities.

‘if it’s a new coach what players will be gone?

27 minutes ago, Kab said:

I hope Mallory does apply, I think she deserves to be looked at.

‘I’ve been critical of her coaching decisions but we don’t know what goes on at practice or who was healthy enough to play.

don’t know what the players think of her.

so many ladies playing a position they weren’t supposed to.

‘I am impressed with Zander but she isn’t a point guard but she does  have the ball handling abilities.

‘if it’s a new coach what players will be gone?

And if it's a new coach which recruits that signed actually come?

A better question will be which recruits will the new coach want to keep because he may access we may need different needs for this team. I believe this coming year is going to be very interesting year in that with additional year eligibility there may more players available to play than we ever saw before. The reasons for this their are going to be alot of grad transfer available because lot of schools because of financial reasons will not be able to carry these additional players or schools will keep their current players but not offer scholarship to recent high school graduates. My thinking is that if they keep players for this additional year and do it for one sport then they are going to have to do it for all their sports and when you add it up majority of schools will not have resources to do this. I may be wrong on this but this years decision is going separate number of schools for next several years because of who has financial resources to keep these additional players.

15 hours ago, ND-fan said:

A better question will be which recruits will the new coach want to keep because he may access we may need different needs for this team. I believe this coming year is going to be very interesting year in that with additional year eligibility there may more players available to play than we ever saw before. The reasons for this their are going to be alot of grad transfer available because lot of schools because of financial reasons will not be able to carry these additional players or schools will keep their current players but not offer scholarship to recent high school graduates. My thinking is that if they keep players for this additional year and do it for one sport then they are going to have to do it for all their sports and when you add it up majority of schools will not have resources to do this. I may be wrong on this but this years decision is going separate number of schools for next several years because of who has financial resources to keep these additional players.

The number of scholarships for a team will not change. Still 15 scholarships for WBB. 

On 2/23/2021 at 6:22 AM, Farawayfan said:

The number of scholarships for a team will not change. Still 15 scholarships for WBB. 

As I understand it, all winter sports will get a one-time (one-season) waiver on the scholarship limits, but only for a team's current seniors that choose to stay and play an additional year at the current school.  So for UND's women's team you have three seniors.  If any of them decide to come back and play an additional season, UND would be able to increase the number of scholarships by up to three. for only next season.

I watched the senior spotlight for your team at halfttime on Midco, and they were focusing on Fleecs and Reinke.  Both were saying they would miss the team, so I guess either they are choosing not to come back, or UND isn't going to pay for additional scholarships?  Also, what about Leet?

4 minutes ago, kiyoat said:

As I understand it, all winter sports will get a one-time (one-season) waiver on the scholarship limits, but only for a team's current seniors that choose to stay and play an additional year at the current school.  So for UND's women's team you have three seniors.  If any of them decide to come back and play an additional season, UND would be able to increase the number of scholarships by up to three. for only next season.

I watched the senior spotlight for your team at halfttime on Midco, and they were focusing on Fleecs and Reinke.  Both were saying they would miss the team, so I guess either they are choosing not to come back, or UND isn't going to pay for additional scholarships?  Also, what about Leet?

I think they are both off to medical school.  Not sure on Leets plan

13 hours ago, kiyoat said:

You are absolutely correct!

From https://www.ncsasports.org/coronavirus-sports/ncaa-eligibility-coronavirus:
"There are two factors that control the availability of scholarships at the D1 and D2 levels. The 
NCAA scholarship limits per sport and whether or not the school is fully funded. For D1 fall sports, seniors who have scholarships and who will be using the extra year of eligibility will not count against the team’s scholarship limit for the 2021-22 season. 

This does not mean a college will go over the limit of maximum scholarships. Each school will decide how many scholarships they can fund for each team depending on their budget. In a recent survey, 80% of college coaches said they do not plan on cutting scholarships as part of their budget cutting measures." 
Also, wouldn't a returning 5th year's (Leet's) scholarship be guaranteed for the year, once offered, just like any other? Maybe no one has an answer because this is all new.

7 hours ago, Farawayfan said:

Also, wouldn't a returning 5th year's (Leet's) scholarship be guaranteed for the year, once offered, just like any other? Maybe no one has an answer because this is all new.

No idea, but I can't think of a reason a new coach wouldn't want to have an extra senior player with her size and skills on the roster.  She wouldn't be taking away a roster spot, weather she gets minutes or not.  Unless she is some kind of bad-attitude diva (not likely), that's a no-brainer to me.  Bummer the other two aren't staying.