SiouxSports.com Forum

2020-2021 Season

SWSiouxMN

Its pretty bad when your best outside shooter is your center for the team. I watched tonight's game for the most part we were not taking shots it was just throwing basketball at the rim hoping it would go in or one of other front line could rebound it put it back up for layup. I also thought were beginning to see where this team is starting to give up and i never see where they are having fun on the court. Second i wonder what were looking for on offense were not working ball it seems to get person decent shot at basket. Also were not setting screens effectively either setter is not proper position or person for who screen is for is not using screen to get free from the defender. I can go on but our guard play is terrible i think our guards that played tonight went 7 for 27 for 26%  and one guard i think of more as forward than guard had best percentage. Also our guards dribble and hold ball to much instead of passing making the defense move where our front line with proper screening and posting should get a look inside but again i don't think we have guard that can hit outside kick out when middle is jammed up. I think best guard if she can get setup is Garvey but she's has weaknesses on defense so your caught in catch 22. Right now they have so few options at guard when you don't have Borowicz, Kepler, and Anderson all out and this new Lane girl not ready to play yet. It looks to me this team is going to be challenged to get a win this season. I look at Western ILL and look how they pushed South Dakota this weekend were not close to showing we can do that so i see where we could loose those two. Then following that is going out to Denver never easy place to play and reading about them they have excellent guard play so how do we match up with them. Then it comes down to Omaha other team without any wins in conference but were playing on  the road if we haven't won a game by then we will have probably sweep to play in Sioux Falls because split i believe would go to them even if they are winless because they would have higher win percentage because of playing fewer games than us. I believe we will be fighting for win this season in next three weeks and i sure hope it comes sooner than later for longer it goes harder is going to be to get that win.

7 minutes ago, Farawayfan said:

It's W weekend for the Hawks. Gonna get that elusive first one Friday in a close game and then, with the weight lifted, they will win by a larger margin Saturday. 
It's gonna be fun.

It needs to happen in the next two weeks or it won't happen at all.   I'm not convinced they win in Omaha. 

1 hour ago, SWSiouxMN said:

It needs to happen in the next two weeks or it won't happen at all.   I'm not convinced they win in Omaha. 

Is Omaha a tough place to play? Even with half capacity fans? I'm assuming they will have half or less.
I feel like if the UND ladies get rolling a little we will see more consistent play which could equal a little win streak. 6 of the last 8 games on the schedule look like pretty even matchups. 

13 minutes ago, Farawayfan said:

Is Omaha a tough place to play? Even with half capacity fans? I'm assuming they will have half or less.
I feel like if the UND ladies get rolling a little we will see more consistent play which could equal a little win streak. 6 of the last 8 games on the schedule look like pretty even matchups. 

Omaha was in the basement last year but they are improved.  Not a tough place but the pressure of going into that without any wins would be big.  They barely beat them twice last year.

They need one badly this weekend.  It’s time. 

2 hours ago, NewUndFan said:

Western Illinois beat NDSU one game this year.  I think the Hawks are going to be lucky to win one this weekend.  They dont play Omaha until the last series of the year.  This could determine which team makes the tournament or not.. 

Hadn't seen that. They turned around the next day and lost by 30+ too. Have faith!

Western Ill. looking at their team will be tough match up again for UND because we don't have the guards to match up with them. They have several smaller guards and couple of larger long guards of 5 10" and looking at their stats this team has four five people that can hit outside 3 so we are going to be challenged defensively with them. If they have poor night of shooting we would have a  good chance of beating them but they always when we played in past they have been very quick team and i see they also have one post player that has been scoring quite well even with poor shooting if they drive and dish to post still may be tough to get stops. Like all the games this year its going to come down to guard play if we are quick enough to defend and can find somebody to hit few open looks. I wish we could just see this team if it had couple of quick guards that could score both from outside and from driving you would not believe how good they could be with our front line of girls. I believe they would be challenging for conference title with the right coaching.

On 1/27/2021 at 8:25 PM, ND-fan said:

Western Ill. looking at their team will be tough match up again for UND because we don't have the guards to match up with them. They have several smaller guards and couple of larger long guards of 5 10" and looking at their stats this team has four five people that can hit outside 3 so we are going to be challenged defensively with them. If they have poor night of shooting we would have a  good chance of beating them but they always when we played in past they have been very quick team and i see they also have one post player that has been scoring quite well even with poor shooting if they drive and dish to post still may be tough to get stops. Like all the games this year its going to come down to guard play if we are quick enough to defend and can find somebody to hit few open looks. I wish we could just see this team if it had couple of quick guards that could score both from outside and from driving you would not believe how good they could be with our front line of girls. I believe they would be challenging for conference title with the right coaching.

Sounds like former HC got lazy and lost interest and that theory seems to pan out with a lot of the same type of guards on the roster. 
Not sure who brought Wallace in (given timing of transfer portal and Brew's dismissal sounds like Coach Bernhard did) but she seems to be one type of guard you mentioned that's missing. She would have made a big difference when she got settled in.

I figure you have to give a new HC a chance to put their stamp on a roster. Regardless if they were here before as an assistant or associate, recruiting is ultimately on the HC. 

• Upvote 1