SiouxSports.com Forum

2020-2021 Season

SWSiouxMN

Bernhard got out coached today she played right into KC  hands playing her starting 5 all the way for the game. When your up by 12 to 15  points  should have played her bench some resting her players. KC basically worked at wearing them down as game went along.  I don't understand not using your bench more than she did you have to know they are going to be spent by end of the game or in foul trouble. She had more of bench against NDSU and again same thing happened she came to end of the game with wore out players not shooting well and step slow having hard time getting to the basketball. Second is should they have looked at lifting redshirt to just add another player available especially when two of your subs are front court people.  This appears to me this is just going to be lost year for women's basketball burning up eligibility of number of our players when we were close to having competitive team if we had point guard that could create offense set up our big front court.  I haven't given up on Bernhard but I don't see yet where she learning from her mistakes and she got to let the  bench  play and they will make mistakes but if you don't you'll never develop team that can play for the long haul. This whole preseason she has played at least 4 players near 30 minutes a game and next  3 players near 25 minutes a game not way to build up a bench you can count on.  I look at our schedule  playing ORU at there home is not easy place to win a game, NDSU is going to be tough win even at home, and then we go SDSU which I don't even think will be close games. So we could easily go 0 - 13 not what is expected from UND women's basketball and its going to be hard sell to public to continue with this coach if this happens.  This is not all on Bernhard but to sell yourself you need to start showing improvement in the program  some this just communicating to the public. The AD office should have been here also helping but I get feeling with this AD has fallen in love with Hockey that is what is sold to the public but not all people live and breath hockey. Und was once basketball powerhouse in upper midwest especially in women's basketball.

• Upvote 1

On 1/2/2021 at 6:05 PM, ND-fan said:

Bernhard got out coached today she played right into KC  hands playing her starting 5 all the way for the game. When your up by 12 to 15  points  should have played her bench some resting her players. KC basically worked at wearing them down as game went along. ...

...This is not all on Bernhard but to sell yourself you need to start showing improvement in the program  some this just communicating to the public. The AD office should have been here also helping but I get feeling with this AD has fallen in love with Hockey that is what is sold to the public but not all people live and breath hockey. Und was once basketball powerhouse in upper midwest especially in women's basketball. 

Some players have showed marked improvement, especially defensively. I think they are the ones who are getting the bulk of the minutes. If you have players left over from previous HC that weren't players the current HC would have brought in, because of being less skilled, less athletic or having a lower bball iq, playing them becomes very difficult. If you have a chance to ride 6 players and get a win right now you pretty much have to do it. 

I get what you are saying and squeezing those extra seconds out of the bench is like walking a fine line. I guess what I'm saying is that I don't feel she got outcoached so much as she had trouble with lack of depth of talent. 

43 minutes ago, Farawayfan said:

Some players have showed marked improvement, especially defensively. I think they are the ones who are getting the bulk of the minutes. If you have players left over from previous HC that weren't players the current HC would have brought in, because of being less skilled, less athletic or having a lower bball iq, playing them becomes very difficult. If you have a chance to ride 6 players and get a win right now you pretty much have to do it. 

I get what you are saying and squeezing those extra seconds out of the bench is like walking a fine line. I guess what I'm saying is that I don't feel she got outcoached so much as she had trouble with lack of depth of talent. 

Uh, she was the head assistant who recruited the girls on the roster.  Not like she just got here.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

I have not seen any improvements from the players either.  In fact I think they have taken a step backwards. These same players looked better and won more games last year with basically the same roster.  They only lost one senior from last year.  I get some players are hurt but we don't look good at all out there.   I also agree these players were recruited by this coach and that shouldn't be used as an excuse. 

Mallory if she new that these players were not going to play for her should have then talked to these players about there future with the program see if they could move on  or  found alternative for their scholarships to where she could bring in a players that would meet the program needs. Yes she should have known what their abilities were being here for 8 years as assistant coach. The front line talent on this team is above average and could even be better if they had good point guard. I even as fan can see the weakness on this team is in their guard play. A top of line point guard would open this offense up on this team but you can't have guards that are shooting 25 to 35%  from the outside because what's happens everyone just doubles down on bigs inside to where we struggle offensively. When we shoot the ball effectively we become pretty decent team which has shown up in all of our games but we can't have quarter where we shoot 25% less for whole quarter you'll never win any games to much so we end up with 33% percent shooting for the game. I just looked at our statistics  as team were shooting 36% for the year and from three point line were shooting 29%  you can't win basketball games with that kind of shooting no matter how well you are playing defense. Teams against us are shooting almost 41% from the field and 35% from three point line. A comparison by other teams in league is as follows:

Teams                            FG%               3PT%                              OPP FG%              3PTS%                    PTS per Game

Denver                            39.7                33.6                                45.2                       34.2                         69.3

KC                                    42.8                36.0                                40.7                      32.9                         73.0

NDSU                               43.2               40.3                                 38.5                      24.7                          74.2

OMAHA                            30.9               24.6                                  41.3                      31.9                           51.2

ORU                                  31.0                26.5                                  41.9                      34.3                          57.1

USD                                  44.6                33.5                                  36.4                     33.8                          77.1

SDSU                                43.2                33.1                                   37.8                     27.3                            69.0

Western ILL                      37.2                 28.1                                   43.3                    37.4                             65.1

UND                                  36.0                 29.2                                   40.7                   34.8                             67.0

The above statistics show about middle of pack in Summit on defense and  near the bottom on offense not a good place to be in for the rest of the year.  Also of teams that are lower tier on the above chart we only have Western ILL. at home so even where we are better statistically we will have to play them on the road. This is why i think we could wait long time to see our first victory for the year and longer we go harder will to get that victory.  yes were not shut down team defensively but worst is we used to be one leaders on offense with defense were playing now would have added up to more wins. In todays basketball you need to be at least 32 to 35% from the 3pt line and were far from that now.

4 minutes ago, Farawayfan said:

Wouldn't Brewster have had the final say in recruiting?
Need better shooters for sure. 
Wallace going down certainly hurt the pg position but agreed there too, that a pg is needed.

As head coach, I imagine Brewster had the final say in all important decisions regarding the program. Which is why we should clean house and start over from scratch.

• Upvote 1

I only watched the first quarter, but there's no question that if all your players had been available for that game, you would have won.  You could certainly use some shooters, as others have said, but saying you need to clean house is a bit of hyperbole IMO.  You have some talented forwards.  I was really impressed with Zander, and she's just a sophomore.

Get the right coach in there, a few transfer guards, a nice recruiting class and you will be fine.  Just my opinion.  Plenty of talent in the region for all the Dakota 4 to be competitive.  Hell, the turnaround at NDSU was quite shocking considering what they were a couple of years ago.  You wouldn't have to clean house as much as he did.

I agree with you UND player make up is quite good especially the front line and it looks like we have recruited couple of more front line talent to come in. The problem is we haven't recruited a top of line point guard. Several of our guards would make good off guard player if that was their role but we continue to try to use them as point guard and here they are not quick enough and have ability to create or make a difficult shot on their own. I can't say how much this team would change with top of line point guard everyone of other players would become that much better because  if we had a true point guard.  It would also make it much easier to coach this team if we had couple of point guards. This is where i fault this coaching staff they should have put priority on finding good point guard either by grad transfer or traditional recruit with four year commitment. I would have done both this past year even if was hard choice of having to let scholarship player go because your future as coach  for this team will come to down to this decision. I don't know if its failure to judge guard talent or if it is philosophy that scoring comes from the front line and what ever you get from guards is just bonus. The problem the game has changed with 3pt shot statistics show the outside shot has become more value and in turn has helped the inside game.  In essence the focal point of the game has become the point guard you can really see it at men's level of the game and also the big front player that can hit the outside shot. We do have that ability with Leet but she is never free because we don't have point guard to leave her free to take the shot.  I still have hope Bernhard would change but i feel it slipping away and even if she would come out say what needs to be done to change this team would give her time to  make changes but i don't see it happening.

• Upvote 1

Zander did a good job taking over as point guard. It is not easy to go from forward to point guard in college.  I doubt if she played much point guard at Mandan although I don't know this since I live out of ND.  Having Lane back also helps the team on the boards.

17 minutes ago, Jerry said:

Zander did a good job taking over as point guard. It is not easy to go from forward to point guard in college.  I doubt if she played much point guard at Mandan although I don't know this since I live out of ND.  Having Lane back also helps the team on the boards.

#11 and #15........anyone? Anyone??