SiouxSports.com Forum

2020-2021 Season

SWSiouxMN

3 TOs left down 4.... 2 minutes......can't even get a shot off.   

2 TOs left down 5...1 minute... No one wants to shoot and we wasted 15-20 seconds at volleyball line..

Would've liked a timeout by coach to set something up and calm them down either time. But instead she waits to call TO down 9 with 14 seconds left to set up a lob for a 2 pt that was picked off..

Great effort by the girls today for like 36 minutes....1st and last 2 minutes cost the game.  Real tough to let it slip away, but tomorrow's another shot. 

Bernhard i will give her credit that these girls play hard for her but our Philosophy on how were going to play the game is so predictable it hasn't changed even though the game has changed in last 5 years. Val Sussex color announcer for tv and former coach i thought basically outlined the problem for UND with her color comments durning the game in that they just believe if they rebound and pound it inside that will win the game. South Dakota which we match up the most in the Summit even showed that you can't win many games with that style of basketball. Today we had better shooting from the perimeter by Zander and Jarnot which finally opened up the game for our front line people. Today you need to have that outside shooting because of the three which more than offsets inside scoring and rebounding edge you may have if you don't have it and opens inside game enough that shooting percentages improve to start to offset the three point shot. The advent of three has made outside shooting guard most valued position to where it was before was big center that controlled the game from inside. That is why offensive scoring has gone up because coaches have figured out the percentages good shooting guards are like what we experienced with tall dominating centers for years.  I like  Reinke for her work ethic and she does play good defense but when i hear Val Sussex say she is invaluable to the team i just cringe because playing her at point guard like we have been is such deficit for us it one reason we have lost so many games this year.  She should have been coached for improvement in her shooting because i don't think it has improved since coming to North Dakota and i know this year she is playing with broken hand but look at the number for her on offense compared to your opponents. Today she scored 2 points 1-4 shooting 0-2 from 3 and 0-2 from free throws. Now compare her opponent Korngable she was 6-11, 3-5 for threes, and 1-3 for free throws for total of 16 points. Otherwise both were similar in other statistics but at point guard position we were down 14 points and we lost the game by 9 points.  I think if you look we have had severe deficit out our point guard position all year on scoring basis and yes we had several girls hurt but we have gotten one of our point guards back last couple of weeks but we have seen hardly any playing time increase for her who was recruited for offensive ability. These are things that i see why we have been close all year but value of scoring from point guard at has been undervalued here at UND for last 4 or 5 years.

On 2/13/2021 at 8:04 PM, ND-fan said:

Bernhard i will give her credit that these girls play hard for her but our Philosophy on how were going to play the game is so predictable it hasn't changed even though the game has changed in last 5 years. Val Sussex color announcer for tv and former coach i thought basically outlined the problem for UND with her color comments durning the game in that they just believe if they rebound and pound it inside that will win the game. South Dakota which we match up the most in the Summit even showed that you can't win many games with that style of basketball. Today we had better shooting from the perimeter by Zander and Jarnot which finally opened up the game for our front line people. Today you need to have that outside shooting because of the three which more than offsets inside scoring and rebounding edge you may have if you don't have it and opens inside game enough that shooting percentages improve to start to offset the three point shot. The advent of three has made outside shooting guard most valued position to where it was before was big center that controlled the game from inside. That is why offensive scoring has gone up because coaches have figured out the percentages good shooting guards are like what we experienced with tall dominating centers for years.  I like  Reinke for her work ethic and she does play good defense but when i hear Val Sussex say she is invaluable to the team i just cringe because playing her at point guard like we have been is such deficit for us it one reason we have lost so many games this year.  She should have been coached for improvement in her shooting because i don't think it has improved since coming to North Dakota and i know this year she is playing with broken hand but look at the number for her on offense compared to your opponents. Today she scored 2 points 1-4 shooting 0-2 from 3 and 0-2 from free throws. Now compare her opponent Korngable she was 6-11, 3-5 for threes, and 1-3 for free throws for total of 16 points. Otherwise both were similar in other statistics but at point guard position we were down 14 points and we lost the game by 9 points.  I think if you look we have had severe deficit out our point guard position all year on scoring basis and yes we had several girls hurt but we have gotten one of our point guards back last couple of weeks but we have seen hardly any playing time increase for her who was recruited for offensive ability. These are things that i see why we have been close all year but value of scoring from point guard at has been undervalued here at UND for last 4 or 5 years.

I figure the most coach-controllable thing with the same players from a previous year/HC is the defensive effort and result you get game in and game out. Changing defensive philosophy takes time and they seem to be catching on.

They gave up 6 less ppg this year in Summit League compared to last year. In the regular season games last year v SDU they gave up 93 and 76 points in 46 and 28 point losses. This year they surrendered 72 and 64 and both games were battles. 

I still think the pg that they brought in from Evansville is the piece that you are talking about that was missing. She would have been a huge help in the 3 ot games and the 5 others they lost by less than 10 (all in league play). 

I feel like they are pretty close to being a contender. A few breaks this year and they'd be looking at a 3 v 6 or 4 v 5 game at the tourney. I want to see Bernhard bring in her own players. I wonder what the kids they recruited are like? Maybe she recruited players who can shoot it better? She did say that they had placed high priority on recruiting.  Will they even still come if she isn't here?

Maybe that should go on the recruiting thread?

What you say about her bringing in her players is injustice Bernhard has had with title interm coach because she has had full responsibility but not total freedom yet to make changes if she so chooses. I think she is learning but here at division I level the time frame is quite short without some success. The point guard she did bring may have helped but few games she did play at beginning of season she had not showed yet she could be that dynamic point guard that could change what was happening on the floor. This is what i see as difference for UND compared to the South Dakota Schools look at South Dakota State they have the  Selland girl that shoots from outside or go inside, and then add Irwin and tueninck both players that can hit the outside shot. I know they list Selland and Irwin as forwards but they play guard positions more than traditional forward. USD has similar scenario in they have Korngable and Lamb both playing guard positions and able to hit outside shot as well as drive and score. UND have couple of people that shown they can do this but not consistently yet in Zander and Jarnot  but they need that guard that can do this i believe consistently we will see big turn around on this team. Our posts showed this weekend they can play with the elite and are getting better at their roles.  

Bernhard to be considered for the coaching job must win this coming weekend and that means a sweep not a split but sweep to at least make the post season conference tournament. Without that i don't see how AD could choose her for the job because fan base are already looking at her season performance on wins and losses and having problems with that.  I believe that Bernhard could help herself some by being more public and selling her self and the team to public even when things have not gone well making fans apart of the team struggles to make it like whole community is part of getting back to one of the elites in the conference.  Her counter part on men's side does much better job of this and something she should take some lessons on. Matter of fact look at his really first recruiting class the biggest add is the young Freshman point guard he has brought in and how he changes his team. Also his group of players he had was having poor outside shooting but look at this past weekend how shooting has improved over the season and this we have not seen this on the Women's side. But getting back to Bernhard the AD is the one that has to know real inside scoop if see deserves to continue to coach this team and if she is will be right fit to get this program turned around. If he believes in her and knows more than us on outside i can see how she could be hired or not. I can be critical of things but i will admit i don't know all inside and outside facts but i as fan like to point out negatives and positives of this team from what i can observe. Even when i am critical of team i still want the best for the team. All of these players from what i can tell are way above average students, people, and players and will be winners in what ever they want to do in their lives. I think this team is much better than record shows and talent is much better than they have played but it maybe that with all things that have gone on there hasn't been enough time to get all changes made and showing this on the basket ball court.

1 hour ago, SiouxFan100 said:

Though it’s tough to be overly confident with our two win team we have had spurts of good play. I agree we win both and we win by at least 20 both games.

You have to be kidding me :silly: We are going to be lucky to come out with two wins let alone 20 point wins.  :whistling:

Well we just lost first game of the series any hope of post season is they have to win tomorrow and then hope that Omaha looses out their final games of the season.  It was not the effort i thought we get especially loosing by double digits. Another game of poor shooting you can't win games when you shoot in mid 30's and then number of fouls we gave up they shot 19 more free throws some was us trying to get ball back at the end of game but even before that shot number more Free throws were significant. I wish I could say something positive but this team i will say one thing is they have consistently played about same type of game for whole season. They can look really good for 2 to 3 qtrs. but when they are bad they are really bad and most of it goes back to shooting. It was good see Borowicz get some additional time and she did respond with scoring. I am afraid the season ends tomorrow with another loss which i guess in one way would put us out of our misery because i don't think we have shot in Double toothpicks of beating SDSU.

The season is over and what failure of season it has been from start to finish this year. We have not improved enough to be confident in win with any team. We played top opponent at the beginning of the season short handed and maybe played as well as we did today. The positive today is that Borowicz showed by far she is our best guard on this team even only playing her first game of this season with major minutes. Zander again showed she can become dominant player but so far hasn't reached that level where she can give you consistent game. Jarnot is most baffling player she can play like one top conference players and then she has weekend like she had this weekend where she can't even hit the rim. I think its mental game with her and coaching change could make world of difference for her with another approach. I look at Leets this year and I don't think she totally bought into Bernhard game and what they are asking of her I don't think she has quickness to play that kind of game. I think they just wasted her talents this year. Now Fleecs and Lane the offense they were asked to play doesn't work without better guard play and to many times we found these players on perimeter instead of rebounding and putting it back up. I looked at this last game we did not run offense when we needed to control ball and get quality shot up especially in crunch times.  The last 4 minutes of the game when it was close we came down several possessions didn't run offensive set that would get us quality shot we tried to force something turned ball over or put up desperation shot thinking back on the season this has happened to many times in games. This why we lost so many close games because coaching should have put importance on quality possessions.  This giving up 4 to 5 possession at end of each halves is to big obstacle to win a game.  Say we get 40% result in score it means 5 to 8 points a game. How many games would have this made a huge difference  because we wouldn't had to foul to try to get ball back we would have been even or ahead in number of the games. This team if it is able to keep its talent and add couple of pieces could contend quite quickly with the right coaching. Bernhard season long interview for the job leaves little reason to hire on full time basis. Also if they go with new coach it should be his choice if he/or she wants to retain any of the coaching staff but i feel they will need to have fresh start or different approach. I think if i was coach looking to move up UND be good move there's talent here if you retain that talent and it has supported women's basketball very well in the past and there is active fan support if you put quality product on the floor. This is not program to build from ground up but one with right leadership can become one major player in mid-majors in women's basketball. Also the other positive is that with us done for season they can get actively looking for new coach instead waiting until the conference tournament is over.