SiouxSports.com Forum

2020-21 Football Season

bincitysioux

Wow.

If Otis (only possibly?), skokna and Mitchell are the best they can offer from the backfield I’m going to be majorly concerned. Hopefully the OL is much better this year because they’re going to need all the help they can get. Seems like a pretty average D2 backfield to me. 

who’s next to leave? 

4 minutes ago, OgieOgilthorpe said:

Wow.

If Otis (only possibly?), skokna and Mitchell are the best they can offer from the backfield I’m going to be majorly concerned. Hopefully the OL is much better this year because they’re going to need all the help they can get. Seems like a pretty average D2 backfield to me. 

who’s next to leave? 

Was McKinney really what made this backfield? I don’t think so. If Otis is able to go, he showed some huge flashes his freshman year. Skokna looked really good last year too. Mitchell was pretty highly touted. Gee is still around too I believe. I don’t know maybe McKinney was seeing less touches this year. Would have really helped his game if he figured out catching the ball. 

• Upvote 2

25 minutes ago, OgieOgilthorpe said:

Wow.

who’s next to leave? 

Skokna had multiple D1 offers as did. Mitchell, but you’re right, D2 talent for sure.

• Upvote 2

I don’t think he made the backfield but he seemed to really fit what Danny wants to do with the offense.  Get athletes the ball in space.   Was one of our only home run threats last year.   Unless he plans to go D2 it seems odd he would transfer for only one season.  

36 minutes ago, UND1983 said:

Head scratcher for sure but he can do what he feels is best.  Only has two years remaining and has already redshirted.

Randomly ran into his dad at Northern Arizona two seasons ago.  Based on his dad's unhappiness with how he was being used I was anxious that he might leave before last season.  His dad thought he should be getting the ball 25-30 times a game.

Just now, Siouxperman8 said:

Randomly ran into his dad at Northern Arizona two seasons ago.  Based on his dad's unhappiness with how he was being used I was anxious that he might leave before last season.  His dad thought he should be getting the ball 25-30 times a game.

That’s what every dad wants for their kid. There’s only one ball and under 100 plays. The Randy Ratio didn’t exactly work and that was with the greatest football player of all time.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Siouxperman8 said:

That really doesn't surprise me. He's a good player but not a 25-30/game player. Plus he's shown he doesn't have the durability for that.

2 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

That’s what every dad wants for their kid. There’s only one ball and under 100 plays. The Randy Ratio didn’t exactly work and that was with the greatest football player of all time.

His dad told me he had called Bubba directly offering that input.  I know he called Shannon Schweigert also asking him to get the same message to Bubba.  Didn't seem too grounded in reality.   I agree that he would have had difficulty physically with the pounding he would have taken.

2 minutes ago, Siouxperman8 said:

His dad told me he had called Bubba directly offering that input.  I know he called Shannon Schweigert also asking him to get the same message to Bubba.  Didn't seem too grounded in reality.   I agree that he would have had difficulty physically with the pounding he would have taken.

Bottom line, if he could catch he would have been getting the ball all over the field. There is a reason they had to move him back to RB. Sucks losing anyone but the door is always wide open for anyone who doesn’t want to be here. I hope he lands on his feet and finds an offense that suits him.

Hopefully he changes his mind but if not, oh well I guess. He had good straight-line speed, but ran pretty tall and lacked elusiveness from what I saw.

Seems to be a lot of transfer portal action nationwide this year. I wonder if players are trying to get closer to home or if they're just feeling secluded and want the feeling of being recruited again. 

15 minutes ago, Feff said:

That really doesn't surprise me. He's a good player but not a 25-30/game player. Plus he's shown he doesn't have the durability for that.

"shown"...he never was given the spotlight to "show" what he might have had....

any touches that dalton gee got last year should have gone to cam imo

1 hour ago, OgieOgilthorpe said:

Wow.

who’s next to leave? 

I'm sorry, was Mckinney really a game changer? Skokna and Mitchell both had several offers, which doesn't mean anything except that they have plenty of potential. Skokna showed flashes as a true freshman, and I believe mitchell had some FBS offers.

I guess we will see when the season starts, but I think the run game will be far more dependent on play calling and o line play than RB talent.

25 minutes ago, siouxfan512 said:

I'm sorry, was Mckinney really a game changer? Skokna and Mitchell both had several offers, which doesn't mean anything except that they have plenty of potential. Skokna showed flashes as a true freshman, and I believe mitchell had some FBS offers.

I guess we will see when the season starts, but I think the run game will be far more dependent on play calling and o line play than RB talent.

Skokna and Mitchell seem to be somewhat similar backs as McKinney, as in they are all smaller and pretty quick.  I think Cam might be the fastest of them though, but having Skokna and Mitchell certainly dampens the impact of McKinney leaving.  That said, I don't know why Danny didn't use him on the sweep last year.  I'm not sure if he even got the ball once on a sweep, he probably did I just don't remember, but it was few and far between.  That was one of the few things Rudy did right....was give it to Cam on the sweep.  It seemed like easy money, I don't know why Danny didn't use him like that, truly mind baffling.   I think McKinney had the talent to get the ball more than he did (certainly not the 20-25 times a game), I'm not too surprised by him looking to go somewhere he gets the ball more.  They way things were going for him, he probably saw himself getting 5 our less touches each game going forward and wanted to be more involved.  Good luck to him.  

1 hour ago, Siouxperman8 said:

Wish the kid well, think he could have had an impact in the offense this year. Best of luck to him. But why does your comment sound familiar.....

Oh yeah:

On 10/8/2019 at 8:12 PM, RobThomas said:

Longtime fan looking why do you think McKinney isn't getting reps. It just seems like it's something more to his lack of touches. Think it's personal?

On 11/27/2019 at 10:33 PM, RobThomas said:

McKinney is a humble young man. Because they don't give him the respect he deserves. He makes plays with limited touches. He is the most talented player on the team. We are not in this situation without his performance against UNC. McKinney performance get swept under the rug.. 

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

Wish the kid well, think he could have had an impact in the offense this year. Best of luck to him. But why does your comment sound familiar.....

Oh yeah:

Facepalm City.  Some parents don't want to know the truth or are not being told the truth about their kid's ability.  Plus he is hurt constantly and sits out weeks at a time.  

• Upvote 2

More and more athletes are committing to "playing" for a program and university.  Less are committing "to" the program and university.  When they are not playing enough, they look to committ to "playing" for someone else.  Guys who want to be at UND, be it legacy, top choice school or truly committed will be content to fit in whereever they can to make the team better.  Guys who don't care whose uniform they wear, will leave. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, Norhsidepride said:

More and more athletes are committing to "playing" for a program and university.  Less are committing "to" the program and university.  When they are not playing enough, they look to committ to "playing" for someone else.  Guys who want to be at UND, be it legacy, top choice school or truly committed will be content to fit in whereever they can to make the team better.  Guys who don't care whose uniform they wear, will leave. 

and that's ok.  it is how it works :)

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Norhsidepride said:

and that's ok.  it is how it works :)

Every year for every team there is a moment for the underclassmen where the reality sets in for college football. They’re no longer being recruited and they’re mostly at the bottom of the depth chart. Some react with humility and work ethic. Others form a victim attitude. Consistently the first group rises to the top and the other either takes a while for things to click or they fizzle out. 

13 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

Every year for every team there is a moment for the underclassmen where the reality sets in for college football. They’re no longer being recruited and they’re mostly at the bottom of the depth chart. Some react with humility and work ethic. Others form a victim attitude. Consistently the first group rises to the top and the other either takes a while for things to click or they fizzle out. 

That is very true.... Mr. Football, and sometimes his parents, expect to be a starter. Good things come to people who wait.... a sign of true maturity when someone realizes they need to work up the ladder.

40 minutes ago, Mama Sue said:

That is very true.... Mr. Football, and sometimes his parents, expect to be a starter. Good things come to people who wait.... a sign of true maturity when someone realizes they need to work up the ladder.

The kid just wants to play. He isn't playing here. The Coach has his guys he says it often. With McKinney leaving they can move forward and they won't have to talk about this anymore. Best wishes young man. 

• Upvote 1

35 minutes ago, RobThomas said:

The kid just wants to play. He isn't playing here. The Coach has his guys he says it often. With McKinney leaving they can move forward and they won't have to talk about this anymore. Best wishes young man. 

As long as he doesn't pull a Torrey Hunt and have his 'family' tell us he's going to an SEC school...only to years later end up at something called Tiffin. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, UND1983 said:

As long as he doesn't pull a Torrey Hunt and have his 'family' tell us he's going to an SEC school...only to years later end up at something called Tiffin. 

UND 2019 Team Leaders Total Yard's. Wanzek 996, McKinney 724, Tonnevin 684, Boltman 637, Magg 610, Johannason 539, Skokna 389, Gee 269, UND Football Facts 2019...

3 hours ago, RobThomas said:

Total yards leaders 2019 season.

Wow.. Really.. 

UND total yards leaders 2019.