161 members have voted

1. 1. Bubbas Grade

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F

8 minutes ago, Oxbow6 said:

To be blunt FCS is no different FBS in that there's generally 2-3 teams that legitimately have a chance to play for the national championship in any given season. In an occasional season that number goes to 4 or 5. 

But unfortunately it's always the same ONE team in FCS.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Hawkster said:

But unfortunately it's always the same ONE team in FCS.

Then you know what all the other teams need to do...... including UND? Get better. Recruit better, develop players better and coach better.

• Upvote 1

19 hours ago, gundy1124 said:

We need our own magic potion, whether it's how we train, how we eat, how we supplement.  Some team in FCS has it figured out and the 3 items mentioned above are pretty well kept secrets.  I of course know about them.  One of them was almost exposed, they are fairly open about how they specify diets for individuals, and their training toes the line of NCAA guidelines.  Time to really take notice in Grand Forks and tweak some things.  Does anyone think teams like NDSU in FCS and Clemson, Bama, Ohio St are squeaky clean and/or followers?  Nope, they do what they think will get Ws, rules are just a little nuisance to work around.  Not bashing, but admiring.

I’m not sure all successful programs are cheating.  Unfortunately their are coaches who are ok with anything including illegal dollars to top players or “supplements” provided by Strength coaches or “personal trainers “ as long as any violations can’t be traced back to their program or the coaching staff. Virtually everything you need as an athlete can be obtained through proper nutrition and a proper speed and strength program which should be designed for the specific needs of each individual athlete. The supplements often provide money in the pocket of those telling you to take them and more expensive poop.  UND has the resources available to do this right now. President/Dean Wynne, Chaves, Drs Mann and Greek, our Athletic trainers, Poolman, Baukol(sp), the head of our food service, the head of our Dietetics program, the Dept head of Physical therapy, Dept head of Occupational therapy, Dept head psychology and every one of our coaches should have a meeting to identify the needs and wishes of our teams/athletes. We then need to hear from each of the entities above as to how they can participate with the necessary expertise and resources they can provide to create a comprehensive, reportable study of the quality that can be published in the appropriate professional journals so it may be safely duplicated by athletic teams and athletes everywhere. Look for grant dollars to support the program. It is the template to justify HPC2. The new facility isn’t just locker rooms and weight rooms for athletes but it is supposed to be a Sports Medicine research facility as well. Do the same for design of safer protective gear for athletes. Involve the Dean of the college of Engineering and Dean of the College of business to utilize their students/grad students to design equipment but also accounting students/marketing students to manage a viable business plan. Sometimes I wonder what the hell these University staff are there for. The University has a need and we have resources to help achieve success at a bargain price that benefits everyone involved. 

• Upvote 3

Ira you are spot on... so many of these costly supplements actually harm the body too... putting $$$ in the pockets of the sellers... another pyramid scheme.

i guess I thought this was in place already...

how you package it makes all the difference in the world.... we missed out on a library grant because another community built one and called it a multicultural learning center.... ditto for a civic arena grant when another community called their facility a character development facility....

tons of options for UND

20 hours ago, iramurphy said:

I’m not sure all successful programs are cheating.  Unfortunately their are coaches who are ok with anything including illegal dollars to top players or “supplements” provided by Strength coaches or “personal trainers “ as long as any violations can’t be traced back to their program or the coaching staff. Virtually everything you need as an athlete can be obtained through proper nutrition and a proper speed and strength program which should be designed for the specific needs of each individual athlete. The supplements often provide money in the pocket of those telling you to take them and more expensive poop.  UND has the resources available to do this right now. President/Dean Wynne, Chaves, Drs Mann and Greek, our Athletic trainers, Poolman, Baukol(sp), the head of our food service, the head of our Dietetics program, the Dept head of Physical therapy, Dept head of Occupational therapy, Dept head psychology and every one of our coaches should have a meeting to identify the needs and wishes of our teams/athletes. We then need to hear from each of the entities above as to how they can participate with the necessary expertise and resources they can provide to create a comprehensive, reportable study of the quality that can be published in the appropriate professional journals so it may be safely duplicated by athletic teams and athletes everywhere. Look for grant dollars to support the program. It is the template to justify HPC2. The new facility isn’t just locker rooms and weight rooms for athletes but it is supposed to be a Sports Medicine research facility as well. Do the same for design of safer protective gear for athletes. Involve the Dean of the college of Engineering and Dean of the College of business to utilize their students/grad students to design equipment but also accounting students/marketing students to manage a viable business plan. Sometimes I wonder what the hell these University staff are there for. The University has a need and we have resources to help achieve success at a bargain price that benefits everyone involved. 

My honest assessment - Either some of these programs do cheat, and/or some have the resources and personnel to do things different, but within the rules.  Do we have a University that follows what everyone else does, or do we dare to have our own identity?  I hope Chaves is starting to pull this all together.

I like these lines in bold- Virtually everything you need as an athlete can be obtained through proper nutrition and a proper speed and strength program which should be designed for the specific needs of each individual athlete.........President/Dean Wynne, Chaves, Drs Mann and Greek, our Athletic trainers, Poolman, Baukol(sp), the head of our food service, the head of our Dietetics program, the Dept head of Physical therapy, Dept head of Occupational therapy, Dept head psychology and every one of our coaches should have a meeting to identify the needs and wishes of our teams/athletes.    (If we do crack the code, why share it with the entire country, though?)

Sometimes I wonder what the hell these University staff are there for. ( I wonder this all the time!!)  :lol:

• Upvote 1

On 12/21/2019 at 4:44 PM, Old Fella said:

Nothing will change until Bubba & Lowell are gone.

On 12/21/2019 at 9:15 PM, iramurphy said:

Lowell??  Lowell who, and what does He have to do with the state of the program?

On 12/22/2019 at 12:38 AM, iramurphy said:

Please leave family members out of your posts.  Shows a lack of class. 

ira, normally I'm with you, but in this case family is fair game. 

Lowell Schweigert was a member of the UND Intercollegiate Athletics Committee as recently as April 2018 (minutes below), which is during the Bubba Era. I don't know Lowell's present status on that committee as the link of committee members seems dated.  

Meeting Minutes: https://und.edu/academics/university-senate/_files/docs/university-senate/us-agendas-minutes/2017-2018/agenda.05.03.18.pdf 

Frankly, Shannon Schweigert's public media work (radio Tailgate Show) makes him a public figure also vocally supportive of the Bubba Era even though he too is family. 

5 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

Lowell Schweigert was a member of the UND Intercollegiate Athletics Committee as recently as April 2018 (minutes below), which is during the Bubba Era. I don't know Lowell's present status on that committee as the link of committee members seems dated.  

Meeting Minutes: https://und.edu/academics/university-senate/_files/docs/university-senate/us-agendas-minutes/2017-2018/agenda.05.03.18.pdf 

Frankly, Shannon Schweigert's public media work (radio Tailgate Show) makes him a public figure also vocally supportive of the Bubba Era even though he too is family. 

Shannon's work on the Tailgate Show has nothing to do with Bubba's hiring or contract. It has nothing to do with who the football coach is. I assume IF Bubba was not the coach he would still be involved in public media.

7 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

Strasburg-zeeland folks love being second fiddle so it makes sense 

3 hours ago, shep said:

Shannon's work on the Tailgate Show has nothing to do with Bubba's hiring or contract. It has nothing to do with who the football coach is. I assume IF Bubba was not the coach he would still be involved in public media.

Shannon Schweigert had nothing to do with UND media until Bubba was hired and KFGO and Associates got the contract for UND athletics. My guess is as soon as Bubba is gone, Shannon is also. I would think they would want somebody at least partially unbiased and able to criticize a little bit. Kelly Howe, while hardly neutral, is a little more open about criticizing a bit, and actually picked against UND a couple of times. I don't think Shannon picked against his brother once.

10 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

I get your point but I think I see it differently. I would agree Shannon is fair game because he is a member of the media. I still don’t think Lowell would be. If he was on a selection committee, the committee and for the selection, it is fair to criticize. As a volunteer member of either the booster club or a UND Athletic committee I don’t feel he should be subject to public scrutiny because someone doesn’t think his brother should be the FB coach. Lowell has no more to do with the FB team and day to day operations or coaching recruiting than any of the rest of us. 

On to 2020. I hope we don't talk about Bubba getting fired anytime soon (or ever again, for that matter), because if we do, that means 2020 was a disaster. I want UND football wins, not losses. 

On that subject, I hope the staff has made the right decision going with 3 freshmen quarterbacks for 2020. They are talented, but young. Cannot afford a losing season. Spring ball and Fall camp will be telling. 

14 hours ago, iramurphy said:

I get your point but I think I see it differently. I would agree Shannon is fair game because he is a member of the media. I still don’t think Lowell would be. If he was on a selection committee, the committee and for the selection, it is fair to criticize. As a volunteer member of either the booster club or a UND Athletic committee I don’t feel he should be subject to public scrutiny because someone doesn’t think his brother should be the FB coach. Lowell has no more to do with the FB team and day to day operations or coaching recruiting than any of the rest of us. 

You are correct in asserting that in general civilians and/or family should not be criticized on this board.  You are also correct that Lowell has nothing to do with the day to day operations or recruiting for our football team.  However, there is a perception that may be accurate that even though he was not on the selection committee, given his role on the Athletic Committee and UND contacts, his position in the Business community, and the network of older alumni in the area which he was part of that he had some impact on the selection of Bubba over Debor.  There certainly was a group that pushed hard for Bubba because "this is his dream job", "he's one of us", and "he is a part of UND's past success".   I personally witnessed lobbying for Bubba from this group (although not from Lowell).  I'm not saying this is bad - everyone has the right to contact anyone and advocate for what they believe in.  I am saying that I believe Lowell had much more influence than "the rest of us" in regards to the hiring.  

46 minutes ago, Irish said:

You are correct in asserting that in general civilians and/or family should not be criticized on this board.  You are also correct that Lowell has nothing to do with the day to day operations or recruiting for our football team.  However, there is a perception that may be accurate that even though he was not on the selection committee, given his role on the Athletic Committee and UND contacts, his position in the Business community, and the network of older alumni in the area which he was part of that he had some impact on the selection of Bubba over Debor.  There certainly was a group that pushed hard for Bubba because "this is his dream job", "he's one of us", and "he is a part of UND's past success".   I personally witnessed lobbying for Bubba from this group (although not from Lowell).  I'm not saying this is bad - everyone has the right to contact anyone and advocate for what they believe in.  I am saying that I believe Lowell had much more influence than "the rest of us" in regards to the hiring.  

There were many people who supported Lowell. I would expect Lowell and other friends and family of Bubba would lobby on his behalf. There were also those who opposed the hiring of DeBore because of the perception that he recruited kids to SF that weren’t your best citizens. The application pool wasn’t as deep as some may have thought and UND wasn’t throwing any extra money into the pot. I’m not sure Lowell has as much influence in hiring and firing as some think but I was never close to Faison. Regardless, I still think comments that the program won’t move forward until Lowell is gone show a real lack of class even if someone wants Bubba gone. Merry Christmas everyone. 

I think it shows a lack of class also. Granted, I have had minimal contact with Bubba and his family.... but maybe more than you think during a play off game.... I found them all wonderful people and VERY supportive of UND.

There is some bad karma out there that I personally do not attribute 100% to coaching.  I’ve seen too many nursing administrators with their hands tied behind their backs.....can’t see Bubba in a negative light... just can’t!

• Upvote 1

58 minutes ago, iramurphy said:

There were many people who supported Lowell. I would expect Lowell and other friends and family of Bubba would lobby on his behalf. There were also those who opposed the hiring of DeBore because of the perception that he recruited kids to SF that weren’t your best citizens. The application pool wasn’t as deep as some may have thought and UND wasn’t throwing any extra money into the pot. I’m not sure Lowell has as much influence in hiring and firing as some think but I was never close to Faison. Regardless, I still think comments that the program won’t move forward until Lowell is gone show a real lack of class even if someone wants Bubba gone. Merry Christmas everyone. 

Merry Christmas to you too - I enjoy your posts greatly.  And I'm not saying lobbying for Bubba was wrong in any way.  I was slightly in the Deboer camp but thought Bubba was a good hire and brought some qualities we needed after Muss.  Here's hoping everything falls into place next year.  We have some nice things to build on.   

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, SteppenHawk said:

The coaching "family" has been small for about 4 decades now. Bubba was part of that family and a big reason why he got the job.

Marv Helling, Jerry Olson, Gene Murphy, Pat Behrns, Roger Thomas, Dale Lennon, Chris Mussman, Bubba Schweigert. 

Every head coach had been a UND assistant at one time. It has actually been over 50 years. Only Pat Berhns failed to win at least a conference championship. Olson, Murphy, Thomas and Bubba turned program around when struggling. To be fair to Mussman he was the sacrificial lamb during transition with little direction or help from administration.  The Berhns years were the most disappointing in the 50 yrs. He was a good recruiter but many of his assistants came from lower level programs. We often were successful recruiting the players we went after but too often recruited players who were not able to excel at this level. On the other hand they also recruited some of our best ever. (Tracy Martin, Willis Jacox, Norm Magee, etc). It took Roger a number of years to rebuild the program which was in great shape when Dale took over.  The jury is still out on Bubba with a Big Sky Championship and 2 playoff appearances but, overall the “family” approach has worked. It shouldn’t be the deciding factor by any means but has worked for the most part. 

• Upvote 1

33 minutes ago, iramurphy said:

Marv Helling, Jerry Olson, Gene Murphy, Pat Behrns, Roger Thomas, Dale Lennon, Chris Mussman, Bubba Schweigert. 

Every head coach had been a UND assistant at one time. It has actually been over 50 years. Only Pat Berhns failed to win at least a conference championship. Olson, Murphy, Thomas and Bubba turned program around when struggling. To be fair to Mussman he was the sacrificial lamb during transition with little direction or help from administration.  The Berhns years were the most disappointing in the 50 yrs. He was a good recruiter but many of his assistants came from lower level programs. We often were successful recruiting the players we went after but too often recruited players who were not able to excel at this level. On the other hand they also recruited some of our best ever. (Tracy Martin, Willis Jacox, Norm Magee, etc). It took Roger a number of years to rebuild the program which was in great shape when Dale took over.  The jury is still out on Bubba with a Big Sky Championship and 2 playoff appearances but, overall the “family” approach has worked. It shouldn’t be the deciding factor by any means but has worked for the most part. 

Berhns had lower level assistants because nobody could stand working for him. I was there 4 years during his time.  He was the only one left from time I started to when I was done.  All assistants, trainers, etc were gone.  Some turned over twice. 

1 hour ago, iramurphy said:

Berhns did not succeed at UND but he did at UNO - until they dropped the program out from underneath him. 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, CMSioux said:

Berhns did not succeed at UND but he did at UNO - until they dropped the program out from underneath him. 

He went to Utah State as an Asst which I believe was beneficial. He was frustrated with his lack of success and recognized they weren’t doing a good job of evaluating prospects. He also regretted hiring many assistants from D3/NAIA programs. Last I heard he was charged with soliciting in a sting operation across the border from Omaha. I never heard how it was resolved. Not sure what happened to him. 

6 hours ago, iramurphy said:

He went to Utah State as an Asst which I believe was beneficial. He was frustrated with his lack of success and recognized they weren’t doing a good job of evaluating prospects. He also regretted hiring many assistants from D3/NAIA programs. Last I heard he was charged with soliciting in a sting operation across the border from Omaha. I never heard how it was resolved. Not sure what happened to him. 

Wiki shows he won 7 NCC championships at UNO. I remember he was a solid DC at UND but boy did he holler a lot at half time.

9 hours ago, iramurphy said:

Ms. Emily (as in Post)

Very Classy/posting what you HEARD.